What do you think of this statement "nudity empowers some women"?

I mean when some female celebrities and feminists post naked pics of themselves and bring up the word "empowerment"

• It is stupidity
  • I agree with it

Most Helpful Girl

• Haha, what it says to me is "I'm going to give guys exactly what they want without any effort on their part, and without anything in return!"

Sorry boys, you gotta earn my nudes 💋💋💋

So the female body is nothing but a sexual reward for men? That's sad, you should think higher of yourself.

@ShaeNielson
      ? :/

I didn't mean it like that. It's like, it's just a guy has to prove he's worth it, cuz why would I let him have intimate things when he hasn't shown he cares?

I don't know, it's just a body and it shouldn't be something that could potentially be used against you (leaked nudes, slut shaming, etc)

Most Helpful Guy

• It says poor things about the women. It's basically saying "I don't have enough brains to feel empowered, so here's my boobs".

What Girls Said 12

• Nudity makes you vulnerable. I don't get how women feel they're empowering themselves by taking naked pics when all it does is expose them to criticism and perverts.

• Honestly I don't see how it's empowering. I have nightmares of being naked in public, I'm pretty sure it makes me feel vulnerable more than empowered...

• It's dumb

• Yet once they think or find out someone is using their pictures for jacking off they're going to be pissed.

Yes especially if their son does that.

Nope. They know that is likely to happen, so either they do not care, or they actually enjoy the thought. No reason to be pissed.

• It's stupid.

• Better they post their own nude pic than have a paparazzi print one without their approval.

• I agree with it because you included the word some which means most of us aren't for it. I certainly don't find it empowering.

• You shouldn't need to take all your clothes off to feel empowered.
    Although sometimes it makes women feel more comfortable and sexy with themselves it's not the nudity, it's being bare and accepting yourself as you are with all your imperfections. Still, being naked alone I don't think makes women feel empowered in general.

• Such a thinking does not portray "empowerment of feminism", it's self projection-- projection of nudity and so-called openness.

• Some people are proud of their bodies and want to show them off on their own terms. 'Empowerment' is definitely a buzz word that gets used too much for stuff that's actually not feminist, but I think there's a case for this. Women's bodies are often objectified, used to sell things, etc. Someone taking back that control an choosing to show her own body could therefore be considered empowering because it's going against the gender role ascribed for them to be attractive but cover themselves enough so's not to appear 'slutty'.

Don't you think those women make their bodies more objectified by showing them off.

No because it's them as a person expressing themself i a particular way. It's them making a choice to share how they look, rather than someone else deciding their body is for others' consumption (in a product way, not a vore way :') ). Contrast reactions' to celebrities nudes being leaked with celebrities posting naked photos willingly. People will be quick to want to see the nudes and find them sexy to look at, but then shame photos shared deliberately by the woman they depict. The difference is consent: in the latter case the person whose body it is is in control. For some women, therefore, it is a statement against people who only find them sexy when they are not consenting to being viewed that way. Against body shaming and policing (women having tabloids snap pictures of them without permission and criticise how they look, the entitlement some people tend to feel to tell women how they could look more attractive).

Against the idea that nudity is inherently sexual, also; they might just purely be proud of their body for how it looks, and/or want to show solidarity with people struggling with body image. In addition against the idea that female sexuality is shameful: against slut shaming.

• I don't see nudity necessarily as shameful and disagree with the premise that the female body is something you only use to make men excited and get things from them - as many female posters suggest. But I don't find it particularly empowering, either. Empowerment, to me, is about achievement not taking selfies.

• Feminism is dumb.

What Guys Said 14

• If they want to be think of it as empoweing then I dont care. I am just happy I got to see them naked :p

Well some of them anyways. Like I don't really want to see Amy Schumer or Leena Dunham naked 🙈

• I think it's stupid.

• For the 2% who have good intentions about body awareness etc I applaud , for the rest I call BS, fame whoring or attention seeking - You can be just as sexy in a arty pose and cover all your bits.

• It's all nonsense

• it can actually empower anyone and it feels very liberating to be a nudist. its great for your self confidence.

• For a woman to pose for nude photos shows, and/or can build self confidence and self esteem.

• I mean if girls wanna be naked sure. But they better not get in an uproar when guys look at them weirdly or stare. Now that would be funny.

• It's stupid but it work cause if your self worth comes from body shaming then I can understand why people complimenting your naked body will give you self confidence

• Its true. Men have masculinity, women have sexuality.

• I'm not arrogant enough to be able to say what empowers anyone... so I'll take them at their word.

• I agree with it

• The celebrities want attention so it feels like empowerment. What power have they really gained I don't know other than attention. There are a million women who have nudes out on the internet, no power though, just one of many.

• "Empowering " NO... publicity YES!!! Those celebrities just want to stay relevant.