Should you throw your makeup out after six months?

Some beauty experts say that you should throw your makeup away after using it for six months because it gets bad for your skin.
Should you really do that? Because it is hella expensive, would be such a waste.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Does make up have an expiry date? And if so? Would you chuck away perfectly good mascara? Because some beauty expert said so? Lol

Hell no, my make up selections are expensive. The only time I chuck mascara away is when it's completely dried out and clumpy and it's not good to use anymore. Foundation that is starting to lighten up and not look like my skin tone.

Beauty experts may think that because they work with make up 24/7. They see clients all the time and doing what they do, they may feel more obligated to update there make up kit every 4-6 months. If you have the money to chuck stuff away like that, go ahead. But not me lol

What Guys Said 8

• If it is that expensive, and you still have it after 6 months, either don't buy it (since you don't use it often, I assume) or buy in less quantities.

About the makeup itself, follow the instructions and expiration date (does it even have an expiration?). That should be the guides to follow.. not some "expert"

• With the possible exception of Nutrimetics, all cosmetics are bad for the skin.
    If you want to extend the life of the products, keep your cosmetics in the refrigerator.
    Any chemical compound such as a cosmetic will deteriorate because of an on-going chemical reaction between the constituents and bacterial activity.
    Reducing the temperature at which the cosmetic is stored will slow both the reaction and bacterial activity.

• Don't worry, makeup is always bad for your skin :)

Not if you use it properly.
      Remove it every night before going to bed and throw old makeup away

It's not wearing the make-up thats bad for your skin, its not getting it off proparly! if you are using a decent cleanser at the end of the day and removing it proparly, there will be no harm done to the skin.
      Most makeup products contain SPF protection. It actually provides a barrier between your skin and the environment, pollution and harmful rays.

... uh-huh

• Does it really matter? Applying makeup is bad to begin with.

• Absolutely I did

• i can't throw stuff away that i dont have.

• No sell it on ebay or Amazon and rip off unknowing victims

• Noo that's a waste

What Girls Said 20

• Foundation maybe, I don't use it though.
    I have perfectly clear skin and still use makeup from 3years ago, haven't cared much about so called "expiry" since I started using makeup at 14.

• To be honest, it depends. For things like mascara and liquid eyeliner, yes. Liquid foundation can typically last up to a year before going bad. Not only can using something past it's expiration date be bad for your skin, it also just looking as good. For me personally when something is a powder or something I can sharpen I have the tendency to keep it for years. I typically go drugstore for things like mascara, but go higher end for things like eye shadow.
    Most make up even has a symbol of a opened jar with a number on it. That tells you how many months after you open it how long that product is good for.

• Only with eye products.

If you store it well and use a clean brush every time, i think its fine.
    Makeup is expensive. I'm getting my moneys worth!

But I do replace my eyeliner and mascara after 3 months because bacteria can build up and I don't want that getting near my eye.

• I go through my makeup a lot quicker than that and have never heard that. I also refuse to spend a ton of money on makeup when cheaper stuff works just as well. My cover up costs about $7 and my foundation $12 and I haven't found anything that works better.

• In that case, those so-called beauty products don't know jack shit. I thought it was obvious that it totally depends on the product. Some can last for quite a while, some... not so much.
    www.makeup.com/.../save-or-toss-header.jpg

• yes i pay attention to the shelf life of my makeup (either its 6 months/18 months/24 months)

• Theyre right, the makeup can ruin your skin. But its up to you if you want to keep it. Which is why you dont buy expensive makeup.

• I go through my makeup waaaay quicker than six months. Eye makeup you should chuck though because it can cause eye infections. I have seen this first hand at least twice.

• My foundation is $30. I'm not throwing that compact out until I scrape it out of every corner.

• I've never done that. I use them until they're gone. I actually didn't even know makeup expires :/

• I dont, it you use it a lot why bother?

• Beauty experts want more $$$$$$$$ I'm not throwing jackshit out.

• Yes , it has an expiration date too , and you shouldn't be using it after it expires.

• Well it depends on what type of makeup it is.

I throw my mascara out after about 3 months.

• I'm not throwing anything away. That shit is too expensive.

• I don't buy many products once, always got one from everything I need so there would be no waste

• It depends on the product

• Thats what they say, but i dont ever throw mine away cause i agree with you that it is expensive, plus it still seem good to use. Just the mascara that i dont keep long, like ill keep it for only 3-6mths. Sometimes ill use it for my eyebrows too.

• Putting those products on your skin is bad regardless. But anyway, each individual product has its own expiration date. You should follow the expiration dates given for each cosmetic product.

• They say you should, I don't. Most people i know don't. I think it's bad to keep things like mascara for years or whatever because of eye infections being easily caught from bacteria.. and a mascara brush is an ideal breeding ground, but the rest, who cares. I bet people who sell make up just made it up so we'd buy more. I mean, tons of make up products can't even be used up within the recommended time frame anyway.