Why do people get upset about genuine fur but not genuine leather?

In fact I've come across people who bash people wearing genuine fur but go crazy in love about real leather bags, as if it's not the same thing?
What on earth do they think leather is made of?
What do you think leather is made of? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Also, do you think fur industry is bad? Or the leather industry? Or both? Or none? Why?

Most Helpful Guy

• I dont know why people would bash either honestly, let me do my thing and you can do yours. Dont agree with fur? Fine, you can abstain but please don't hand out unsolicited lectures. If i buy a fur lined coat it's because i like it, there is no ulterior motive or statement there.

We have been wearing animal skins since we learnt how to stand upright, and synthetic textiles still come from oil which is drilled up from the ground and destroys an ecosystem somewhere else. The vocal minority think just because something doesn't have a face on it, that no harm comes to the planet when it's produced. Most of them are full of hyprocrisy and cherry pick the emotional argument to suit them, leaving out the science and logic.

What Guys Said 12

• because animals are smashed to death with a baseball bat for collecting the fur undamaged. in other words, these animals are not killed for their meat, but for the pelt. cows and stuff are killed for their meat, and we dont throw the leather away because it is a great raw material. so in this case animals are not killed for their skin/pelt in the first place.

• poachers used that method to kill seals for their fur.

• you don't kill them with a bat! you do as humane as possible. with a kind of piston gun. but sure your argument is very valid :)

• I don't think the fur industry is bad! I am a wildlife biologist and I know a lot of people don't like culling of animals because they are really cute, but some species do not have natural predators, so I see a lot of disease because of over-populating.

I do however, not believe in waste, therefore taking an animal for their skin is entirely too wasteful. The majority of animals that are trapped can be eaten or used for feeding domestic animals.

So I guess I am okay with furring as long as there is little waste, and as a means of population control.

• Leather mostly comes from commercially farmed animals which are usually food-grade and have to be kept in better conditions to meet food safety standards and regulations.

Animals farmed and caught for fur don't have the luxury of such legal restrictions since it doesn't really matter what kind of condition the rest of the animal is in as long as the fur is ok to sell.
    What this means is that the animals are often beaten, mutilated and left stacked on each other in tight cages.
    If the animals shit or bleed on each other you just wash the fur clean, if they die to gangrene or infections as a result of smacked-in heads and torn off limbs then you just skin them dead as opposed to skinning them alive like you do usually.

• Most people complain about fur because it comes from cute, fuzzy animals. These people can be ignored.

There's still a valid argument, however, when you talk about animals that are wastefully killed only for their fur. Most leather comes from cattle, and cattle are fairly efficiently used. There's a lot less waste in leather production compared to something like fox fur.

• what @anonman32 said. there is a big difference. leather is a byproduct and unless you are vegetarian/vegan, there doesn't speak much about it unless we talk about some special types like crocodile leather.

with fur it's different... the animals are kept and killed in a cruel way and only for the fur.

• They prefer running cows down a convener belt to a ban saw that chops off their head then another ban saw that chops them in half, to an animal being hung in a snare trap. Blood and gore is how they role.

• None, I'm not one of those PETA followers. I wear both leather and fur, that's my choice, I still love animals though. If this is such a big issue, why are leather boots so popular and why are fur coats regarded so highly as a status-symbol.

• Nobody here cares, except for a few extremists.

It's just not as common to see fur except on parka hoods.

• I don't really care actually I like fur and leather both

• Well, fur offend comes from animals that cannot be domesticated, like beaver and mink. Therefor they have to be hunted and they are being hunted to extinction. Also in some countries they skin the animals while they are still alive. Wheras leather mainly comes from cows, sheep, pigs etc. which can be domesticated and are killed more humanely than other animals.

• Fur is not generally taken from domestic animals. Often they are raised for fur, such as chinchillas, but they are really wild animals being kept penned up.

Pigs, cows, sheep and goats are raised for food and fiber, the leather is a byproduct.

• Well, i don't necessarily agree with either.

I think some people believe there's surplus leather left from the food industry.

I think some people have major concerns with how animals are trapped for fur.

• I don’t think for both fur industry and leather industry is bad. But in the case of clothing, the fur industry is more popular than leather industry These days are called as fashion days. Last season, I bought some fur accessories like real fur hats, real fur scarves and fur collars, etc. from an online store "Amifur”.

What Girls Said 10

• people get upset about everything!

• I think die hards are but generally one can still use the meat from the cow that provided the leather while the fur is just killing for fur.

• Because more often than not, animals killed for fur are only killed for that reason, making it inhumane. Whereas with cows, the leather is a surplus material, as they're killed for their meat too.

• So there's a Canadian shoe company called Manitobah Mukluks. They make winter boots and moccasins, mostly. All of the fur, leather and suede that they use are by-products of the meat industry. They're also a MΓ©tis company, so of course I'm going to support that.

I'm not opposed to responsible animal husbandry. If you must kill an animal, kill it so that it can be fully utilized. I don't like waste. To kill an animal but not use its skins and furs is wasteful.

• Hypocrisy

• I do not know, but I love leather to death

• I have both and love both

• More a leather girl, but I do like fur

• Love leather to death!!!

• The thing about the leather industry is that its typically the hides of animals that were raised for meat.
    Now, the fur industry? Those creatures are raised specifically for their skin. In horrible conditions. If you're going to wear it, at least eat it so it's not being killed for nothing.