Why do women think make up looks good?

I dont just mean coverup so they feel like they dont have acne I mean dumb make up like eye shadow and blushed cheeks.

eye wings are one of the dumbest things out there and I have no idea how any things those look nice, they dont even make sense, and my girlfriend even agrees with me. Also how does having blue eyelids look good, it looks dumb as hell.

imagine a man matching these trends, youd think he looked like an idiot, and I feel the same way about women doing it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, I don't know why girls wear eyeshadow and lipstick either. Like I understand foundation and concealer cause it covers problem areas.
    Girls pretty much do other things to impress other girls... it's always competition.

What Girls Said 28

• because it does, when it's done tastefully and for the right reasons.
    if you dont like it, that's your thing. girls aren't gonna stop wearing makeup purely because of the opinion of a guy.

i do agree though that blue eyeshadow is one of the worst inventions of all time.

• LOL! Eye shadow is fun! Eye-wings accentuate the eyeball shape and curve. I will admit, sometimes us girls may get a Iil heavy with the blush and just look embarrassed instead of charmingly rosie-cheeked. Generally, a lot of females like make-up because it brings out our natural features and really makes them stand out.

Look how much fun it can be to put on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_BlDqYUyTw

• what in the world are eyewings lol

• @hazoplmeught LOL, what did eyeshadow, blush, or a good pair of eye-wings ever do to you? ;p I had fun with makeup long before the media. I do love my natural, fresh, makeup free face but makeup is a lot of fun when you’re wearing a certain type of outfit. Like for example, I just bought this wine red and black dress from Free People that I’m wearing this weekend to an event. I’m wearing it with black suede heels, a thick, dark curtain of hair *or I may do an updo*, chandelier crystal earrings (I literately took crystals from an old chandelier and made earrings out of them), and a sexy French manicure with a black tip instead of white. Some fierce eye-wings and a dark lip will really set off the look.

• Because it does.

2.bp.blogspot.com/.../...editorial-photoshoots.jpg

This is - to me - very cute makeup... Not cakey and not fake looking. It's obvious there's some makeup there... but it's not weird or nuts.

This, however is just awful: (the so called 'instagram makeup')

scstylecaster.files.wordpress.com/.../...enner.png
    arabiacdn.style.com/.../...his-beauty-equation.jpg
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...29730dff3c.jpg
    lovelace-media.imgix.net/.../...6-0a2ca390b447.png

• Because it does look good. Don't be jealous.

• cuz it does, fashion trends have never been for guys haha it all comes down to personal style anyways. i never liked winged eyeliner but i try a new eyebrow shape every couple of weeks. eye shadow can change the mood of a makeup look easily. blush and bronzer can also change the mood of a look real easy.

• Wut...

Fashion has ALWAYS been about looking your best. For what reason? The attention of men. That's both sides of the spectrum, men look good for women, and women for men.

I repeat...
      WUT?

• Yeah because it's fucking stupid. But you dress to impress. Your direct intention is to dress in a way that women will be impressed by because they think it will get the attention of more men. However your secondary intention is to actually get the attention from men.

• @Gommers thts all secondary to me being satisfied with my outward appearance. i'd do my makeup and hair waay differently if it were purely to get male attention.

• Because it does lol. If you do it right.

• I find that when I wear makeup I attract more men (and women) vs when I walk out au naturale. But I also am obsessed with make up and in love the way it looks on me when I do it right. So I ain't giving it up anytime soon lol.

• Because it does if you can slay it.

• who tf wears blue eyeshadow? :/ :/ its an unflattering color
    anyways.. people should only wear makeup to enhance their facial features... not change or hide it...

• I actually wouldn't think the dude looked like an idiot unless he somehow thought he was being satirical and clever by wearing it.
    That said, its art. But something tells me you're not wanting to hear any answer that dissents your sentiments and you're just looking to share your bitterness from some form of platform... I could be wrong.

• Why do you care what other women do?

• Cuz it does!

• Your imaginary girlfriend agrees with you 😁😂😄😅😆

• It looks cool and it's like art

• We don't wear makeup to look 'good' for guys.
    We do it because we see it as a form of art and we enjoy it.

• Hahaha ikr.. Lol i avoid it all for the most part plus a part of me feels itll lead to these generations growing old and being just that much more wrinkly for all of the makeup and chemicals theyve plastered on their skin daily that will progressively stop hiding their hyper aging skin

• Men do wear makeup though.. lol you do know the lgbt community exists. Plus men too wore makeup throughout history.

• I don't think makeup looks good.. in fact every time I do use makeup on a special day it never turns out good... I just like useing lipstick..(color red and nude)

• I don't think most girls wear blue eye shadow. I objectively look better in makeup, which includes winged eyeliner and blush etc. Most girls I've seen look better in makeup. Most guys find me more attractive in makeup.

• i agree... make up needs to be applied right for it to look good and a lot of people dont know how to apply it

• Especially if you don't blend the neck portion right.

• Women wouldn't do it if it didn't get them more attention or treated better in the workplace and beyond. Good makeup looks good.

• You get to enhance the parts that you like and cover up what you don't care for too much. It's fun and creative, also at this point, it's almost expected of girls to wear makeup.

• I don't wear makeup so I have no insight

• I can see your point when it comes to bolder makeup stykes, but faux-natural makeup will do wonders for pretty much any woman. I wear my makeup far more natural looking than many women yet I definitely look different without it on. Not in a completely-different-woman way, but I have dark spots, lack eyebrows, and very unnoticeable eyes. Light, "natural" makeup makes me look like I have the perfectly clear skin of a child, a normal amount of eyebrows, and eyes that pop.

I'm rather sure that in general, a man in his right mind would prefer me with my light amount of makeup on, just because the makeup helps the features I already have stand out in a basic, universally attractive way. I personally don't care for makeup, but I know it makes me look better, so I put it on every day.

However, there are many women who genuinely love wearing makeup! It can be like art---you feel a sense of accomplishment when you're done, knowing that you got your eyeliner wing just right or arched your eyebrows perfectly. Most guys DONT care if a girls makeup is "on fleek" or not (I dare say most prefer women whose makeup isn't, considering the current "on fleek" look is very bold and fake looking), but women who are truly into makeup don't give two craps about men's opinion of it, so there's that.

The of course you have the women who use makeup to compete with other women. They want to look amazing according to other WOMEN'S standards---standards that are very different from men's, I might add. Currently, blending 20 butt loads of foundation on your face, drawing on ultra arched, perfectly symmetrical eyebrows, and adding dramatic false eyelashes is all the rage in woman-land, and women who do their makeup like that are bound to get plenty of compliments from other women. Men? Not so much. But that is irrelevant because the competition is with other WOMEN.

So basically, the issue of makeup is too multifaceted for your simple "why do women wear makeup if us men don't even like it" question, primarily because that's being asked under the assumptions that not only is all makeup unappealingly noticeable, but also that all women wear makeup to attract men in the first place.

• Cause it smoothes everything out and makes all the features pop

• The way you wrote this made me laugh.

My boyfriend doesn't like it when I wear makeup. He's always saying "why have you got make up on?"

I don't suit loads of makeup, it makes me look older and my face look harder, but I need makeup. Just so I don't scare kids on street. I don't wear a lot. I wear concealer and mascara just for some colour.
    Otherwise, it's not a pretty sight.

• Most guys respond to it and most girls enjoy doing it and admiring each others. I personally don't use makeup at all unless it's Halloween but I have nothing against it.

• It is their face they can do what they want. And some women dont care what guys think.

What Guys Said 7

• Dude eye wings (or "cat eyes" to the mainstream world lol) are hot af!!

Makeup has it's time and place lol only on gag i swear

• As a fellow black male (i'm American), the black women that usually act and say what this particular black girl said, are this way because the majority of the black dudes that they have either been around, or the black dudes that choose to approach her... are of the thug/ghetto stereotype, and they don't like that style.

However, most of these black women would be open to a non-ghetto, non-thug black guy when they arise and she notices he isn't the "nigga" stereotype, if they aren't negative-minded.

Just see this type of girl with "it's her loss, not mine" mentality. If she is judging u right off the bat and is being racially against her own ethnicity, she can be a negative mind-poisoned self hater without you.

• The same reason you have a pixelated ninja turtle as your avatar.

• make up is not necessary for me. it is only a tuen off when women can't go without, or when they feel uncomfortable without. women in my family almost never wore make up. the only woman i know that uses make up is my unlces wife.

• I'm glad girls do there own thing, so let's stop hating on each for our differences cause you wanna date someone the same sex as you go right ahead.

• makeup accentuates a girl's looks if it's done right.

• Media.