How expensive should a bridesmaid's dress be?

Typically the bridesmaids pay for their own dress/shoes/jewelry/hair/makeup.

I'm looking at dresses for my bridal party and I'm astounded by how expensive these dresses are. There's a style of dress that I like that I feel will match the figures of the women I'm choosing to be bridesmaids and it's $129 which seems insane to me. And I know that $129 is on the low end of the prices. Like... I've never been a bridesmaid before. Is that a normal amount to drop on a dress?

There's a store that used to be open by me where you could buy good dresses for $20 lol but it closed (go figure) and now I'm stuck looking at retail stores and bridal stores and the prices are obscene.

Most Helpful Guy

• I recently had to lay down the law to my wife about her sister's wedding she was going to be a bridesmaid for and that she would have to pull out. For starters the specific bridesmaid dress was so expensive, then she had to pay an expensive stylist on the day, then she had to get a spray tan, help pay for a bridal shower and spa day. Then the fact that both of us would have to take days offf work, travel to the venue two states away, book a few nights in an expensive hotel but the real killer was when she was told she must have an expensive teeth whitening before hand. I was like f*ck no I ain't paying for that.

That certainly makes sense! My wedding party (at least the ladies) are all from nearby so travel costs won't be an issue. But no, I wouldn't pay for all that, either!

hey rents gotta be paid no matter what.

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't go to a bridal shop, for one they will be expensive but for two, they won't sell normal dresses so anything you buy will most likely be worn once... that just isn't right in my book.

I'm a bridesmaid in a few weeks and my dress cost £30. You can easily find a style that suits and looks the part for that price. I'm very happy with a £30 and I'm not even paying for it.

Maybe just have a common colour and let the ladies choose an individual style... as long as the colours match I think it still looks good and then all the different shapes look good too.

These are the dresses we'll be wearing... not super formal, but pretty I think... the photos really don't do them justice...

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/.../...g6y-72L.jpg

i.ebayimg.com/.../$_3.JPG

What Guys Said 2

• Ten dollars from the thrift store.

• Yeah anything to do with that is not cheap so you are doing good just spending around that

What Girls Said 17

• Well it really depends on what you like, I mean like &129 isn't really cheap you know. Plus it depends on how close you are to your bridesmaids because my sister had two weddings one in aus and one in China, for China only her close bridesmaids including me went and we were just 3 and we chose and bought the bridesmaid dresses ourselves, it cost us around $150. Whereas in Australia, my sister paid for bridesmaid clothes for 7 bridesmaids and they cost her around $150 each. So it truly depends on you yourself on how much you wanna go. I suggest you look at online boutiques too because the bridesmaid dress I got for China was a very very good quality and classy for $150, it looked way more expensive than it was, so I think you should shop around or check a lot of things online for nice bridesmaid dresses, I know that Asos has nice ones and they are quite reasonable too but that is Asos au, I don't know if it's the same where you are.

My bridal party will be paying for their own dresses. I just really want them to all wear the same dress and I don't want to make them pay through the roof.

I suggest you look online then, it's way cheaper online and if you do enough research, you will know if it's a good quality or not. Plus online shopping opens you up to so much more designs and opportunities, so try and look online.

• I think it really depends on how formal the Wedding is and just how much you are spending on your gown. The bridesmaids dresses really are an extension or an accessory to the bride's gown, they make the bride look all that much better if everything coordinates. My bridesmaids outfits ran around $450 - 500 each, including the jewelry given as my gift to them. It isn't unheard of for the bride to help her bridesmaids out financially with the dresses if they are expensive or the bridesmaid may have trouble affording it.

• I think the $129 is pretty good. My bridesmaid dress was $120. Shoes were $50, but needed to be dyed to match the dress (bride's request) and that was an additional $20. My hair was $40. Makeup was $20 (she did the whole bridal party so we got a deal). And my jewelry was just earrings and they were only $8. So all together I spent $258. The budget set was $350-400. So we were well inside the budget.

It all depends on the bride, which is you. Some bride's are over the top and some aren't. My sister was pretty chill.

• There are consignment stores and also online used sale places. You might have to make a small adjustment to the cloths but it should be cheaper. The only other way is if you have the time and can find fabric at a reasonable price you can make them yourself.

• Don't go to an offical bridal store, a friend choose dresses for $75 at asos.

ukcdn.usablenet.com/.../image3xxl.jpg

• Because I want everything to look and be absolutely perfect for my wedding in three weeks time, I am paying for everything for my two bridesmaids, my flowergirl, and my two little page boys.
    Only last Sat. I paid the bill which came to £830 and will still have more to pay when the girls have their hair and makeup done on the wedding morning.
    You may indeed call this, and me extravagant, but a girl is only suppose to marry once in her lifetime, and to have a wedding that she and anyone else never forgets, therefore am prepared to dig very deed indeed to do everything I possibly can to make this happen.

• That sounds expensive to me.
    I'd say 50-80 dollars tops - so maybe looks for some kind of a sale...

• That does seem so bad. Once had to buy a $250 dress for a bride that had her own dress made by a friend for $50. Don't make it more than your own dress. Ten years later and I'm still mad about that one.

• It should be beautiful and compliant to the rest of the wedding. All the rest does not matter. The proce tag is removed before the wedding (at least I hope for you ;-) )

• Mine was like $150 I think?
    I did my own makeup, just simple stuff, and the bride curled my hair. So I only payed for the dress.

It isn't expensive as far as bridesmaid dresses go.

• I'm in my sister's wedding and I'm only paying for my dress and shoes. My dress was $139 and I think mine was the most expensive, of the three bridesmaids, but we got ours at David's Bridal.

• Yeah I think it's normal. I was a bridesmaid (for whatever reason) at my cousin's wedding and the dress cost $300

• It cost around 1500 euros in my country. I think 1000 euros for a dress is a good price (at this price dress are pretty)

• Yeah that's normal

• Under 1 million dollars

• Around 200 bucks maybe

• $129 sounds purty cheap for something that if for your WEDDING to me.