Girls, are pantyhose with a pattern gradually disppearing?

This is a tendancy I see here in Europe: when I was young you would see all kinds of patterns on ladies from any age.
These were ranging from vertical lines, to flowers, to polka dots, birds, just anything.

In the last 15 years or so, the polka dots, flowers and other shapes seem to have gradually disappeared.

And in the last 5 years, I'd say that girls revert more and more to the standard sheer hose: from white over skin colour to brown or black. Agree or is this a wrong impression?

• I still see/wear all sorts of patterns, including polka dots, birds,...
  • I still see/wear patterns but no more polka dots, birds,...
  • I confirm the sheer ones are now the nr 1 choice.
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh lol I guessed that it's Hans and it's really you haha.

Okay so the thing is... yes. They're not just gradually disappearing but they're almost disappeared. I think it's because of three reasons :-
    ●Girls now prefer to show skin instead
    ●Pattern covers the skin. So, they prefer plain pantyhose.
    ●Introduction of leggings and yoga pants.

I wish it was still in fashion. I liked it but alas.

What Girls Said 17

• They have tons of them in store. Well at least they did in the fall and winter. Now that it's summer you won't see them so much because it's almost too warm most days to wear them.

However, I think if someone isn't wearing them usually it's either they don't want to or perhaps the patterned ones are a bit cost prohibitive for them. I was looking at some pretty patterned pantyhose and the price was almost double what plain ones were.

• Thanks for mentioning the price, I wasn't aware of that.
      Maybe they're also stronger and live longer?

• Lol it's not really a secret. But generally nylons aren't marketed to men :P I'm sure if a guy really wanted to, he could wear nylons.

• Yeah I know there are guys who do this. I'm not interested but I love to see them on girls.
      Especially wen they have a good feel for what nylons to match with which dress, skirt, shoes or boots in terms of style and colour :D

• You're right, it's true.
    I guess the patterned pantihoes are reserved for funky girls nowadays - almost no one else wears them. Either funky girls or children.

images0.chictopia.com/.../...ts-gold-flats_400.jpg

• Patterns were in style of a short time and I do not think they are completely out of style or anything but I think tights are still in. Tights are not sheer pantyhose they are thicker. I think sheer hose are completely out of style and is kind of a "grandma" thing now.

• Interesting opinion, about the opposite of what I thought. But that's the interesting thing on GAG, the variety of opinions :D

• I still see older generations (i. e my mother) wear patterned pantyhose, but I despise them and see them as a fashion crime.

• Do you wear the sheer ones when the opportunity is there or you prefer not to wear any?

• I can have a surgery by choice no matter what (as in it stays the same as it is now) when I turn 25. 😄

• Okay, make the best out of it :D

• very rare to see them nowadays

• Yeah they're disappearing. Really sad tbh. I still sometimes wear if they match my outfit and even those aren't nearly as patterned as the ones a while back.

• Thanks! Here in Europe it's bare legs time (summer starts tomorrow) but I guess in the Australian winter they may now help keep things warm!

• I think those are pretty 90s. I wore a few pairs when I was in high school because my mom got them on sale, but I preferred the ones without a pattern. Also the thicker ones because hello, Canadian winters.

• Haha yeah I talk regularly with people from Canada and they described how -30°C and half a meter or more of snow is not rare!
      They say that in such conditions you have to wear layers... ever tried layers of hose?

• As I was indoors the majority of the time, it wasn't necessary. That also sounds wickedly uncomfortable and like a yeast infection waiting to happen. None of those are appealing to me, so no.

• No, it was just to joke I said that. And maybe also thinking "who knows maybe she'll say it's a common practice...".
      Keep yourself warm :D

• You mean tights? People wear them all the time...

• I thought the word "tights" was rather used in the UK and pantyhose in the USA.
      Although I think thighs are also those cotton or polyester tights, not just the nylon ones.
      More details I prefer to net girls give... I learned all of this in my 2.5 years on GAG :D

• And you meant it's the ones with patterns that you see all the time?

• If they are thank God they look so tacky

• You mean uncomfortable to wear? Or to put on?
      I've heard more girls on here who disliked them, but also others who wore them daily with a smile...

• I like them, both in a casual or professional outfit or uniform, but there is one strict condition!
      The colours or patterns must match... otherwise she looks like a clown :o

• I rarely if ever see them around here.

• leggings are there they are more comfy and more sexy

• Maybe... personally I like panyhose, or even more (since they're rare over here) tigh high stockings.

• What r panty hose

• I still see it here in US

• Haha have you quickly changed your profile pic to show it?
      Nice look, the colour combination fits perfectly with the dress :D I'm convinced your guy would not look away when he sees you like this <3

• Than the costomer did its job, you look like the star in a fairy tale! I'm not very good in what exactly these fairy tale figures looked like, but first name that comes up in my head is Cinderella :D

• Hahaha thank you

• I where fishnets

• I like patterns but don't wear them very often. Sheer is much more in vogue these days.

• Hell no I enjoy wearing them!

• I like patterns, but they're dated now. Sheer is more current.

• From which part of the world are you? Just to see if there's more or less a pattern.
      So far the poll is about 50/50.

• I'm in the UK. When I was in school, there was a different fashion of patterned tights, they were bright patterns like- s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...c2dac759ad.jpg
      Andhttps://s-media-cache-ak0. pinimg. com/236x/d5/c5/1a/d5c51aeb7f44c9aac06169cad1078ec3. jpg
      Then in college it was more like cdn.gurl.com/.../howtowearpatternedtights6.jpg

• Oh yeah, those first two patterns are quite flashy :D
      For a young girl who wants to send out a signal to her boyfriend it's probably a full hit!
      The pattern you mention for college I like a lot, it matches nicely with the skirt and boots :D

What Guys Said 4

• The focus these days is on showing skin, so the pantyhose trend is going away outside of the hipsters.

• I've also asked myself if that was the case but also among young people you still see lots of pantyhose. So for the moment, at least in Western Europe, I don't think they're about to disappear :o
      It would be ashame, they're nice & girly and can complete an elegant look!

• I live in the USA in California, and here pantyhose are very rare.

• Lmao who tf wears pantyhose

• The girl, ladies, misses, and euh.. grandmas hahaha :D

• i haven't seen pantyhose in a few years. leggings are just better they serve the same purpose and donnt rip super easy

• It's weird that you haven't seen them at all... I see both over here.
      And indeed I heard girl on GAG say that they prefer leggings for that reason!

• i dont understand how people even notice this.

• Because it's a completely different look than sheer pantyhose. The pattern catches the attention. So when the patterns disappear it also catches the eye... when you see the rare occurrences!
      And it makes a good GAG question since there are many girls on here to confirm or bust the myth :D