My hair is growing, but it's not getting any longer. How do I make it stop breaking?

I know my hair is growing, because I quit dyeing it a year ago and you can see approximately nine or so inches of my natural color (which is just slightly darker than the dyed part), but it hasn't gotten any longer. I think it is breaking, and I haven't cut it in a very long time. The ends are brittle and have a lot of split ends. Do I just cut the split ends? I know it is capable of getting longer because I had very long hair when I was 14. Is cutting the ends a good idea and is there anything else I can do to help it get longer?

Most Helpful Girl

• hi, i have studied hair and my honest opinion is this, firstly sorry to disappoint but strangely the hair length we had as children, mine for instance was butt length, has never got passed my bra strap length now. strange but anyway, my advice would be, definitely get a good trim sounds like about an inch and as your natural hair is now about nine inches and pure i would purchase a SEMI permanent hair dye that matches your natural hair which will not harm your new un dyed hair. you could dye all of the hair if your match is good or try on the older dyed hair, take a sample and give it a try. having a good cut and matching the colour will do a lot for the overall look of your hair, if you can afford it and this is a long term commitment the vitamin supplements such as hair, skin and nails do help your body assisting the best stronger growth, but its long term and worth it. always giving your scalp a good massage when washing your hair to stimulate circulation to the scalp. you could research the herb rosemary often used as a stimulant and conditioner for the hair, good luck xx

• Thanks! I bought some vitamins and am starting to notice a difference. I was using heat on it daily for awhile and have really cut back on that a lot too. I've started washing it in cold water and using a deep conditioner, and sometimes apply a little bit of olive oil to the ends. I just started all of this about a month ago and I've noticed that it seems maybe just slightly longer than before, but the ends are pretty thin even though I have thick hair. I am strongly considering cutting enough to get rid of the thin ends.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 4

• Coconut Oil! It's one thing that has helped me, my mum and my sister with a lot of hair troubles. Regular coconut hair oil massages (can be easily done at home) with focus on the roots and ends is going to help a lot. It's advisable to wrap your head with a warm towel afterwards for 15 minutes. You can look up other ways of oil massages online but Coconut Oil is what you need to help your hair recover!

Answer mine too please if you can? Thank you
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2067047-am-i-getting-irritated-over-nothing

• Trim and treat! Get the ends trimmed off for sure and then take very good care of your hair (use oils, shampoos, masks, what ever floats your boat really as long as it keeps your hair healthy).

• Thanks! I have just recently started trying to take better care of it, because I think I also fried it with heat. I've started taking a few vitamins, washing it with cold water, using a deep conditioner, cutting back on the heat, and applying some olive oil to the ends while it's wet. I also quit using a fine tooth comb (which was pretty tedious anyway, as my hair is thick) and started using a wider tooth one instead. Next step is probably to get the ends cut!

• thats probably why its breaking bc of your split ends. when you leave them and dont cut them it works its way up, damaging that whole strand of hair. what kind of texture do you have?

• My hair is curly (about medium curls, not really tight, but more than just wavy) and thick, but I have fine strands.

• Try a deep conditioner after you cut off the loose ends.

• I have just started using one and I can tell my hair feels and looks a lot better already. I just haven't cut the ends yet.