What type of bathing suit looks good on a plus sized girl?

I'm incredibly self conscious, and it's been literally 3 years since I've worn a swim suit out in public. I usually stay home when the family tells me they're going to swim because I know I'm too worried about my INCREDIBLY pale, fat thighs, belly, and arms to actually enjoy myself. I've even sat in jeans and a t shirt in the Kentucky sun because my aunt dragged me along to a water park with her. I know it's ridiculous of me, but I'm a teenage girl. I'm sensitive. I'm a wimp. And I know for a fact that people are judging me, no matter how much everyone else wants to say that they won't. That's a lie, and I know it, so don't just ay that I can wear whatever I want to. I need a bathing suit that'll make me feel less uncomfortable with showing my legs, arms, and the size of my belly. Any suggestions? (Post a link if possible)

Also, I'm not the good kind of overweight where I'm just bigger. I have rolls in just about every place they can be seen, and I have no boobs. I have lumps and bumps and curves in all of the WRONG places, so please no bikinis!

Most Helpful Guy

• One piece... no bright colors...

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly you're fine in terms of judging. It's only the donkeys who'll actually start crap about it. I'd suggest a rash guard and bike shorts/athletic shorts for a swimsuit. A rash guard is essentially a t-shirt or 3/4 sleeve top that feels like a swimsuit. Athletic shorts typically accompany it so if you want you can tuck the ends into the waistband. You can get a good quality cheep pair from old navy. But honestly you'll be fine if you wear anything else. Don't let insecurities control your life. Hope this helps

What Guys Said 6

• Here's a question for you..,... why are you worried about what people think about you? Go get a swimsuit that you feel comfortable in. Then rock that shit!! Be comfortable being you and being in your body. If they don't like it, fuck them. You're not there to impress them. You're at the beach/ water park to have fun!

• I'm not comfortable with a lot of skin showing, and I can't enjoy myself if I know that other people are judging me. I strive to impress, and I think of myself as ugly even when others aren't saying so. I can't control how self conscious I am, it's just something I'ms tuck with. The only way to have fun is to know tthat I'll have minimal people making fun of me.

• You'd have to be crazy not to give this guy MHO. When i ask these sorts of questions I'm mainly told lose weight because my body is digusting. Of course i don't care what they say because I love my body the way it is.
      As for you. I wore a bikini top with swimsuit panties.

• @Imasanegirl thank you for thinking I should get MHO! And regardless of a girls size, wear what ever the fuck you want. The one down side I've seen about you ladies is you're a lot more judgmental about yourself than the world is! I'll bet you rocked your swimsuit and looked hella good! 😉

• You are right, people would look and judge and you would come out in a negative light.

The less clingy and more coverage the better.

• No suit tbh lol

• One peice i dont know. Work out, eat right, swimming is good excersize

• This isn't asking how to lose weight. No where in this did I say "Hey guys, how do I lose weight?"

• Yes, I am totally indirectly asking you how to lose weight by asking you what bathing suit I should wear. Man, so sorry I didn't realize it before. I mean if you read really really REAAAAALLY in between the lines, you can almost kind of sort of slightly see how I'd be asking for you to train me in weight lose. Thanks pal, I sure owe ya one!

• Calm. down, shit im sorry for offending you. Im just saying you shouldn't avoid pools or beaches because they are gokd excersize, and great fun.

• Keep your fat ass out the pool!!

• You're the kind of person I'm glad I'm fat for. I'd totally sit on you and crush your spine.

• Lmfao! Nice wan! You tell him girl. Lol

• why do you want to be plus size?

• i agree aha like of course some people have disorders e. g binge eating disorder which is so sad but that only represents such a small percentage of overweight people. The fact that this girl is under 18 is even sadder because nobody should be overweight at that age.

• having said what i've said, which I'm sure you already knew, I think it's really great that you're doing something about it because at the end of the day, I'm sure you're beautiful- but being as fat as you described is unhealthy. I have no problem with fat people, and I have a lot of admiration for fat people who are trying to become healthier, like yourself. However, what I'm fed up with is people complaining (usually girls) that it is harder for them to lose weight for whatever reason. It is hard for you to lose weight because the fatter you get the harder it is.

• @Laurhaxox I wasn't born with a disorder causing me to be large. In fact, I was an average sized kid. I gaineda ton ofweight within the span of three years, and I even convinced my mom to get a planet fitness membership to combat my random weight gain. Turns out I have a fucked up gland somewhere (can't remember the name of whatever the doctor told me I had) And it hasn't made me gain weight in awhile, but it makes it incredibly difficult to lose it and keep it off. It's as if my body wants me to stay at a constant 220 lbs. I lose 10 pounds then gain it back almost immediately.

What Girls Said 14

• There is no shame in being insecure. As a fellow plus-sized woman, it's never easy to put yourself out there. Especially during the summer. We see so many images of what society says we are supposed to look like, and everyone seems to be getting ready for bikini season. It can all feel a bit isolating for us plus size gals.

As a teen, I had to wear tankinis and one pieces while my friends rocked cute bikinis. The tankinis available to me in my teenage years were styled for people who were much older. No cute designs or colours.

The wonderful thing about now is that there are SO MANY OPTIONS! :D

My favourite website is Swimsuits for all: www.swimsuitsforall.com/

I'm not sure what size you are, but I'm a size 18 and I have to wear a 24 on this site. But the bathing suits are pretty good quality. Though they aren't cheap.

Another great place is forever 21. Cute designs and colours for plus size women! I also recommend Lane bryant as well. Monif c is also amazing, but they are very expensive!

The best option is to go to a store that caters to plus size people. That is where you will feel most comfortable. It sucks going to a store where the plus size bathing suits are hidden at the back of the store, and no staff are educated on sizing for plus size people.

The best thing to do is try on a bunch of different styles. Find one that you are comfortable wearing and that makes you feel good!

I just recently purchased 2 bikinis this year! I am planning on rocking them at the beach. Will some people not like it? Possibly. But I don't live my life for them, and neither should you!

I am 26 and I spent a lot of my life feeling self-conscious about my body and hiding. I didn't swim for several years (even though I love the water) because I was self-conscious. I was so worried that someone was going to criticize me for wanting to swim as a plus size lady! But you know what, in all the times I've been at the beach, no one has said anything to me!

Don't just go with the bathing suit that hides you. Go with one you actually like! :)

My other advice is if you feel too pale, get a spray tan. That might also help boost your confidence!

• Thanks for the advice! I'm glad I'm not alone. But as a teen who has to buy everything for herself, I have a tiny little budget :/

• That's the rough part of being plus size. The cost of clothing is ridiculous! But hopefully you can find something. You could even try Wal-mart or target. Sometimes they have stuff there that is super cute!

• High waisted bikinis look cute on plus sized girls, it brings out the curves (in a flattering way) and it's kinda trendy. Avoid horizontal stripes and opt for darker colours. Horizontal stripes make you look wider and darker colours will help give a slimmer illusion. If you don't want to wear a bikini you can always wear a full swim suit. Just avoid anything that will dig into your skin or look too tight, you want to be comfortable with what you're wearing.
    One last thing, people will only judge you if you let them. If you show you're confident and comfortable with your body, no one can get to you or hurt your feelings. ;) x

• High waisted swimming costumes are good, I think. Generally, they're just really cute, but they'll also help detract some of the attention from your stomach. One piece swimsuits are good too. Honestly, just wear something that you like, don't bother with checking if the style is flattering or not. If you try something on and you feel happy in it, then you should wear it. But here's some stuff about plus size swimming costumes:

www.buzzfeed.com/tolanishoneye/plussizewomenslay

www.buzzfeed.com/.../tankinis-need-not-apply

Hope you see something you like :)

• I'm very bad at taking criticism, so if one single person made a comment I'd probably burst into tears tbh. That's why I'm trying to find a good outfit to wear. I also don't feel comfortable showing off a lot of skin, so either way to be comfortable I'd need to be covered. Thanks for the links!

• Him wear whatever. It looks fine!

• 0|0
    • Thanks! The swim dress is actually what caught my eye while I was scrolling through search results

• There's no easy way to get over this body confidence but it's a journey that will happen as you get older. You honestly need to put some effort into loving yourself and seeing the positives but i also understand that this is extremely difficult especially if you already have a negative mindset. But hopefully one day you will just not give a shit anymore and will feel beautiful in anything.

• You could always just wear a baggy top over a bikini if you feel self-conscious, I have friends that do that every time we go swimming together ((:

• Vintage ones with a higher waist and longer line in the top. Very very flattering. Think pin up.

• You could always try tankinis or swimsuits with skirts

• Two things:

If you feel this way, why not change? Why not either lose weight to be happy, or embrace the body. (I don't know how heavy you think is plus-sized either, so I can't really tell you anything other than these.)

And I'd say a one piece with boy shorts might make you feel more comfortable.

• I have a disorder that causes my weight to mess up. I can lose weight slowly but it comes back withing weeks. I lost 10 pounds one week, then the next I had gained 10 back. it usually makes it just stay the same no matter what I do, even with exercise and diet. Althought that doesn't matter since that's not what this question was. Thanks.

• No, but you're clearly struggling with it do I wanted to know the circumstances to give a good answer. I'm sorry about your condition, as I said before all you can do is embrace it then.

• If you pm me a picture, I can send you some ideas. I have friends with rolls and no boobs and they wear swimsuits all the time.

• one pieces would look fab !

• 0|0
    • Thanks for the link :)

• Unfortunately I can't afford a single outfit on there._.

• none

• Hello Hateful, I would ask how your day was but you seem grouchy, so probably bad eh?

• hey I am phat, too I understand!