Dying My Hair, Any Tips and Advice?

I'm dying my hair next week, but my mom won't let me dye it how I want it. She's afraid the school will yell at me for having blue hair. She wants to ease into it, but I want to get what I want the first time. There is multiple kids in my school that have unnatural hair color, and they don't get yelled at or anything, but my mom won't believe me. I want to dye it a pastel blue, but she said to get it as an blue ombré at first, see how the school reacts, then get it how I want it if the school doesn't yell. I don't know how to convince her to let me dye it pastel. Also, my cousin wants me to just get it as an ombré. I don't know what to do. Any advice? Any tips for dyed hair also?

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• Check with the school. Dying tips: those pretty pastel or even bright unnatural colors fade soooooo fast. As in dye it purple Sat, next Sat it is pastel pink, by the next it's gray, then you're left with bleach colored hair if you had to bleach it. It's almost a waste. That being said, as a lady who has colored her hair many colors of the rainbow over the years, I have found that hair salon rainbow colors fade a heck of a lot faster than the ones I buy myself and do from home. Sally's has everything you need and every shade. Got all my gear there a few weeks ago for 25 bucks. Dyes, developer, clips, gloves, bowls, and mixing bottles.

• Have her call the school and ask their policy on colored hair. If she gets a positive answer, then remind her that dyeing hair is damaging, and you'd rather just get the color you want than put your hair through several dye jobs.

That said, pastel is hard to achieve unless your hair is already very light. You may want to have a professional bleach it for you.

• Hmm well just do what she said and dye your hair fully later on. As you can see I have red hair and my school doesn't care at all.