Why does my hair fall out and what can I do about it?

so i realised that recently my hair is falling out! i don't straighten it anymore nor do i use a hair dryer. I don't have any stress at the moment so why is it falling out that much? i'm 18 years old and this is worrying me pls anyone tell me how to stop this, the amount of hair i'm losing is tbh not normal for the past month

Most Helpful Guy

• There are many reasons. Hormonal, not enough nutrition, stress, all kinds of stuff. Any change in your habits recently? I mean if it's like falling out a lot and creating bald spots then you should see a doctor. Otherwise if it's like a few strands a day I wouldn't worry.

• no there are no bald spots but a lot of hair is falling out

• You seem to be relaxed. In my opinion you should see a doctor. We can't diagnose you online since we don't see the situation IRL. There are many causes for hair loss. It's normal to lose hair if you have a lot of it. But when you start getting bald spots then it's time to worry. Any other symptoms? For example change in mood etc.

Most Helpful Girl

• Diet, are you eating right? Also you need to brush you hair every day in order to stimulate your scalp which will keep it healthy.

• i am not on a diet and eat properly but i don't brush it since i have natural curly hair and that'd be unecessary? thanks for the information!

• Yea I'd say try brushing it more regularly, try twice a day, just morning and night and see how it goes after like two-ish weeks

• Thanks for MH! :)

What Guys Said 10

• You may have a severe vitamin deficiency which can easily be diagnosed with a blood test. Also, this may be indicative of onset of some type of autoimmune disorder. Another blood test for that is called ANA (antinuclear antigen) which can detect autoimmune disorders. Also, have you started on birth control recently or changed type of dosage of your birth control? At age 18 you are going through a sea of hormone changes which can shift like the sands causing imbalances. Add to those changes any meds & you could have difficulties.
    Best of luck to you.
    I am not a doctor so please see a real physician to have this checked out.

• Is it in patches or in a pattern? Here is what you do pretend to be a lesbian make a girl your girlfriend when she is asleep in your house take some scissors and glue her hair onto yours. LOL jk go to the doctor people on here aren't doctors there are many things that could cause hair loss and different reasons why you get hair loss. Even then its probably nothing your a woman and you have long hair so its to be expected for some of your hair to fall out & fun fact all humans of at least 10% of hair falling out in their scalp

• It's probably stressed related or you're clogging your poors somehow.

• It may be Iron deficiency

• You need to have this conversation with your doctor.
    At your age, the most likely causes are products such as hair dyes.

• Don't know much about girl's hair but because I have suffered from the same thing it's most probably because of lack of nutrients 😶!

• Could be genes, could be stress, could be black mold in the home, could be hair dye, could be shampoo which dehydrates, also could be certain foods

• It may be because of poor diet and just need to take some vitamin supplement or could be due to change of season too and it's just transitional. I would check out ferritin levels, because poor iron levels is one of the most common causes of hair loss in 20/30-year-old women.

• It's be stress. You need to relax more. It's easier said than done though I know.

• i have holidays and nothing to do all day just having fun and going out there's really no stress

• i would go see a dermatologist.

What Girls Said 4

• I've had trouble with my hair falling out too. I know it can feel terrifying because it's so dramatic and it sticks with you because it takes a while for your hair to grow back to it's former glory. Thankfully, there are a ton of different reasons your hair could be falling out.

How long have you noticed this happening? What I find with hair, is it takes a bit for the stress to 'cycle' down into my hair. Like, my hair will fall out and I'm not stressed at all, but I just finished exams a couple weeks ago. Also consider that it isn't just emotional stress- physical stresses on the body count too, like really challenging workouts or illnesses. Hormones could also be to blame, especially if you recently started/went off any form of BC. Diet is also huge, especially iron and vitamin B12.

Also, this sounds stupid, but how are you judging that you are losing hair? I know you mentioned no bald spots, but can you feel the difference when grabbing your hair for a ponytail? Or does it just look like more than usual is falling out? Because tighter hairstyles can restrain your hair so the bits that normally fall out during the day come out when you take it down, and it looks like soo much!

• now that you mention it i had exams a two weeks ago as well and i was soooooo stressed because i studied non-stop, it started happening when i was in stress because of my exams but now i don't have any exams and it's getting worse, i always see my hair on the ground in the house it never used to be like that, whenever i comb my hand through my hair lightly there are a lot of strands in my hand and whenever i shower there is a handful of hair stuck in the drain, my hair looks like it always does tho

• It sounds like it might be the stress. Even though you know you are fine, your body was like, I'm not gonna put resources into hair when I may have to go kill a bear or whatever. It will take a little while to stockpile good hair making proteins again for hair. (BTW, totally not a doc, this it just how I understand it.) If you can't feel a difference holding your hair, I wouldn't worry. A little more time, and things should go back to normal. Good luck :)

• Perhaps it is Best from the Rest @yourwafu to go see your doctor who may be able to Best Assist you.
    It could be some Sort of Sudden Vitamin Deficiency problem, and the Sooner you go to find out, the better off by Far you Are.
    I have heard of many women whose 'Hair fall out' and there are different products on the market for Thinning hair and Growth Growing hair.
    All is not Lost, just make this appointment today.
    Good luck. xx

• When I was 18 I lost a lot of hair
    When I first moved to France, apparently the change of water can lead to hair fall? I don't know :/
    Have you dyed your hair lately?

• It sound hormonal.