Piercing a baby girl's ears - yay or nay?

I just got done skimming through a young mom's blog, somehow it popped up on my facebook feed and I just thought I'd give it a quick read. Her baby girl is now 5 months old, and in one of her posts she talked about the possibility of piercing her baby's ears.
Her argument was that her mother had done it to her when she was a baby too, and she liked it this way because "the baby won't even remember the pain", plus she thinks it's cute. She also claimed that it's smart because apparently, she thinks the baby won't pick at the earrings and try to rip them or whatever, which a slightly older child might.

What do you think?

In my opinion, I think it's completely unnecessary and so superficial. Babies don't need earrings, and I've always strongly opposed altering your baby's appearance without their consent (such as circumcision, piercings etc). Plus, the risk of infection is higher, as a baby's immune system isn't as strongly developed, so it might take a really nasty and potentially dangerous turn. It's just better to wait until the kid is older and let her (or him) decide for herself (himself).

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I had my ears pierced when I was a toddler, and I'm okay with my parents' decision to do it at that age, it's not affected me negatively and I'm glad I kind of got it 'over and done with' if that makes sense. I completely understand why people would be against it though. I don't plan on piercing my own child's ears - that's for them to decide on when they get older.

What Guys Said 20

• A baby is not a toy. Women (or men) shouldn't treat babies like they're dolls any more than men should treat their guns like they're the same cap/nerf/squirt guns they played with when they were five.

Incidentally, I dated TWO women who didn't get their ears pierced until their twenties. I went with both of them when they had their lobes done. Neither of them cried or suffered complications. To whatever extent all women will want their ears pierced anyway and it will be A THOUSAND TIMES WORSE (!!!) as an adult, it doesn't justify doing it when they are incapable of understanding what's happening and why in my opinion.

Getting your ears pierced is barely painful though. It stings for like a couple of seconds, but after that the area just feels warm.

• I'm strongly against body mutilation... Whether it's just a piercing or even more serious, sircumsizion, it's really not acceptable... Only a sick person would do that... "I think it's cute so I'll get her ears pierced..." It's the same as saying that you might get your child's hand cut of completely because it looks cute... Where I live, the girls rarely get their ears pierced... And many of those whose ears were pierced, don't even wear earrings... The Muslim population usually does it but they don't wear earrings unless there is a wedding or something like that, usually... It's just wrong...
    Would you be fine if someone heavily sedated you and cut your arm off, and then said it's OK because you didn't feel anything? Exactly...
    Would you rather have a child that will hate you for doing something without her knowledge?
    When the child can think properly, and decide what it wants to do with it's body, they can have whatever they want... If they want their nails ripped out, let them have it...

• my daughter is 1 year-old. we haven't thought about piercing her ears, or at least i haven't and at 5 months old i would be firmly against it.

i don't know at what age i would but up until a certain age it seems really unnecessary

i do know that a lot of places it's sort of a tradition or a rite of passage... still not for me though

• I'm against both female and male circumcision, because I believe it's mutilating a child and I'm pro everything that follows that argument.

Honestly, I don't see piercing a baby girl's ear as that of a big deal, BUT I suppose I'd be a hypocrite to support it as it follows the same principle that circumcision has: You're altering a baby's body, period. Children should decide later on in their lives if they would like to put a piercing and whatnot. This isn't a decision a parent should have. It's not like people won't identify a female baby just because she has no earrings on lol

Thanks for not being a hypocrite. Yeah it's not as dramatic as circumcision and lots of people who got their ears pierced as kids didn't mind. But that doesn't make it ok, you're still forcing a baby who can't consent through a process that alters their body. Doesn't matter that the holes can close up and that the pain isn't something they remember. There's no excuse to do that to a baby when you can just as easily wait until the kid is like 13 and can make that decision for themselves. Babies don't need earrings.

• I think it's really wrong. It's obviously not being done for the baby but for the idiot parent who decides to do that. Let babies and children be babies and children.

• I'm against it, i think once the child can make that decision with all thought of the consequences then they should be allowed to do it, and if a child does have a passion of want to do it, then the parent should help them through evaluating the good and bad sides of it.

• You should have included a poll for women who had it pierced and would have liked to decide for themselves, and for the ones that had to do it in adult life, and see if they'd have preferred to be done as a baby.

I think it's ok because of the pain thing you mentioned. If they don't like it, it closes later right? No biggie. It's just a standard for girls.. I see no harm in it, or need to change it.

This doesn't count obviously:
    If I was a girl, I'd like it done as a baby because of the pain (hate pain). and it would always be another place to place some beauty items xD

It's not about it closing later. It's about doing something to someone else's body that they can't consent to.

1) getting a haircut isn't painful
      2) getting a haircut is practical, as longer hair is more difficult to maintain, and especially with kids it's better to have shorter hair since it won't get stuck anywhere and the likelihood of knots and stuff is lower
      3) getting a haircut is healthy, since damaged hair and split ends can make your hair fall off
      There are plenty of benefits that come with cutting and maintaining hair. Earrings are purely superficial, there are no benefits, and getting them is and can be painful. Not to mention the risk of the holes getting infected.
      There are good things you can do to a child that are more about health and maintaining good hygiene, such as getting them vaccinated, cutting hair and nails etc. These are necessary life things. Earrings are not.

True

• Hell if she wants to get it Pierced she can once she grows enough to take her decision and bear the pain

• I'm agaisnt it personally.

• no. if she wants to get her ears pierced once she's old enough to decide herself... sure, why not. But I won't pierce someone who can't say no just because I think it looks pretty

• i have no problem w/ it.

it's really not worth discussing unless it's excessive piercing.

• I am against any body modifications done to underage children, circumcision included

• Nope it should not be done... It should be the choice of the baby when it grows up...

• nay. I think that kids should have some say in the matter, and babies can't speak for themselves.

• While an ear piercing is not as severe as genital mutilation, it is still honestly kinda dumb to treat your kid like a doll you can plug holes into just because YOU think "It looks prettier that way".

It's not as severe but the core point is the same: you're messing with someone else's body without their consent and that's disgusting, no matter how small or big the alteration is.
      I agree. Kids are not dolls. If she wants to get her ears pierced when she's a teen or adult because she thinks it's pretty, then by all means. The important part is that she's the one making that decision for herself.

The key difference is that the change isn't permanent, because the pierced skin grows back. Unlike the foreskin, which covers so much area that it doesn't.

But yes, otherwise I agree. I could make the claim that we should shove stuff up the baby's vagina to "stretch them out to ensure they won't have trouble losing their virginity" and "they don't remember the pain so we are doing them a favor on the long run", but any sane individual would claim that's insane and abuse. There are a stupid number of things you could justify by "they don't remember so it's not wrong". Which is why it is not a valid excuse.

Exactly.

• Hell no, what's wrong with her mom?

• Hell no!
    That is a criminal assault upon a child.
    If she/he wants an ear piercing, she/he can arrange it when she/he is of legal age.
    Further, talk to an acupuncturist about the irreparable harm that ear piercings can do.
    The ear is like a mini circuitboard of the body's entire nervous system. Punch a hole in the wrong place and the result can be a lifetime of health problems.

• I say yes, I would pierce my baby daughter's ears!

Why? Do you also support circumcision?

"Most youth girls, teen girls and adult women wear earrings, so it makes sense to pierce her ears very young"
      ... then let her get them done when she's a teen or an adult. Your logic doesn't make any sense. You can also put a pink hat on her to make sure that everyone knows she's a girl, if that's so important to you.
      Doing something to a child without their consent is honestly disgusting and I don't understand how you can support it. It's not about pain, it's about bodily integrity/autonomy. If I put you under and chopped off your hand, and made sure you didn't feel any pain whatsoever during the healing process, would you be ok with that? No, because someone did something to you against your will and you had no say in it. And even though circumcisions and ear piercings aren't as dramatic as that, the core is still the same: don't fuck with someone else's body without their consent.

@madhatters4 dude you are insulting me so you better stop it because i will lick your toes

• I dont really know. It just doesn't seem like something that would come up in my mind when having a kid.

• yayyy

What Girls Said 35

• Against it. I had my ears pierced when I was young, not a baby, but like 6 or 7 and even at that age I wish that my parents hadn't let me do it. I only did it cause my dad said I would be too much of a baby and I wanted to prove him wrong :P Not really a good reason.

• I think it's totally out of order, it's mutilating your kids ears so you can push metal into them, to make them look pretty for you.

Also, babies choke on small things, I think it's totally reckless and stupid to put something on your baby that it could eat and choke.

If the kid wants to pierce it's ears it will let you know.

mutilating?

lol. just sign off.

Technically there are cases in which enough of the foreskin is removed to cause permanent damage and sexual dysfunction. I think the concept of "majority" varies. :P

But I do admit they don't chop off the glans, that'd equal to the removal of the penis, which is pretty stupid.

• I wouldn't do it with my hypothetical kid because I just don't want the extra hassle. When they're old enough to take care of them themselves we can talk about getting her ears pierced.

• I think it's dumb and unnecessary. If my child wants earrings then I'll allow it when they're old enough to make that decision for themselves.

• Lol at the comments on here. It's not mutilation. 😂 Personally wish I had mine done as a baby. I had mine first done when I was 5 because I wanted them so bad, but I could barely take care of them and took them in and out when I shouldn't and in the end I had to take them out altogether because of my stupidness. 😑
    Later got them done again at like 13 and been loving it since and also got my cartilage done some years ago. :)

Personally I think earrings in the lobes are fine to do on babies, I mean if she hates it when she's older she can simply take it out and let it grow intact again, really not a big deal at all. It's not like circumcision where you have to go through a whole nother operation to get foreskin again. Plus earrings are really not that painful at all. Saying it will hurt the baby, we'll you know what hurt more? Vaccine needles. Sometimes you gotta go through a bit of pain in life, just fucking live with it.

Except that it kind of is like circumcision. You're not exactly chopping off a part of the baby no, but you're still altering its body without its consent, and for no other reason than you thinking it looks "cute". And yeah, and infection actually is pretty painful, so worst case scenario the baby will end up with an infection. Not saying that getting the actual piercing is painful, though.
      Why put the baby through this unnecessary BS for your own satisfaction? -_- Just let her grow up and make that decision on her own.

Yeah lol we might as well chop the ears off tok because ifs cute like a dog

• Against it. In fact I think it should be illegal. Whenever I see a baby with pierced ears I think it's ridicoulous

1) It's her body, she should be able to make that decision when she is older. I don't even understand what's going on in parents head, when they poke two little holes into their child? Do they think it makes their baby that much prettier
    2) It's sad how early the parents impose their idea of beauty on their baby.

• I dont see the point personally... I got mine done at 13. My mates daughter chose at 5 that she wanted them and so she let her... Its fine she's good with them so its not a problem.

• Piercing ears don't hurt that much to begin with...
    maybe her daughter won't want her ears pierced when she's older.
    She's ok with hurting and modifying her baby as it's cute?

• My mom pierced my ears when I was about the same age as the baby in your story. I wish she didn't because I don't even like piercings tbh. If I had a choice in getting a body mod it would be an elf ear body mod. I wish she would have waited until I was older so I could tell her that I don't want piercings.

• As much as I love piercings, I have to agree with you. It should be the kids decision not the parents if there are holes in their bodies or not.

• This shouldn't even be a question for parents to be honest, personally I would not pierce my daughters ears until she was five

• I wouldn't get a baby's ears pierced until they get a bit older then yeah, but if they are just a baby and still growing I would wait on it.

• A baby's ears... no.

But you are okay with circumcision?

Sorry that i am speaking on this topic just reminds me of that i was really angry at my parents for msking a decision like this but luckily i grew it back

@Bobbyhill1 oh. No problem. It's fine.. 😊

• It's jewelry. It's the parents' choice, and it's only harmful if the piercings are neglected and cleaned improperly. My friends and I had our ears pierced young, and we aren't traumatized from it in the slightest. Is it unnecessary? Yes. But is it mutilation? No. If you don't like it, don't get your baby's ears pierced.

Why is it the parents' choice to change their baby's body? Shouldn't the baby be allowed to choose for herself? Doesn't it make more sense to wait until she's old enough to make that decision? It's not about trauma, it's about bodily autonomy as well as piercings being completely unnecessary on a baby.

I think it's more of you not liking the explanation than the explanation being unreasonable.

Quite frankly no, I don't think any of the excuses are worth punching holes in a babies ears for.

• I would not do this to my child. I see babies with earrings all the time and the younger they are, the more I cringe. However, the babies are happy either way so I would never say anything to the parents.

• I don't think anyone should pierce their baby's ears, kinda traumatizing to the kid dontcha think?

• Nay, best to let them make that choice once their older.

• I'm against this. It just doesn't seem like the actions of a responsible parent. I think the absolute minimum age to consider doing this is at 13, which is when I had my ears pierced.

• I think it's pretty awful.

But you are okay with circumcision?

no you wouldn't because you aren't a guy. 80% of men dont want their stuff cut off and they go throughout life without cutting it. Women are more suspect-able to utis, does that mean we chop off your clitoral hood? 99% of male babies face no complications with not being cut, 2% of male new born babies get utis these days and even in the 80s the number was only at 4% without circumcision. do you not understand that 98% of uncut babies face no problem? where the hell is your health benefits that your doctor speaks of? you are more suspect-able to a uti when circumcised considering there is a open wound that you have to treat following over the next few months. Please do tell me, where exactly are these benefits? Why won't you chop up your daughter when there are more complications within the female anatomy? no, you'd rather get a entire isle of female grooming products before you even think of something like that but because its a male you are not willing to ACTUALLY learn about anatomy

and the fact that you saw the surgery and are still going through it says something else about you personally. Even with all the education at your disposal you choose to listen to your family member ''cuz he's a doctor'' . approximately 2 percent of boys and 8 percent of girls have a UTI in childhood. that means if you are a girl, then you are 4 times more likely to develop utis since the urethra is shorter than that in boys. but you can't do this to girls at birth because its considered sexual assault. Do me a favor, and stay the fuck away from other peoples privates because I sure as hell would not be happy to have healthy functioning skin removed due to an ignorant parent who knew nothing about morality or the health benefits of NOT mutilating a baby

• NO. Why the fuck would you do that?

• I thought that they do it at that age cause you babies don t feel as much pain.
    Anyway regardless of that, I don t think it s an issue really and it s not superficial.
    If the kid doesn t like it she can always remove it and the hole will close...

Uh, considering that parents get it done because it's "cute", yeah it's superficial. Babies do feel just as much pain, if not more simply because they're not used to the feeling of pain the same way an adult is. They just don't remember it. And tbh getting your ears pierced is such a small thing to begin with that you might as well wait until they're old.
      The hole won't close if she has had it for years. I've had my ears pierced since I was 12 and the hole didn't close when I was 14 and didn't wear any earrings for 6 months. Plus why do it if there's a possibility she won't like it? It's better to just let her decide instead of wasting time and money on something she can't consent to as a baby.

Lol ok look, my parents and grand parents did it cause they thought babies feel less pain so it s better to do it young. Maybe if they knew that the kid would feel as much pain they wouldn t have done it. They re just giving you an option, you get to decide if you wanna wear the earing ir not later on. And in the end the whole will close after some time. It doesn t affect your appearance or lifestyle whatsoever.
      About people being superficial well you have a lot to argue about here... even the clothing style and hair cuts. Like who told you the kid wants this hairstyle or this dress right? You gotta ask him, he should have an opinion in that too lol.
      I think there are more. important issues in life yea?
      Like baptism, not showing love to your kids, education, starvation, selling kids and so on...
      This just sounds silly really sry

The option is there even if they don't pierce the baby's ears. Piercings aren't going anywhere, the kid can get it done later in life if she so wishes.
      Never claimed that there aren't more important issues either.

• I don't see the real problem. If the child grows up not to like them then all she gots to do is take them out and the hole will close after a while. My mom had mine done at three years old and I haven't worn them in forever and they've already closed.

The real problem = doing something to your child that alters their body that they didn't consent to. Why not just let them grow up and make the choice on their own instead of forcing them through something they might not want later on, for your own superficial satisfaction?

I see your point but I still don't see the big deal. Its just a tiny hole in the ear. That's they're mother/father that did it so the child will most likely not mind, and if they do then all they got to do is take it out and it will close and they'll never have to wear a earring again. Problem solved. I don't feel like starting a argument. I respect your opinion, please respect mine.

I do respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it. Even if it's a "small" thing I still don't think it's ok to do as it violates the baby's bodily integrity.

• I don't like that idea, too much pain for the baby

• I would do it. My parents did it with me, my sisters, and most women in my culture also get it done when they are babies.

• my mom pierced my ears around 2 it sounds fine tho cause i would have pierced it anyways once older

It's fine that you're ok with it but some might not be, plus it's something you can get when you're older anyway so I don't understand the rush. Babies don't need earrings.

i know what you mean here

• I'm getting my baby girl's ears pierced.

Why?

Disgusting.

Kay thanks.

• I got my ears pierced when I was a baby. I wouldn't be so brave to get them pierced now so I'm pretty happy with my parent's decision, even tho I don't wear earrings at all.

• I think it's okay I was only 8 days old when I got mine done.

• My parents have done it to me.
    I don't think it's a big deal. Pretty much every girl wants to have her ears pierced.

Sure but wouldn't it be better to leave that decision for her to make when she's old enough to understand? Nothing bad about getting them at 12+ either, which is around the age most my friends (and me included) started getting our ears pierced.

• More from Girls
    5