Girls, Do you use makeup past the expiration date?

I didn't even realize makeup had expiration dates until recently. The eyeshadow palette I'm using says that it is supposed to last for 12 months, but it's just as good as new. What do you thinK?

24

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 23

• I don't check the expiration date.
    If the lipgloss look bad/ gives a bad reaction to my lips or goes dry, then I throw it out.
    I didn't know that there was expiration date for lip products.

As for eyeliners, I would have no choice but to throw them out since they would just become difficult to apply.

But I use kohl now, so that's no issue

• I'm just wondering because I bought 4 sets of eyeshadow palettes a year ago and it turns out that they expire 2 years after being opened. I've had them sitting there for a year and according to the expiration date, I now only have a year to use them :( They're pretty expensive too and don't want to have to throw them out simply because they expired.

• I didn't even know eyeshadow had an expiration date. This is news to me.

I usually throw out mascaras after several months (more than the 3-month mark that's usually recommendedand).
    As for lipstick/lip gloss, I'd throw them out after a year or so because I have sensitive skin and i don't Wanna risk having some kinda reaction to expired products.

• Have you thrown away eyeshadows?

• Me too. As long as you keep them clean and don't notice any change in quality or irritations/breakouts, you should be good, in my opinion.
      Realistically, who actually finishes up a whole eyeshadow palette in 1-2 years? I don't know... Makeup artists maybe... or if you wear them every single day! Lol...

• Yeah, you're right! I don't know why they put expirations dates for. If something is getting old, you should be able to tell.

• My naked palette is like 2 years old.
    It's crazy to use up an entire palette that fast. I still use it and have no issues.

• I bought several naked palettes, thinking that i wouldn't have to buy another one for several years, but i didn't know they had expiration dates... Have you felt any changes in the quality or irritations/breakouts? And I know, I wonder why they put expiration dates?

• Yeah I have so many eye shadow palettes, I'm not getting rid of any haha.
      I think you have to take into account how clean your brushes are, where you store it, etc.
      I don't know why they put expiration dates on. But no I've never had any issues with my palette.

• Oh, all the time. I'm not wasting money like that, haha.

• Haha I don't want to waste my money either. I'm just worried about changes in quality or potential eye/skin infections

• Yeah, I do get that. Anytime you have an eye infection, definitely get rid of any products you've used on your eyes at the very least.

• As long as they are stored correctly (dry, cool environment) eg not in the bathroom, they should be perfectly fine, quality may decrease slightly.

• Why doe it need one. maybe it degrades over time. doubt it becomes harmful though.

• Yes I do, imI know they have an expiry date because of bacteria and stuff. But as long as it still looks good and it doesn't irritate me I'll keep on using it. So far nothing's happened to me lol.

• Have you used eyeshadows that have expired?

• Yes all the time, the only makeup I throw out on a regular basis is mascara.

• Yeah, all the time and I'm still alive xD

• Have you noticed anything with the quality after it has expired?

• No, actually. I always use expired eyeshadows and liquid concealers. If they're stored correctly, they're gonna be the same. It's mostly a marketing choice, when the companies give such short expiration dates. I would recommend to avoid lipsticks and eyeliners tho

• That's what I figured, that it's probably a marketing strategy. Although, some doctors have said that they can cause infections and bacteria. I don't know if that's likely to happen with eyeshadows though...

• Heck yeah, that shit is expensive! 😳

• for how long?

• Years! I've had some of my MAC eyeshadow for like 5 years. I'll still use it. Doesn't bother me in the least. That stuff lasts forever. Thank god cause it's spendy..

• Yup! (:

• Eyeshadows are not used that much so it's common.. and yeah I would use it until it's finished.. those things are expensive.. 😐 nothing bad will happen.. they're not liquid products

• Yup, all the time.

• How long after they expired?

• Usually doesn't change much, especially if they're powder eyeshadows.

• Why do they even put expiration dates anyways?

• I paid a lot of money for my makeup, I will be using them until its gone. Expiration or NOT. But yeah makeup has an expiration date, it has a lot number too you can look up on cosmeticcheck or something like that.

If its past the expiration date, you can also catch an infection, there could be bugs inside it. Be careful.

• Could you catch an infection from eyeshadows even if they're stored properly?

• I bought mine a year ago, but they say 24months until they expire.

• Mm I mean it's still good after two years, but look deep into the makeup. Sometimes there will be bus hiding under. If you want to preserve it, keep your makeup away from heat.

• i avoid using them once they're expired... i don't want em' to mess up with my skin

• Of course. I only stop using it when it dries up.

• Make up is dumb and expensive get some Chapstick and be happy!

• Yes lol I use it until it runs out.

• Do you eat food past the expiration date?

• No it's bad and unsanitary

• ... never knew it had a experation date

• I always have done, even after I found out you're not supposed to. Never had any adverse effects and I have sensitive skin. The reason they say to throw them away is bacteria can build up and breed over time which would be bad for skin, and some just don't work so well after a time.

• do you think that eyeshadows can also be bad for the skin after they expire?

• If it's got bacteria, then yeah, it can give you that red eye thing or conjunctivitis. I went through a bunch of my older make up and cleaned it though, you could try that. With eye shadows, you just thoroughly clean the whole outside packaging and inside the lid. With the actual powder you can either just use a few cotton pads to completely take off the top layer, or lightly damp a cotton pad with anti bacterial something and gently wipe it. There are videos on YouTube of girls demonstrating how they do it too.

• I have like 3 mac lipsticks that are like super old. And a makeup forever foundation thats pretty old too. Also, a liquid eyeliner & eyeshadows too lol. I still use it. If it's not broken or it hasn't ran out then why the fuck would i throw it away? I've heard that you're supposed replace your mascara every 3 months and i think that's insane. I have plenty of mascaras some old , some new and i ain't throwing any way. Makeup isn't cheap. I'd rather have an eye infection than waste money tbh.

• I throw out mascara & eyeliners. Also lip products after a few years

• Eye shadows?

• for how long?

• Until they run out :)