Question for Christians, Muslims and Jews would you get a religious tattoo and what do you think of someone who gets a religious tattoo?

If I recall correctly the Abrahamic religions forbid tattoos, but in spite of this many people get religious tattoos. My sister has a cross on her back, the Lords' Prayer tattooed in Arabic on her shoulder and in 'Aramaic on her mid back. Do you ever think there is any hypocrisy in honoring your religion with an act that would be forbidden by it?

Most Helpful Guy

• From what I understand, tattoos with religious significance are mostly symbolic.
    And those who get them, aren't necessarily practising their religion to the best of their ability.

I know many people, mainly Christians, that have these types of tattoos. And from what I've observed they are usually not that familiar with the teachings of their religion.
    Or because they simply don't know that it's against the religious teachings.

Most Helpful Girl

• I personally wouldn't do it because I'm not a fan of tattoos to begin with

What Guys Said 18

• I personally wouldn't because I'm just not into tats but I don't look down on anybody that has them. It just isn't for me

• My own personal view is that it depends on the intent of the taboo - If it honours the symbol somewhat I would feel it is okay but if it debases the religious symbol and would cause offence like a parody of religious text or image then it is not constructive.

• Not I wouldn't not for religious scripture or anything religious I wouldn't, doesn't seem right.

• I would not get a tattoo, I think they look tacky. I've noticed people who are covered in tattoos are not the smartest or most successful people too.

• If my interpretation of scripture is correct, the mosaic laws, such as those forbidding tattoos in the old testament, gave way to the new covenant. Once the savior was crucified, ritualistic membership into the kingdom was abolished.

I'm a Christian youth leader, and here is what I tell my students, based on what I said above: there is nothing wrong with ink until you start using it to lean on.

• The world would be a happier and more tolerant place if religious organisations stopped telling people how to live, and stopped being mysoginist supporters of violent conflict!

• Nah I don't need a cross or something tattoo'd on my body. I'll wear one around my neck instead.

• I don't think these religions specifically forbid tattoos. But if the purpose behind a tattoo conflicts with the basic belief, then THAT is not right.

• tatoo is a symbol while religion is a prictice, so it doesn't make any sense from religious point of view

• Gentiles are dumb is all.

• Tattoos are forbidden in Islam

• I disapprove of any tattoos in any ones body. Just think when you hit you 50's and stupid is going to look in wrinkly ass skin. Think people!

• no i won't.

• It's a big contradiction in Christianity lol

• I'm a Muslim (not terrorist :D) and i hate those stuff, i think the guy who would do that is a bigot.

• Muslims shouldn't make tattoos

• lmao. so dumb.

• I dont like the girls who have tatoos.

What Girls Said 1

• No , because my religion forbids it. Tattoos originated with pagans. They'd have tattoos on their body in honour of their many Pagan Gods.

God forbids his worshippers to follow any pagan practices. His views and standards don't change with time, unlike societies.

• But do you think that it's hypocritical for Christian, Muslim or Jew to work on the Sabbath?

• Not Christians, because Christians aren't under the mosaic law anymore. The Israelites were given the mosaic law. They had to keep the Sabbath and make animal sacrifices. The Jews rejected Jesus so he made a new covenant with his new followers... Christians. So they no longer needed to perform animal sacrifices or keep the Sabbath. These laws were no longer in place , so Christians are no longer obligated to keep the Sabbath now.