What should I wear for a night at the theatre in London?

I am going to London in about a month and I will be going to the theatre to see Les Misérables and on another night, I will see the Harry Potter play but I don't know what to wear because what Londoners consider casual is what Americans would consider formal.

Most Helpful Guy

• I went to one there in London many years ago and I'm from the USA also and don't remember it being that serous in attire, I think a nice dress and depending on the weather there at the time should be fine. I went with my sister at the time and she would have said something to me

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh, dude, have you seen Londoners? Most of London just wears jeans and a t-shirt like anyone else, it's only when you get into the centre of London that it gets more fancy. Last time I went to see Les Mis in London, I just wore jeans and a nice-ish shirt. If you want to look a little more formal, just wear a nice dress but I don't think you need to go all out or it.

• Okay someone told me that Londoners dress much more nicer than Americans they even told me they would consider wearing yoga pants and no makeup for a trip to the grocery store sloppy.

• Again, I think that would depend on where in London you are because it's pretty huge and very diverse. The theatre will be one of the more formal parts but for something like Les Mis, which is widely accessible, you aren't going to need to go in a formal gown like you will the opera. My jeans probably weren't the most appropriate but I also wasn't the only one wearing that so I guess yeah, a nice dress is good but you won't need anything too extreme. As long as you're sticking clear of tracksuits and you don't look like a chav, you'll be good and you'll have a nice evening! :)

What Guys Said 3

• Here is a picture of the Royal Opera House... A number of people are wearing t-shirts and jeans... Fancy... :D

i2.wp.com/.../opera.jpg?resize=1024%2C682

• Dress formally.

• Well id go with a nice glittering just above knee dress and white shoes of some sort (dress sits on shoulder)

What Girls Said 1

• I used to live in London and I miss it, so I am so jealous! I think people dress pretty nicely for theatre shows, i would say dressy casual. You could wear nice jeans and a blouse or a casual dress, it might be cold in the theatre too. Just don't wear tennis shoes that is what automatically separates Americans from Europeans. Also the more dressy casual/British you dress the less of a chance you'll probably get pick pocketed, they tend to focus on the 'obvious' tourists.