What exactly is the point on spending thousands on a designer bag?

I have plenty of cute, cheap bags that have lasted me years.

Most Helpful Guy

• could be 1 of many reasons like people listed here or a combination of a few.

at least they use it. when shit becomes stupid is when people buy really nice things and don't even use it for it's intended purpose, they just coddle it better than they coddled their first newborn.

guy buys a 458 italia, leaves it in the garage and takes it out for 1 hour once a day out of the week or a month instead of taking that baby to the track and hitting redline like it was meant to be.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on the quality of the brand. Some designer brands are actually really cheaply made like Miumiu (includes bags and clothes) despite the fact that they costs like $2,000. Also a lot of designer sunglasses for instance are made in the same factory as H&M. It's just different materials (sometimes) but same factory.
    But there are times where the bags last for a long time, I've especially noticed it when it comes to Louis Vuitton travel bags, they last for decadess. Chanel tends to last for a long time as well. But sadly, majority of the time designer bags are pretty much just for show, and some are goregous but majority look so ugly. 😂

What Guys Said 24

• purely a status thing. i mean i guess some may like the look but generally they like the look because of the price tag associated with it

• The whole point of this is social status. The clothes you wear, the car you drive, your education, profession, your house, accessory it's just one giant big way of bragging to people that you are better than them.

Hence, why people will pay extra money for well known brand name shoes/shirts and so forth even though it's no better in material than another line that's cheaper.

• I don't know. Im like you and find it ridiculous of the amount of money women spend. We don't notice it. Well I guess I do but then I'm like do I really wanna date a chick who only makes $15 an hour spending a few grand on a purse? I ain't saying she's a gold digger...

• It's just a status symbol aND a way to comeet wit other girls. Like who's got the newest most expensive bad.

I guess in a way, it's the equivalent of guys who buy expensive cars.

• Compete*

• I don't know, a BMW drives differently than a Corolla. A bag carries your stuff pretty much the same way no matter the cost.

• A vanity thing OR they actually have the eye to appreciate good workmanship on a designer bag that's made in Milan instead of say... Pakistan , the later is rarer that the former.

• Making a statement. Flaunting. "Hey look at me, I have more money than I can spend!"

• There is no point, because it's stupid, especially when you can buy just as good quality or good looking clothes for way cheaper.

• Personal satisfaction, quality, status

• I don't get it either. Personally, I can't tell the difference between a real one and the fake ones they sell on Canal Street in Chinatown.

• 'status', honestly if you want to spend that much on a bag for so you can be seen owning it, you don't deserve to have enough money to buy it

• It's more of a status symbol than anything else. Sure those bags (Louis V, Gucci, Prada, Hermes) are nice but if you can't afford it without going into debt then you shouldn't be buying it.

• Status Symbol and putting yourself higher in the social hierachy ranking.

• I have no idea

• keyword plenty

sometimes people want one bag that'll last a lifetime.

• You are a girl, you should know..

• Idek lol no guy pay attention to that I'm pretty sure

• Bitches like to be patted on the head for getting a dog bone.

• There isn't a point, it's just a dumb way for rich people to try and be better than other people

• The point is you have too much money and there really isn't that much stuff to spend it on.

• status

• Status.

• Same reason people buy iPhones...

• Status... Girls are incredibly competitive with other girls.

• Filling a gap in your heart.

What Girls Said 18

• Maybe the person really likes the bag, it has a special meaning to them, they want something that will last FOREVER, or they just want a status symbol.

• It's actually an investment, my parents gave me a limited edition Chanel bag for my birthday a few years ago and I could sell it for much more than its original price now. Maybe in a decade or so it's worth will have doubled. Think of it as stocks, and of course they're also a great status symbol for people who like to show off :P

• I don't personally see a point. I get investing in a decent bag that wasn't made by some severely underpaid soul, but 1000's of dollars? Donate to charity or put that away for a rainy day, screw the purse.

• Some people are just materialistic. My dad for instance swears he will never be satisfied until he has the biggest house, the nicest cars, the perfect family, the highest income. This makes absolutely 0 sense to me as we're all gonna die anyways. For me, if the item does what it's supposed to I am satisfied. My biggest goal in life is to be comfortable, so long as I have a roof over my head, clothes on my body, food in my stomach, and water in my cup, none of the finer details matter.

• So someone makes $20,000 a month and decides to spend $1,000 on a bag while another person makes $2,000 a month and decides to spend $100 on a bag, is one person really more irresponsible or is that just your viewpoint?
    Some bags are stylish and classy and maybe they just like them. I don't see the problem.

• because its a PRIDE THING! you wouldn't understand!

• The label, I guess. People will pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a brand.

• I like designer clothes, always have lol
    usually you have better quality some of the brands have distinctive styles that I like and go for.
    also yea stature haha

• Hmm I never understood it until I was in high school, when I started song my bag a lot. But When I would get a cheaper bag it would last me only a few months. I have deigned bags from 4 years ago that still look brand new. It's an investment in my opinion. However, I don't know if I could ever justify a michael kors

• Its a statement and status thing. I dont even like carrying around a purse so I wouldn't buy one thats thousands of dollars.

• Why do people buy nice cars, or houses, or shoes? Same thing, it's just what they wanna spend their money on

• Cause they're idiots

• Keeping up with status

• In my opinion for investment purposes only.

• Very interesting question

• I only have 4 really expensive bags and the rest are from h&m etc. i agree with you! It's kind of pointless. Maybe people wanna show off?

• Because some people can

• I have no clue why people do that.