Why is buying designer items like a drug to me?

Whenever I buy a designer item for $500 for example, I get this major rush that might last a few days and then I want more. It's not necessarily because I want another item - I think it's the feeling. Why?

I also live in Singapore where it is the city of materialism.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a psychological disorder called Compulsive Buying (CB). It's rated at the same as alcoholism , eating disorder and drugs abuse.
    Might want to get that worked on before a mountain of debt tips over and crush your bejoolies.

• Thanks. It's odd because I haven't done a major spend in a few months and I feel really proud of myself.. Like it's a legit accomplishment.

• As long as you've got a sound financial plan , a little self-indulgence ain't too bad.

• Thanks for the MHG

What Guys Said 4

• Your update practically answered your own question. It's the same everyone, you see people around you value material things so you follow.

Honestly if you have money, you go ahead buy what you gotta buy. If you're broke and just loading on credit cards then you may have to make some choices.

• Better clean yourself up before you start to deal with loads and loads of credit card debt

• A dude that makes you go through highs and lows is even more addicting haha

• I have the same thing with tech stuff.

What Girls Said 4

• i guess its because you like quality... but personally i don't and will never buy designer items :( :/

• Cool! Now if only i were rich! haha!

• I feel the same tbh, although I get that rush when I'm buying things in general ahaha, as designer items with the large price tag are hard to come by as a highschool student.

• I have no idea. I have never felt that way in my life. Maybe it's connected to the way you were brought up?