Guys, girls is this dress inappropriate in your opinion?

My husband told me that this dress is too sexy and inappropriate for a formal dinner party and if i insist to wear it he will go alone. I think the dress isn't that bad right? what do you think? Is it like he says? I really like it and i think my husband's over reacting because of his jealousy besides i'm not trying to look sexy in front of his crew work and friends or something i just want to look good.
i just don't get it. I mean i won't be the first one to wear this kind of dress!

• This dress is really inappropriate
  • This dress looks fine
  • Please find something else
  • Other.. Please explain

Most Helpful Guy

• It's too short but the dress style is fine. Another 6 inches lower to sit just above the knees and it's good to go. You can't bare shoulders AND thigh at the same time at a formal event really, one or the other.

Most Helpful Girl

• Formal means full-length. You can get away with cocktail length at a semi-formal event, but for a formal event (black or white tie) you need a floor-length gown.

• Honestly I've never been in one before that's why i just choose this dress but everyone's telling me that it's inappropriate for a formal event I'll look for something else. Thanks for the advice i really appreciate it :)

• No worries. I am full of useless knowledge on etiquette.

What Guys Said 18

• its fine if the formal dinner is being held in a nightclub. its a nice dress but i see his point if its a black tie affair

• That dress belongs on the red carpet or hollywood. It doesn't belong in a place where the atmosphere is solemn and reserved.

• It sounds like this is a business dinner. In that case then I agree that it's inappropriate. For a non-business formal dining it's fine, but not for business. You should dress more conservatively for a business dinner than for other dinners.

• I really like it, but would you look like the girl on the dress? If so he should be proud of having an attractive wife

• I have the dress and it looks perfect on me but still he didn't agree that i should wear it :/
      so I'll look for something more appropriate for this event.

• Oh ok, I was asking because some men are very insecure.

• Well if it's a formal business gathering, that would generally demand conservative clothing. That means don't be flashy and dress professional...

• I should find another dress :/

• I don't think the dress is bad, but in a work setting you usually dress more conservative and less shinny/glittery.

• I said it looks fine, but u didn't mention the occasion.

Probably not something you'd wear to church. :)

• I think it's just hitting a little to close to too sexy but you should be fine at that party

• It's not a formal dress.

• In my opinion if he sees it inappropriate, then no need to make a problem for something trivial. We ( or most of men) like to feel we have the control, and jealous about people we love.
    He loves you don't piss him off.

• For a formal dinner no, that's a club dress.

• Only for the beach... That dress is very apropriate any where...

• fine, but very sexy

• Then im not wearing it

• Maybe it's different when you're married

• When you are with your husband, be sexy. But if you hang in a group with many men, it could be inappropriate, but who knows...

• Do you think you'll be noticed in this dress?
    The answer is definitely... because the event isn't a party at a club.
    Just blend in. That's probably where your husband's head is at.

• you are 19 and you are married?

• Depends on what "formal" is ment. Especially in conservative society the rules can get very strict and complex. I once had to switch between 3 different clothing styles on a single event/night because it and also the allowed colors depended on time (before/after midnight, etc.) because of the etiquette there. Also for business meetings there are in general 3 main clothing styles required for women from casual to very formal depending on the meeting. Without knowing the details it is a 50:50 chance if it is appropriate.

• Looks ok but you have other problems than the dress... Like being married at 19.

• It's fine

• i said it's ok, but, it's borderline

What Girls Said 22

• Maybe if it was a long gown all the way to the floor and flowed out like a mermaid which would make it look more elegant however since it isn't I wouldn't exactly call it a formal dress.

It's a dress to where on a Saturday night out to a club.

• This looks more like something you'd wear to a club not a formal party but it's very cute and looks good on you. It's not inappropriate, I agree that he's probably just jealous of other people looking at you since he thinks you look really sexy in the dress.

• I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it's nice, not inappropriate at all.

• it's not 'inappropriate', but it isn't attractive. i find it really plain, and inelegant.

• the dress looks fine for clubbing, but it's not appropiate for a formal dinner

• Depends on the kind of "formal". I see you live in Germany, so if its a formal business dinner, I would not wear. But if its more like a formal inauguration of a modern event, why not? Look at stars at the grammy's or even the Berlin film festival.

• I'm German but i don't live there and of course i will change this the dress since it's inappropriate. Thanks for the advice :)

• Depends what it is for. Find a different dress for church, but it is a great dress for going out and going to a party.

• the dress looks fine but it's supposed to b formal

• Its a little short for a dinner party. That's more of a going out on the town dress

• That dress looks good for clubbing, but not for a formal dinner.

• I don't see any problem with it, it looks nice.

• It's a nice dress and I don't think it's inappropriate but I'm guessing the dress code is a little more formal? So maybe something longer, closer to knee length and with a capped sleeve or straps might be a little more formal?

• I think it's appropriate for clubbing or a bar, not for a formal dinner

• I like it, yes It is sexy and what's bad about it? Wear it, make women envious and make men excited :)

• It may be a bit too revealing for a formal dinner party however if you are comfortable wearing it then you should.

• Wear something with sleeves

• It's a nice dress but it looks like something you'd wear to go clubbing.

• It's not appropriate for a "formal" dinner. It would have to be a classier dress. This looks kind of clubbish.

• For a formal dinner party, yes that dress is inappropriate.

• It's alright.

• That's a lot too sexy for a formal events. For a club it's perfect but where you go all his coworker will think bad of you.

• Ew! This is gross i really don't want that :/

• Yes I was thinking too. It's a formal events so you need to dress in a more conservative ways for people to respect you and not think your slutty or anything like that. It can also give them bad opinion about your husband. Which would be really bad and not cool for him at all.

• She is covered what's the fucking prob lem? Ummmm?