I get anxious in public places, but I love shopping. How do I go shopping without running out of the store?

I don't have a style. And the reason I don't have a style is because when I'm shopping I feel like everyone is watching me and I freak out and run out of the place. I want to buy cute clothes but I start to panic and get clothes I don't really like just so I can get out of there. My mom doesn't understand when I tell her I just want to go alone because being with my family members makes me feel even more anxious. I don't know how to stop it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I get the same way. I make my father go to another side of the store, or go get the other things he needs while I look. I need time to look at each piece by myself in the quiet. The only place I am comfortable at despite other customers being around em is hot topic. Because the music's so loud no one can hear you, so they rarely talk to you.

Social anxiety is a sucky thing - but, what has helped is ONLINE shopping, a whole lot. If you get a certain amount of money from your mother to shop, ask her to put it on a visa gift card. You can use that online to shop for clothing. If you aren't sure if something will fit, take your own measurements, and then look at the measurements on the websites measurement chart. You can almost always send things back as well if they don't fit. You don't need to talk to anyone when you shop online - you can just sit there and look at all the clothing and decide, then check out and wait 5-7 days for your clothing. Sites like forever21 usually ship even quicker. My stuff comes in 2-3 days.

Honestly, I love shopping in malls and such, but online makes me more comfortable.

What Guys Said 1

• As someone who has worked in retail, I can confirm that neither the employees or other customers give enough of a shit to pay attention to you. A sales associate may ask if you need help finding anything, but that's their job and they'll wander off if you say no.

What Girls Said 5

• I kind of get what you are saying, you feel like people are juding you and thinking "oh she probably shouldn't get that" honestly, try and think less of what people think, if you want that top you go get that top, who cares what other people think? I know it's easier said than done. Try and focus on what you're doing in the store and not let anyone judge you or look at you differently and if they do, who cares! Less thinking :)

• Do you have social anxiety?

• I don't know what that is exactly

• How do I fix it? Is it like a mental thing? 😕

• Yeah it's a mental thing. I don't really know how to resolve this fully but just pretend like no one's there. The other people really don't care what you're doing when they see you shopping. If you shop and actually find things that you like rather then settling for something you don't just because you want to hurry and get out of the store then it'll feel more fulfilling. If you just focus on going there to get something you like and telling yourself that you're not leaving until you get something nice then it might help you ignore every one else. Just focus on yourself.

• I would recommend online shopping

• I used to be familiar with that feeling. Till I realized that no one really cares. You should just find the courage to go alone a couple of times, you can try picturing that one is there. You will eventually get used to it. It's not that big of a deal.

• Online shopping?