Why do women love high heels so much?

how on earth do they walk in the really high ones? aren't they worried they will break an ankle?

Most Helpful Guy

• I suppose they have short height usually so they envy long height and want to use high heels to look taller. Other aspect is that the way the leg is stiffened in a high heel makes the muscles feel better in the calf so they wear it. Last is that I think they want to compete with males in height like all other aspects so they use it to look the same height as males

What Guys Said 21

• That's a good question, even I also keep thinking why they wear that? and logically speaking it's not required at all, they don't realize how much damage they are doing to their heels, their spine and to their knees as well.

High heels are not good in any way. It's just for show off, that's all.

• I'm a guy, and I've never worn heels, but...
    I don't see how walking in them would be hard.
    I naturally walk on my toes, so much so that my heels rarely touch the ground when I am in stride. I don't think about it. It is just how I move. But I've been told by girls that my walking form would work great in heels. Some joke that they've worn heels their whole lives, and I would probable walk better in them than they do lol.

But while a heel over 2 inches starts to look silly, in my opinion, I also think that if you just get yourself accustomed to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe, the worries of falling, and twisting or breaking and ankle, should be mitigated.

• Interesting perspective...
      I, and most of my girlfriends, think exactly the opposite -- namely, that it's actually the LOWER heels (kitten heels, like under 3" for shorter women or under 4" for taller women) that look silly, and that the sweet spot in terms of aesthetics is taller heels (about 4-5" for shorter women, 5-6" for taller women).

But -- Anything over 2" looks silly? Are you sure you're thinking about the measurement correctly?
      Even kitten heels in tiny sizes are still usually taller than 2 inches.

• Bexause they are hot, duh

• Cause they look hot

• perks up the butt and lengthens the leg, its just for aesthetics

• Cause it makes their legs, hip and butt look nicer

But in general it feels like a lady to wear heels, so why shouldn't a women feel like a women

• I get what you mean , but they can look very sexy

• its very simple because they need to make thier heights look higher or maybe they love heels because it looks good

• Cuz it shows their ass "big" ;D

• You gotta show them toes whos boss! I don't know they look good, show off dat ass more apparently.

• It makes their legs more sexy.

• What women? I know lots of women who don't like them.

• So they can see better XD

• I don't know mayn just wear ballet shoes or something. Tennis shoes if u have to

• I don't like high heels i think a lady is just as sexy in regular heels. And it's better for your back.

• i have no idea, these shoes are weird.

• They are hot!!!

• Not all the women, I'm sure...

• Practice, practice, practice

• It makes their butt look better

• I don't know.. maybe they like to look tall?

i seriously have no idea lol

What Girls Said 38

• People like to deride tall shoes as "impractical"...
    Well... Making myself hotter, leggier, more alluring, and more intimidating has plenty of practical purposes. ❤️

I mean, plus, that's a non-argument anyway.
    Why try to make more money? That doesn't DIRECTLY have any practical benefits, either.
    "Ah, but, I make money, and then I can do all these things WITH the money..."
    EXACTLY.

Same here.

There's no DIRECT practical benefit, but, in terms of 2nd order practical benefits, Marilyn had it right:
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...8583ee673b.jpg

Just like extra money is currency that can be used to obtain all sorts of benefits... The boost to attractiveness from wearing heels likewise has "currency" -- in just about every kind of human interaction.

Not to mention confidence -- which also affects, well, just about every kind of human interaction, too.

I mean, you may know that body language translates directly into mental state. (For instance, if you hold yr arms over yr head in a "victory" pose for a couple of minutes, you'll actually start to FEEL more elated... and if you force yrself to smile for 30 seconds, yr actual mood will improve measurably.)
    Similarly, when a girl wears heels, they generally put her into a posture which -- factually -- tends to increase her confidence, and tends to make her walk through the world as though SHE owns IT, rather than as though IT owns HER.
    This is a VERY real benefit. I don't really know if I can think of something equivalent for non-heel-wearers (or men), other than the old worn-out advice like "stand tall with yr chest out" -- but those, too, are real things with real benefits.

I mean... literally like 95 percent of women who are anatomically able to wear heels wear them. We are not all crazy insane freaks, y'know...
    If something is THAT widespread, there's probably a reason.

Not to mention, if you have narrow-ass hips like me (#teamnothighgap) and high arches, wearing heels can even serve to take stress off yr knees. (If you have wide hips, of the type that give you a thigh gap, you should wear them less often, and do exercises to strengthen yr inner quads.)

• The only time I wear heels is when the situation is formal or they are low, chunky, and attached to boots.

Otherwise ya girl is rockin' sneaks.

• Personally, I am 23 year old female and I have never worn heels. I do like them for the height, and their style, but I cannot walk in them. I am clumsy and stumble and I just cannot get the hang of it.

For me, my skate shoes and canvas sneakers are all I wear. Other than work boots.

• not a fan of the modern foot torture.

• Legs for dayyyys. They look good, too. And feminine. I stick to 4-5 inches and under though; it's hard to handle walking in those 6 inch ones.

• I've been wearing heels so long now I'm uncomfortable in flat shoes. I normally wear anywhere between 2 1/1 and 4 inch heels. I don't go taller on the heels because I'm already tall for a woman. I also notice less low back pain in heels than flat shoes, slippers, sandals or barefoot. My hips also hurt less in heels.

• I love them. They make feel great. Like a new outfit, having a good hair day, when your makeup turns out really good. Same feeling. I have over 12 pairs of heals (I DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY THAT HAPPENED!) but I wear them whenever I'm feeling like it. Some for every occasion

• I hate them usually, can't walk in them anyways, make my feet hurt, look fucking ridiculous when you can't walk in certain places because you have stupid footwear on. I prefer no shoes if I can, sadly sometimes society insists I wear shoes :(

• I love putting together outfits, and sometimes heels are just the finishing touch, the extra detail that makes the look a lot better. Besides, who doesn't feel feminine and sexy with heels on? ;) You don't have to wear sky high ones, just a pair of heels you can actually walk in without looking stupid.

• I like heels because they make my legs look great and they make me look taller. I'm 5'3" so adding a couple of inches doesn't hurt. I only worry about breaking an ancle when the heels are new, and i usually walk around the house with the heels on and get used to them first before going out. I'm kinda clumsy so i need to do that. I agree that they are not very comfortable but you get used to them eventually.

• because it makes the leg look slimmer and make them look taller

• I have no idea how some women can't walk in heels. It's not womanly, in my eyes.

• They make you feel feminine and sexy, and with practice they aren't hard to walk in. I've been wearing heels since I was a toddler and I'm yet to hurt myself in them

• They make my calves look even better than they do. Love heels.

• I'm under 5 feet tall. Plus they're cute.

• I don't like heels and only wear them on special occasions and especially when I know I'll be sitting for the most part

• I personally hate highheels.. I can't even walk in them, I look ridiculous. I think they look good though on women who can walk in them.. I stick to my crocs, keds & combat boots. (& sandals)

• Lol I like them cause they make my legs look nice and it looks cute with short dresses and skirts. But I only wear them for special occasions

• They really tone up your legs while walking in them, they even lift your butt up a little. The added height also adds the much needed boost of confidence for some and some just love the way its makes their legs look. I have absolutely hideous feet but they look really good in a hot pair of heels. Its like what suits do for guys basically [in my opinion].

• I don't

• they look nice and make you feel elegant

• Because they make our legs look longer and our bodies slimmer.

• I adore them because they make me look taller 💞

• I hate them.

• Because they're cute. I like the way they look but it's but for me to wear

• I just love the way they give my legs a more shapely feminine look.

• Longer legs!!

• It's feminine thats why
    I love them ❤👢👠

• I like boots more, but I do love my heels. They're stylish and give me more height.

• I bought a cheap pair and they're so uncomfortable. I don't know how to make them more comfortable.

• Where do they hurt most, and when?

If the pain is just under the balls of yr feet, you can get those Dr. Scholl's foot pads that stick in the shoe and soften it a little. (Or try shoes with a platform, which tend to be more forgiving on that part of yr foot -- although walking in them takes some practice at first.)

But yah lmk

• @redeyemindtricks they are closed toed and as I'm inside inspecting my arches they look... medium. Thanks for the suggestions tho, I'll look for those.

• yah check 'em out and lmk how they work out.

• More from Girls
    8