Is makeup ruining your natural look?

This is just an observation but last night at VMA's Alisha Keys has decided to stop wearing makeup and now every time I see her she looks like she wants too sleep. But she's not the only one that looks tired without makeup, which begs the question if you know that make drys your skin and makes you look tired, why are we still advertising it? Young girls should be aware of how makeup advances the aging process, they should at least put a girl without makeup on the makeup kit, just like how they put a disease lung on cigarette boxes.

Let me know your thoughts bellow if makeup is ruining your natural look?

Is makeup ruining your nature look?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yea she is gorgeous but she does look sleepy.
    This happens to lots of women. I always make the mistake of commenting "damn are you sick? Sleepy?" When I see a woman without makeup. Lol sorry, don't cake it on everyday and we won't be thrown off

Some women say she doesn't look sleepy are the in denial?

Snapchat was the one who ran the article about her looking tired but every thought it was my opinion alone. They hated me for saying it but pop culture was saying the same thing

Thanks for mh

What Girls Said 47

• Haha, all women are tired! She looks normal. She looks like a woman. Trust me you'd guys get a different image of what beauty is if women stopped wearing makeup all together. Freckles, sunspots, sun damage, wrinkles, blemishes, acne, uneven flesh tones, thin eyebrows and non-existent lashes, hyper-pigmentation, birth marks, moles, blackheads, and much much more! If you fellas had to look at our natural faces every day the way we have to look at yours, the standard of beauty would be very different. Also makeup, especially the expensive kind, which I'm sure she's using, are made with moisturizers and vitamins. Some brands are even designed to brighten and clear the skin underneath.

• She doesn't look tired, she looks normal to me. I think because so many women wear make up that enhances their eyes so much (so they look big and energized at all time) people forget how we really look like. Many women have dark or red circles under their eyes, doesn't mean they're tired. People just aren't used to the "raw" look because they expect flawlessness and humans aren't flawless at all. And when women do try to go without makeup they constantly get asked if they're tired or if they're okay or if they've been crying etc etc. (I don't get that but I've seen many people ask such questions to girls who decided to not bother with makeup that day). So in a way there is almost a pressure to always look energetic and healthy because no makeup makes people look sickly (so they think).

Personally I don't wear concealer or foundation on my skin so I barely look much different with or without makeup. While makeup can ruin your skin at times it doesn't always if you still take care of it properly.

• Yes! Finally! Thank you!
    I definitely believe makeup ruins your natural beauty and when your face gets used to wearing makeup, its gon look tired if you go out without wearing it. I just wish girls would stop depending on makeup to look pretty. People who are used to seeing a girl wear makeup every day are not gonna find her as pretty without it. And those girls with natural beauty who embrace it and who don't let their skin get used to foundation and all that crap have fresher and prettier faces.
    But who am I kidding... girls - esp the young ones - are never gonna listen. 🙄🔫

High five, girl! I totally agree.

Make up is a mask - why hide your natural beauty behind it? Wearing make up means insecurity, that simple!

Again thats BS. Because I don't hide behind a mask. You clearly don't understand how make-up works.

@apple24 Oh yeah, you don't hide behind a mask? So what would you call foundation and this other crap you put all over your face to cover your skin and make it "look better"? Just to make you aware of the definition of a mask: "a covering for all or part of the face". You clearly don't understand what your make up does.

• She doesn't look tired to me... She looks good.
    Has great skin.

Everyone that advertises makeup is wearing makeup. What's the point of putting a person without makeup on - on an eyeshadow paletter for example. That's just stupid for so many reasons. It's like saying: "Listen... you're probably really UGLY and you NEED this to look like a normal, presentable person."

Marketing ----- watches how it speaks to their customers.
    And no - makeup doesn't make skin worse - unless a person is sleeping with it on.

The government realized that smoking was killing people so they forced the cigarette companies to put a warning about it's hazardous effect.

Makeup in the states is not regulated so the chemical they put in them can be harmful but they don't need to disclose that information.

Also it seem to me that I probably should have posted an article stating the negative effects of makeup cause it seems to me that women are seriously miss informed :/

Do yourself a favour a research harmful effects of makeup and you find that makeup companies are under no agreement to disclose the chemicals that they used, they are in Europe but not in North America.

You can even listen to a podcasts call "how stuff works"and type in makeup

Lucky I am a European then... Haha

• haha honey she doesn't look tired, she looks like any women without makeup should look

Not true

@GrapeJuice I don't wear makeup, only lipstick when I am going out and you really can't see a beautiful woman because Alicia looks stunning

grapejuice never sees any real women cuz he lives in his moms basements

• She is gorgeous without makeup, most girls I know look tired without makeup, that's how most girls look to other people who are use to seeing them with makeup. Makeup only enhances the beauty women already has, obviously no makeup is going to make someone look refreshed and dull.

Also I do not get it, some of you men say you prefer women without makeup and yet now you are questioning her even with makeup? Geez this is why I encourage women to do things that make themselves happy because some of you men complain either way

• Lol, we look sickly and tired without makeup, that's why we wear it. Wearing it didn't make us look that way, it's just we as a society have become so used to seeing women with makeup that the contrast can be striking. If you use good products it's not harming your skin at all.

>> Lol, we look sickly and tired without makeup, that's why we wear it.

Wrong, that's like BMI 16 girls saying they're fat

No cause my mom is in her fifties and people think we're married, but my cousin who is the same age as me looks way more tired than me when she takes off her makeup.

It's probably because you're used to seeing her wearing it, the makeup didn't cause it, it's just the drastic difference of seeing her with and without. And your mom obviously has good genetics.

• I've noticed that sleepy look too! Whenever I see someone who I know with make up and this time she's without it, she looks so tired and as if it's the middle of the night (people at my age or younger).

I've never had my face plastered with make up and I rarely get that, despite sometimes having little sleep or being tired in general.

Some make up blocks your pores, so your skin can't breathe. Some of it can also make people's acne worse etc.

Why bother putting the mask on anyway? Why hiding behind it instead of showing your real self and being proud and confident with it? Don't understand other women nowadays!

I reposted this question and added a video hopefully I can educate people.

@Heera yup They think I am not confident or something. Just cuz I like wearing bright lipstick. Fuck that. Even if I was dating a guy and he didn't like it I would leave him asap. Some girls are just jealous thou. I seen old ladies wear make-up and I am sure they don't care to impress anyone at their age. Its an art that you put on everyday... There is so many options.

@nirala_na Its 2016 do you think women are stupid or something? Marketing and everything in life is trying to get your money and get what you need. Everyday someone making more money scaming people. The way I see it is I love colors and I love mix my make-up. I don't want look the same. I want my blue lip and purple blush and my eyes darker... But its for fun an art... Something I enjoy... You got put your feelings aside and realize that we eat chemical that we breath them and yeah I put someone on my face. So what? I am gonna die some day aren't I? Might as well in joy my nice skin products and colorful shades of purple.

• 1. She does not look tired at all, if anything it's just very harsh lighting. Most celebs on the red carpet are wearing extremely heavy makeup on the red carpet. It looks awful in real life but in photos and videos it looks good.

2. Makeup does not dry out your skin, ask any woman with oily skin.

3. Makeup does not age you. The tugging of skin when applying makeup and not removing it properly does. If it were true people who worked in jobs that involved wearing very heavy makeup regularly (e. g model, actress, dancer) would all look haggard. Also Alicia looks a lot younger than see is in that photo.

4. Makeup is not good for your however not all makeup is bad for it. It is possible to find products that are not comedogenic, acnegenic and other bad things you can think. It's about reading and researching the contents of a product. Also there are many natural alternatives on the market. As well different countries have different standards when it comes to makeup. For example my country has very high standard whilst China has very low standards, for example lead has been found in some makeup in China. So I wouldn't buy makeup from certain countries.

• no, you (as well as society) are just not used to seeing women without make up
    make up can sure have negative effects but not that drastic
    Alicia is looking good on this pic, maybe just a little tired
    also you might think some women don't wear make up but you'd be surprised they do, many guys think some women are without make up when they actually have make up on

• She looks amazing, nothing less. Makeup doesn't ruin your looks if you make sure not to wear stuff that's filled with chemicals and always clean it off at home. The reason why you think she looks like she is ruined is because you are used to seeing a perfect version of her. If no-one wore makeup, you'd think her bare face was as hot as you think her styled face is now, because you standards and means of comparison would be different.

• Make up ruining your natural look? Well that depends on the chemicals found in the make up products a girl uses, whether she cleanses her face proper and removes the make up completely, and if she pampers her skin or has a weekly or daily skin care routine. The true prematurity cause for skin is the sun's UV rays. In fact, it causes 80% of skin wrinkles and ageing in an individual's face. It is because of this exact reason that so many foundations, tinted moisturizers, and concealers contain SPF - to protect the skin from the aging effects of the sun. In the case of make up products that don't contain any harmful chemicals, they are simply pigmented sunblock which serve to even skin out and protect it from the sun. However, the danger or i guess you could say misuse of these products can cause undesired effects such as aging, uneven skin, pimples, and etc. This is due to not removing the make up completely at the end of the day. If it isn't removed properly, it can sink into the pores of the skin and trap or become an adhesive for whatever dirt or irritations are exposed to the skin everyday. However, if make up is removed properly and completely than no make up does not ruin a girl's natural look.

• Women without makeup don't look tired because the products cause their eyes to change. They look tired because mascara, eyeshadow and eyeliner enhances the eyes, making them bigger usually and more intense. Without all that decoration, someone might look tired. Especially if you always See them all dolled up, and one day you don't. Something is missing. It's Kind of like when you See someone who always wears classes and one time they just don't. You get confused

• I dont think it ruins anything but improper use of, and process of application and and not protecting your skin using correct products and not removing it correctly or having a skin care regime is what ages these ladies... proper procedures is what ladies need to educated on I think and also educational process of loving your skin your in because makeup mean nothing if you dont take care of yourself

• You think they look tired because you got used to their faces full of makeup.
    Otherwise that girl looks great, not tired at all.

I messed up I should have posted girls that never wear makeup against girls that do, I'm gonna do another repost.

• I don't wear make up every day, but I do Moisturize by skin Every day with Good Moisturizers.
    A Little is okay, as long as you use it wisely, and Make sure it is Natural products.
    Good luck and Great Question, Thanks for sharing, @cchris989 xx

• I think she actually looks younger without makeup and props to her. I don't think makeup itself makes you age more but the way you apply it (tugging at eyes etc) I'm always very careful when applying makeup always using stippling motions rather than dragging and if I do need to drag I will do it as gently as I can to not move my skin but rather the product over the skin.

I don't see how clogging you pores is helping tho :/

But I messed up I should have posted girls that never wear makeup against girls that do, I'm gonna do another repost.

Thats why you wash your face... Clogged pours really only cause acne and black heads, easily avoided if you have a good skin care routine which is pretty much common knowledge when using makeup.

Pores*

Also I only wear makeup on occasion and I'm sure my face is a lot older than my body, but so many other factors come into that.

• Lol makeup doesn't make you look tired... not wearing makeup does

• I hear foundation is really bad for the face.
    Even the seller at the store told me not to buy it. (It was long time ago) and perhaps it does damage the skin somewhat but maybe not that extreme way.

Not sure.

As for her looks, maybe that's actually her natural look without the cover ups. :p

It probably depends on the brand of foundation. Some are better than others.

• I could see that being the case. Its like a vicious circle. We put on makeup to look prettier and then without it we feel like we look worse than we actually do. Meanwhile our skin is drying out from the makeup causing us to put more makeup on to hide it

Literally the first woman that understands what I'm saying 🙌

• she looks normal to me, she doesn't even have under eye circles..

• It's not like wearing makeup is permanent. She will always have a face underneath. Girls will always look this way. I don't think makeup has ruined anything, maybe just the way you recognize things.

• Uh, no. Make up doesn't ruin your skin if you follow the rules.
    Prime
    Apply make up that suits your skin type
    Wipe down
    Wash face
    It's just that many people don't do this, or only after a couple years, or don't use good products or have bad skin care. She doesn't look tired, she looks natural.

• She hasn't been wearing makeup for like the last two years. She looks good and super young too. And I dont look sickly without makeup. these chicks lumping us all together need to stop. Makeup f*cks up the skin not help it.
    Oh and Buzzfeed ran an article about this and made it a gender war thing again.

• i don't know if it's the makeup that made her look sleepy

• What matters is confidence and I am always barefaced in some occasion. I only wear makeup when it is a special event and there is a makeup artist in charge ( I can do it by myself but I don't wanna be rude to them) and I asked from the makeup artist to minimize it because less is more. 😊

• Nah, I don't wear a lot of it regularly, and when I do I make sure I take it all off afterwards and take extra good care of my skin.

• She doesn't look more tired without make-up, she looks more awake when she wears it. That's why most girls like it so much and keep wearing it.

ha, okay I will keep an eye on it

• Makeup is disgusting.

• I've noticed this too. You'll have this beautiful natural look then start wearing makeup. But if you were to stop you won't have the beautiful natural face you started off with before you started wearing makeup.

• More from Girls
    17

What Guys Said 9

• No one forces anyone to wear makeup... Let's rephrase that; most people aren't forced to wear makeup. That's the individual's prerogative. It's like McDonald's. If you don't like McDonald's, no o e is forcing me to y'all to eat it yet complain about how y'all are getting fat because of it. Simply stop eating it

They should definitely make a super size me like documentary about makeup cause girls are under the impression that makeup isn't harming there skin :/

They aren't even close to the same thing... For one, most women wear makeup everyday anyways. Also, there is no immediate health issues stemming from it. Like, you don't get skin cancer from wearing it for a month unlike eating McDonald's for a week, which will literally clog your arteries

• There's lots of chemicals in most makeup which can damage the skin overtime and leave a haggard look. a lot of women plaster makeup on daily to attention whore on social media or social gatherings like bars and clubs so they can have their ego stroked for every nice guy they reject who ask them out. Women do it subconscious.

• She looks good in that photo...

• Women in the ancient roman empire looked very tired without make up because their make up contained arsenic and lead. It was the same for blacksmiths in ancient greece because they sometimes used arsenic to make bronze instead of tin because tin was scarse sometimes.

Girls that look tired look that way probably because of these same heavy metals like arsenic and lead in make up today.

• First time I have seen photo, I think she looks great.

• of course it is, even the all organic stuff. You mess up , go out in the sun and your complexion looks awful.

• Yes of course it ruins the natural look, it's a shame that people hate themselves so much that they think the only way they can be seen as "remotely appealing" is if they cake themselves in face paint

so using your logic, you are saying that all women who wear makeup, even ones who have only worn it ONCE in their entire lifetime hate themselves. That makes no sense at all, it sounds like you are just talking out of your ass.

@ikissedtheskyonce technically they assume wearing face paint makes them prettier

• She's old already

• Yes, it does, makeup is not healthy for skin.