Should I cut my hair?

Let me start off by saying that I am not one to make impulsive decisions and I always think long and hard about them, but I also sometimes have a hard time pulling the trigger and trying things, even if I really want to.
I'll try to keep this as short as possible, because I tend to write a book.

The pros of cutting my hair would be:
-Getting rid of the dead and thin ends
-Getting rid of most of the old dyed hair that's grown out (it looks ombre right now and I'm not wild about it)
-Adding more shape to my hair
-Making it more manageable (huge plus for me)

The cons are:
-Losing around 3" of length (making it just below the shoulders)
-Possibly regretting it
-Going somewhere I'm not familiar with (any hair shop, as I haven't had my hair professionally cut in several years) and having them mess it up or cut it way too short
-Drawing unwanted attention to myself (I'm very shy and timid and feel very nervous when people bring a change I've made in my appearance to attention, so I try to stay the same- part of my anxiety)

Now that I think about it, some of my cons are kind of silly, but they are things I worry about. As far as the last con goes, my family is the type to make a huge deal out of small things and it embarrasses the hell out of me when they are all like "OMG, DID YOU SEE HER HAIR? LOOK, SHE CHANGED IT!" I hate being the center of attention and it makes me really uncomfortable when they try to draw attention to me.

Sorry for the rambling and for the book! What do you think would be the best option? I know it is my hair and ultimately my decision, but sometimes I need help making choices like these, kind of like when there are two dishes that sound really good on a restaurant menu, but you don't know which one to pick, haha. Thanks in advance!

Most Helpful Guy

• Well you can see if one of your freinds wants to cut it. Don't worry about the long rambling. a lot of us do it on our questions. I think that you should ask around and find a good hair dresser that your freinds like.

I've had friends cut it in the past, but that was in high school and now for some reason they are too scared to do it. I think it is because my mom had a fit once, haha. I could ask my friends, that's a good idea. I used to go to a cheapie place years ago and never had any huge issues, but I've heard horror stories about those places and I know they're hit-or-miss.

That's a good idea, I'll try that. Thanks!

Your welcome

Most Helpful Girl

• Hair is an accessory. I cut my hair 2 months ago, and I don't regret it at all. It will grow back. I cut my hair, because I wanted to start over, and be natural. I cut it super short, but it suits me. I'm a very versatile woman when it comes to hairstyles. I can rock short, med., and long do's.

You're right, it is an accessory and it will grow back. I'm afraid I wouldn't pull off a short hairstyle well at all in the event that it got messed up and had to be cut short or the person cutting it cut it way too short. I'm not an entirely confident person unfortunately and I like to have some hair to hide behind too.

I totally understand. When I first cut mine off I was a bit skeptical/worried. I'm not so confident either, and so I totally get you. It's totally okay. I don't regret it at all, but then again everyone is different.

I think my fear of regretting it is most likely my fear of change and trying new things, because I have a feeling I'll more than likely be glad I did it in the long run, especially since it will get rid of the dead ends. It's just getting past the fear of regret that is hard.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 4

• It's only hair. It grows back.

That's very true. I just tend to use mine as a bit of a security blanket, so I'm scared of it being cut too short.

Then you only have to wait a few months for it to grow back, no big deal :)

True. Thanks!

• I just cut 23" of my hair off, I regret nothing.

Wow, that's a lot!

• lol I don t have the patience to read all of that

just show me a selfie so I can tell if it fits you

Sorry about the length, I tend to do that. I am a very descriptive person, but I can't keep anything short for the life of me!

Haha no worries

• I wouldn't cut it if I were you. In fact, I will never cut it again because every time I do, I end up regretting it.

That's what I'm afraid of. I don't know if I should at least get the dead ends cut off though, because they're starting to look awful.

You should trim the dead ends off. It makes your hair look healthier.

I definitely want that. The ends are looking sad, thin, and brittle right now. I'm trying to increase the overall health of my hair as well, which is why I haven't just dyed over the funky unintentional ombre look I have going on right now. It isn't hugely noticeable, which is good.