Girls, what's with the attraction to the phone?

I actually prefer to meet a girl in person rather than chat on the phone, but I always get the feeling that girls attach great importance to handing out phone numbers and how/when the guy calls them.

A couple question for the girls out there:

-Why do girls like talking on the phone so much?

-When a guy calls you, do you always assume it's because he likes you?

-Do you ever call a guy you like first?

-How often should a guy call a girl if he's interested in her but they're not dating?

Most Helpful Girl

• Talking on the phone is not as great as talking to someone in real life..i don't really call my boyfriend and even with text I don't go too overboard with it..but I'm sure you're talking about when a guy and girl first met..and she handed out her phone number to you right?

to answer your questions

-every girl is different..i don't really like talking on the phone once I established a relationship with my boyfriend..BUT..the very first time I met someone lets say over the internet and I gave him my number I would like to feel comfortable with talking to you on the phone first rather than meeting you straight up..the reason why its because I want to make sure you're not a creeper (plus meeting someone from the internet is dangerous), and its a confirmation..for example: if the guy supposedly says he's 18 and in the phone he sounds like a 40 year old then bye bye to you...

-i wouldn't assume the guy likes me because he calls..the very first time I met my bf..we were realy close friends and I decided to give my number and we ended up talking on the phone instead of the internet..however, I would assume the guy likes me or at least interested in me if he says "i miss talking to you buddy" or calls me right away after work just to talk..

-i've called a guy I like first..but that was back in middle school lol..but if I am interested, I would give him my number; of course after I get to know him a little bit and know his purpose..(I hate guys that just wants to hook up and expect me to give him my number)..but again every one is different

-this question is tricky because you don't want to drive her nuts..it all depends if the girl likes you too..if you call her and she's not as interested..then you're just going to get ignored..to know if the girl likes you back, start by texting her..see if she respond..and then stop for a little bit..and call her and start off with "you're not going to believe what just happened to me" conversation..and see how well she respond..like if she sounds like she's excited then she's glad you called..and if she sounds dull and answers with uhuh..yeah...oh really?...oh cool...uhuh..suure..then leave her alone..

hope this helps..and like I said every one is different..

What Girls Said 18

• - Personally, I'm not big on telephones. But I understand that some girls consider it important for bonding. I wouldn't know if they feel it's superior to talking face-to-face (because you can't just stare at their breasts the whole time while pretending to listen? I don't know...), but in general, the more you've talked to a girl/gotten to know each other, the more comfortable she is with the relationship.

- I don't assume that. I have plenty of guy-friends who call me all the time. I think girls who don't have male friends are more likely to assume you like them, but once again, that's just speculation on my part.

-Yes. Why not?

-I can't give you an arbitrary number of calls that's either "safe" or "excessive", because it all depends on the situation. If you have legitimate reasons to call her besides just wanting to talk, then as many times as necessary, even if the conversations turn personal. If you want to call solely to hear the sound of her voice...I guess only if she sounds receptive when you call her. For some girls that could be every day, others once a week, etc. You should be able to tell if she's interested in talking to you.

• 1. we like talking on the phone to the guy we like because we can hear his voice and where he is and stuff. I love listening to my bf's voice

2. no I do not assume if a random guy calls me that he automatically likes me

3. I haven't done that yet. It's usually the guy calling me

4. I find that at least 2 times a week keeps me happy. Every girl's answers will vary

• I hate talking on the phone. I don't know why, its just something that I've always hated. I'd much rather IM or text someone than talk to them on the phone. As for your other questions, if a guy was to call me to "just talk" then I would assume he liked me. If he had another reason, I would assume it was for that and not that he liked me. I don't think you should call a girl more than once a day, if you aren't dating or anything, but anything less than that would seem fine. It really depends on how much you are communicating in other means; ie in person, via email, text, or IM.

• I actually hate the phone with a passion. I avoid talking on the phone as much as possible. I rarely even call my boyfriend, unless I have no other way of reaching him. Usually, I prefer talking to him online or in person. He doesn't call me often, either, because he also doesn't like the phone, and he knows how I don't like it, either. I suppose some girls may like it though because they want to be able to here their boyfriend's voice, even if they can't see each other at the moment. And also, it's a bit easier to distinguish how someone is feeling or what they mean by the tone of their voice than talking online.

• I'm a girl, and not a big phone talker.

I think it's funny when my friends say they talked to their new guy for hours on end... later to realize no avail. I think it takes away the spark. Wait until you see each other in person. What usually works is calling to see how your week was going, or thanks for coming out. Keep it simple.

1. I don't always assume he likes me. Guy friends call... why should this be any different?

2. I never call first.. Make him work for it!

3. Once if you like her, but make it clear you want to go out.

Not talking on the phone constantly, and leaving a little to people's thoughts actually works. I've seen it happen.

• 1) most girls may like to hand their number out instead of meeting in person because they might like you and are shy.. they may not feel confiden about themselfs so compliments are a good way yo move that step forward but if she didn't seem very interested when she gave it to you, she might just be looking for a bit of flirting for a few days then never meet again.

2) it depends why he's calling, if he calls you to see if you and your friends are out yet then I wouldn't assume that, but if its just for chat or to ask a pointless question which has a simple answer that anyone could know.. then yes, I'd think he likes me.

3) noo, girls won't usually call first.. they like to see if the boy cares, we know they do if they ring first.. we don't want to seem to egar.

4) if your not datinggggg, twice is a nice amount.. in the moring or around lunch time, just so you can see what they are up too, wondering if you want to meet or something. them at night, before bed, just for a nice chat, shee how her day was, and to wish her sweet dreams is so cute.. it shows you care without haveing to tell her you love her or want to get with her.

hope I've helped :D x

• -Why do girls like talking on the phone so much?

honestly I don't , I like texting more. probally because I feel like I sound stupid on the phone

i don't fully assume that , but I think he is at least interested

-Do you ever call a guy you like first?

no , not unless I was going out with him

i think he can call me first

idk , not too much so she thinks your stalkin. but enough for her to know your interested

• 1. Its not that we LOVE talking on the phone all the time, its just we have a lot to say to our girlfriends or who ever lol.

2. If he calls us like everyday and if we talk for more then 30 minutes, then yeah. Of course if the guy is gay or ur best friend then no we would not think that.

3. I don't know about all the girls but usually girls like to wait for the guy to call first because it just tells us that he's interested.

4. If you just met the girl, then start by texting her first. Then after you guys have texted for a day or two, call her. if she doesn't pick up, leave her a cute voicemail. oh and I agree with Lukewarm abt a guy going longer than 2 days to call her. Hope this helps :-)

• i personally don't like being on the phone at all BUT I love when a guy that I like calls me. weird. but it just makes me feel like he's taking time out to sit down and chat with me, or like he really wants to talk to me. so its not that we like being on the phone, its just the principle behind it. When a guy calls me, I assume he likes me because he there are other ways of contacting me such as Facebook, twitter, msn, email, text. I feel like he just wants to hear my voice. If I like a guy and he calls me alot, I'll call him first sometimes. I think a guy should go no longer than 2 days without calling a girl he likes if they both show mutual interest.

• Ok, most importantly...NOT ALL girls like spending time on the phone (maybe when your in High School)..but personally I don't have the time for that and usually pefer to meet the guy in person and hang out. Usually a girl likes talking on the phone (when she 1st meets a guys) is because it safer than texting (a random grandpa could be saying I love you-lol) and meeting in perosn because people are crazy. If I like a guy I will call him first and if a guy is dating a girl he should make it clear and be upfront about whether he likes the girl or not--if you're interested call whenever you think about her--but don't go overboard and call her evey ten mins..that wierd! You can also just plainly go out with her--to hang out or something...stop beating around the bush people!

• girls like talking on the phone because we are very talkative people and we like to talk to the guys we like other then just text messages when we talk we can know by the tone of voice when a guy is bullsh*tting or annoyed or something text messages we cant. and when a guy calls late at night for no reason it is usually because tghe guy likes the girl and that is what we think unless its a really close guy friends. and I always call guys a like and I'm pretty sure other girls do too its better talking and hearing a guy you like than a guy you don't like. and I think if the girl is really intereasted you can call more than once a day but if she isn't very talkative and you just met her then anything less than once a day unless she tells you to call. comment on my question please :) hope that helps ~

• Well, I don't really like talking on the phone but I'll still give my thoughts.

Because, it might be more comfortable then talking in person.

No. But, that's mainly because all my friends are guys except for a select few.

Not really. I will at times though.

When, ever he feels like it. I got better things to do then wait for a guy to call and I'm sure he's got better things to do then call me to just say "Hey.".

• Sometimes it's just easier texting or talking in the phone than face to face... For me it's easier to say what I feel texting rather than talking...Doing it face to face is even harder... When a guy calls yes I assume he likes me I mean why would he call if he doesn't? I never call a guy first even if I'm dying to =0 Also if I like a guy I want him to call or text daily =D

• I don't think it has anything to do with gender, I think it's just cool to talk to real live humans. Someone to hear your words, someone who cares, as Depeche Mode would probably put it. As far as how long, far often, it depends on the relationship type and the individuals in it. Some people just call to say "hi" but some people are chatty and there is usually a reason why they are blowing up your phone. I guess phones are passe now to some people unless they want a pizza.

• Some girls are shyer than boys, therefor them using their phone to talk makes them feel safer until they get to know you a little better and then they start to lose the phone, but most girls love texting and calling, if not you then their friends. It's just how it's done.

• -Once a day 4 interest. NEVER call too much. Pick a regular time, and she knows ur devoted.

-I usually don't call because 4 most girls it's a test 2 see if guys like them.

-Girls use phones as tangible proof that you like us. It can be bragged 2 friends w/, and it lets us talk to multiple ppl

-Hoped this helps!

• can I ask you something ? if the guy might know t hat the girl likes her too , but he might maybe like her too , will he not even answer the phone at all ? Does he still like her though ? even if he is shy ?

• talking on the phone can be really fun sometimes and it helps you get to know the person. when I guy calls me I don't assume he likes me. I let the guy call me first. not sure how often the guy should call me, not more than once a day.

What Guys Said 4

• 1) Talking on the phone:

The reason that people like talking on the phone, is that it's an alternative to meeting up. Maybe they are sick or busy that day, etc.. Whatever the reason may be, talking on the phone is much more preferred than texting a conversation or typing it out online. At any rate, I really despise the phone system aside from short: "Meet me here @ 7" messages and conversations that include arranging a time to meet up. Talking in person, is awesome. Talking on the phone, is dreadful.

2) When a guy calls:

A common misbelief. Just because a guy calls, doesn't mean that he likes the girl. If he wants to call her, it shows his level of interest. If he is calling her because he said he would, it explains his level of responsibility... Again, it's not really showing the signs of affection that we would consider as the stage of expressing how much they like the other person.

3) Do women call men:

Of course, not always for the reason of lining up the next date or what not. But personally, I have received calls after a date where the girl truly enjoyed her time and just wanted to let me know. There is nothing against them calling, it's just not as common as we believe that men call <-- Which is another misbelief. A lot of men play the "mind games" of waiting 2-3 days to call, when they want to call already... If you want to call, call that person.. Why play a game?

4) How often to make a phone conversation:

Whatever works for you AND her. If you are calling 24/7 about 12 times an hour, yet you notice she has an annoyed tone, or that she is being really brief and wanting to get off the phone; then it's time for you to start reducing your phone calls to a respectable amount. That doesn't mean you should call once a year. But it does mean that if you want to call her, that's fine as long as you are being respectful... If you don't want to call her, then send her a text message instead of a time and date where you both can meet up in person.

Awesome question, I marked it as fascinating because I couldn't answer that one a few years back. But now I realise that we often over-value things like this. We think that a phone call will determine if we either make or break a potential relationship... That's not true.

~ ArtistBBoy

• "Meet me here @ 7 messages and conversations that include arranging a time to meet up. Talking in person, is awesome. Talking on the phone, is dreadful..."

How you want to meet here? randomly?

• I can see where your coming from Robin. The thing that I do instead of using a phone or the internet, is to pick my town and go on a road trip. There's plenty of girls that frequent places like: the mall, the street (you'd be suprised how many joggers I've met), the park, etc.. All anyone has to do, is to simply go to these places and find a conversation opener that might work.. Then figure out if they want to know the person more. Further, it works to my own satisfaction.

• Girls like communicating, period. They have much to talk about, and that's why they like talking on the phone.

• Thank you, my thoughts exactly

• They love to talk.