Why do most older women cut their hair short?

Almost every older woman (50+) I have seen has her hair super short. Why? I have asked before, and someone said that because with age, our hair gets harder to maintain, is that true? And I certainly don't want short hair when I'm older - I look horrible with short hair. I want to have long, luxurious silver locks to show off when I'm all elderly. Could I do it? And what would I have to do to keep my hair manageable at an old age? Can an old woman pull off long hair?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 2

• Because they care less about trying to impress men and more about making their lives easier. Short hair is easier to care for and faster to dry.

• The reasons I hear are 1 of 2 or both, easier to maintain, and/or looks more "grown up" or sophisticated. I personally wish they wouldn't, I prefer and love long hair on women and it doesn't matter the age. There's the odd women that can pull it off and look great still but for the most part I wished they had kept it long.

What Girls Said 9

• Once menopause starts to rear its ugly head, sweetie, yr hair CAN'T naturally grow long and luxurious anymore -- unless you are one of a very, very, *very* select few.

I am only 41 years old, and I have waist length (down to my natural waist) hair, and I am already reaching a point where my hair is beginning to simply refuse to grow out to this length anymore.
    At some undetermined point later this year, I'm gna cut it short -- like, *really* short, like pixie length -- because anything around shoulder-length just looks beyond awful on me (and my husband's love of short hair borders on fetish status ahahah... so that's a bonus).

But... yeah.
    It's not because women suddenly have an irresistible desire to look more matronly.
    It's not because society pressures women to cut off their hair at "a certain age".

It's because THE DAMN HAIR DON'T GROW NO MORE.
    Lol

At this point, it's extensions or bust. And... fuck extensions.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22171679
    "The impact of changing hair parameters is most notable in the mid-forties for women" -- if you have access to the full text of this article, you'll see what they mean: basically, what I'm saying. Yr hair stops being able to grow long and luxurious.

so... yeahhh

*WE* don't cut our hair short... so much as NATURE does.
    Fuck you menopause!

• I don't know about this either. I want long solid white hair when I'm old.

• Because its easy to maintain. If you wash it, you don't need a lot of time to dry it and still look nice.

• I don't know... i guess because some of them deal with thinning hair

• Because you lose collagen in your hair as you age and it turns hard, wiry and witchy. I have literally never seen an elderly woman with long hair that didn't look like a total strega.

• Hormone issues. their hair falls outs anyway, so short makes it look even.

• I think it's because it just generally doesn't look as flattering when you're older, it can really age some women... also i'd imagine hair is more fragile and is easier to maintain?

• I guess it's because long hair is uncomfortable but I get you. I can't imagine myself with short hair. My hair reaches the waist and I'd also like to keep it long when I'm old, maybe a few inches shorter.

• Because they have fragile hair, less hair than when she was young and it's more praticale