Why do I look so cute in mirror, but ugly in pics?

I mean... In mirror, my nose looks pretty small and my hair looks good... Um, I look cute. But when someone takes a picture of me... I just look so ugly. My nose looks big, my mouth looks big too, my hair looks gray brown and so damn flat on my head, even though it's blonde and it looks like lion mane sometimes. And I know that it's lighting, angles and etc. but still... I feel ugly. And do in different lighting I look both bad to the camera and to the people? I mean, with bad lighting.
ok if you read this I love you. Please answer.

Most Helpful Guy

• The problem is twofold:
    While cameras have improved a great deal in the last 50 years, camera lenses have stayed mostly the same.. The lens of the camera, in trying to capture the entirety of what it's aimed at while still remaining relatively small compared to a mirror, has a wide-angle lens which makes everything in the center and closer to the camera appear larger. This is why your nose looks huge. This effect will be ever worse if the camera is a cell phone.

Secondly, the mirror reverses the image, while most cameras do not. There are subtle inconsistencies in your image when reversed. Even though the camera is actually more accurately representing your actual appearance by not reversing the image, the image of yourself that you have in your mind is based off of what you typically see in the mirror. Even if you don't consciously spot these differences, the non-reversed image of the camera will feel more "unfamiliar" than the mental self-image you have from years of looking at yourself in the mirror.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not everyone is photogenic and that's all. Some people are not very attractive in real live but look good in photos like some models for example. And some are nice but look bad in pics. But a lot depends on the quality of your camera, lighting etc. It's good to take selfies in your case, because if you've got front camera you see what you look like and you can try out many positions and find a place with perfect lighting.

I know that it's true. Thank you

You're welcome :) I am not very photogenic when somebody takes a picture but when I take a selfie I feel much more satisfied with my looks. Or if someone takes pictures of me with a really good and expensive camera I look like in real life. I have pictures from professional photoshoot by photographer and they are really nice. But from bad camera and bad phone when someone takes a picture I don't like it.

Same for me.

What Guys Said 7

• I think that affects most people - I think people just think the worst of their pictures and are often their own harshest critic - I bet you look good in a lot of pics

• Because when you see a pic it's seeing yourself as if you are another person. In the mirror is just a reflection. It's purely psychological. I'm actually the opposite.. When I look in a mirror it's ugh, but when I'm in a picture i think hey not bad! Oh yeah i read and answered so you better love me :P just kidding.

• It happens. Some people look better in person than in photos. Some people look better in photos than in person xD It's just the way we are.

P. S. You can try certain facial expressions (pouting & such, you know what girls do) to see if it gets better.

• It happens to a lot of people. Better to get pics taken outside or have at least two light sources from opposing angles on your face when taken indoors.

• because in the mirror it is through YOUR completely biased eye... but in a camera it is Objective and UN-Biased ;)

• that happens to most of the people, so dont worry

I know. But I just want to know, why... Thank you anyways!

honestly i dont know why too, sometimes it happens to me too.
      And no prob.!

• you know it actually happens a lot

What Girls Said 4

• Ah yes. Have the same problemo. Not photogenic. So I don't take pics.

• Have you ever seen something really pretty and though omg I need to take a pic. But when you take the pic it basically looks like a piece of shit.

• Some people just have that issue.

• I am the same. My eyes look like different sizes and my mouth looks side ways sometimes. It happens to a lot of people don't worry I'm sure you're still beautiful