Why isn't it acceptable for men use makeup to look good?

Actors do it all the time and it works very well for them.

2mo apparently this got selected

Most Helpful Girl

• I consider it acceptable if they use a little.

Most Helpful Guy

• Look at this 5m:56s in: it depicts newscasters without makeup (not well, though). You can see the flaws on both of the actors' faces, and in particular, you can see the "5 o'clock shadow" of the guy's beard - something you aren't used to seeing on clean-shaven people on TV.

In real newsroom situations, with ultra-bright studio lights, the effect would be even more noticeable (the movie clip was from Tim Burton's Batman, which was a dark movie).

So, yeah, under camera lights, where the lights are bright enough to penetrate several layers of skin and reveal every flaw, makeup is a necessity just to look "normal."

But in the real world, where most of us aren't under studio lighting, it isn't necessary or even wanted.

What Girls Said 14

• A lot of executives and CEO's wear makeup. More than you'd think. Mostly they wear it to even out their skin tone and to cover up scars and blemishes because they think they have to look perfect because of their position in the company. I have a friend who is a makeup consultant for men.

Mostly it's concealers and foundation, maybe some powder. They don't wear eyeliner, mascara, eye shadow, blush or lipstick like we do.

• Why isn't it acceptable for men use makeup to look good?
    Likely patriarchal/traditional/conservative gender roles dictating makeup and caring about your appearance in general to the extent you actively put effort in it is a girly/feminine thing and of course feminine is seen as weaker/lesser/inferior/sissy.

• I've seen several men wear makeup. I have no problem with it. I think it's more society in general not being accepting. When I was in college there was a guy who would wear make up daily and also skirts and carry purses. But he was incredibly talented with makeup and very stylish.

It's very unfortunate that some in society are not accepting of people who are just expressing themselves. So what if a guy wears eyeliner or contours? It's not hurting anyone.

• I actually know a lot of guys who use foundation or concealer & eyebrow pencils lololol and no, they're not all gay and it's totally fine

• Because makeup makes people look more feminine and beautiful. Men aren't supposed to be feminine and beautiful.

Film makeup is different. It's essentially invisible and just there to keep the camera and lightening from flattening their features.

so they just naturally look like that?

@redeyemindtricks on underwear, no it's pretty cheap on ebay. some are expensive, like i recall these multi-net thigh highs i bought several of, they were like $20/each. But on underwear, I frequently bought huge lots... for very cheap, likely closer to $2/thong whatever it was.

my personal favorite on underwear for women is slingshot thong (goes over shoulders... mmmmm)

@redeyemindtricks it was rarely cluttered, like i said i had a shit load of labeled see through drawers (those plastic drawer sets at walmart...) perfect for lingerie. I dress her, then I undress her (both during and after it's over for the remaining stuff) and then I put everything away or in the bag to be washed, etc... and then the closet got shut up til next time, etc... the whole room was basically designed for sex in that case-stripper pole, black lights, disco ball, it was better than shit you see at deja vu lol

• Actors do it because they need to have more color on camera. In real life there's really no point for that. Men haven't used make up and it's considered a female thing so just don't try it because it's stupid.

bullshit. some men don't really care about your fears or monopolies and we wear what we want... and women do like it when a man takes care of his appearance, including concealer etc

• its not?
    My brother wears makeup.
    Do what you want but when you start looking like a transgender woman. Im going to have a problem

• If you think makeup is okay then it is okay. But if you think you need to make yourself "look good" is it for you or for others? think about it. You most likely don't need it. I'm a girl and hate wearing make-up although I need it. Make-up only enhances, it can't create beauty. You're great the way you are.

• I think men should wear makeup too

• Who says it isn't acceptable?
    It depends on person to person
    Of you wanna, go ahead
    I personally prefer the raw rustic look
    I myself don't apply makeup, just an eye liner when I go out
    Besides actors do it for the camera and based on the lighting during shoots

Answer mine too please?
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2135921-boyfriend-left-town-didn-t-tell-me

• it's acceptable as long as nobody can notice it

• I wouldn't mind it as long as he doesn't look like a woman

• Oh well...

• Because it's been gendered as feminine

What Guys Said 18

• It's acceptable and some men do wear it. Why makeup is most often used by women has to do with history and health. And of course society came into play after that. Do some research if you're interested.

"and health"?
      I know they used lead based makeup in tudor times is that what you mean by "and health"?

I remember reading something about different types of makeup used for skin moisture, better skin cells, and antioxidants. I don't remember the details.

• It is not the current fashion anymore. For a very long time, since before ancient Egypt, men did infact wear make up. It was for many as a source to show off wealth while others put it on before battle. Aristocrats such as the French and Georgian era England used a lot of make up to show off status. It wasn't until cinema came in that make up use in men had became something of a taboo. Make up now has been entrenched in our culture to be more for women to be accepted with it.

• I don't know that's a good question.

• I guess hair products count as a kind of makeup? I get your point though although i don't think most women mind lol.

• Sexist double standards.

• I don't mind guys wearing make up

• It's feminine as fuck. I'd give any one of my friends so much shit if I caught them with makeup on lmao. Guys aren't supposed to look 'pretty'

• lol you can. you can wear conceal and shit like that. and about eye liner not every man can pull it off but its possible to pull it off.

• Pfft. Who cares if it isn't acceptable. If it makes you feel better about yourself, go for it. If your friends have a problem with it, they're not true friends.

• Because people nowadays call it too feminine for a guy to do. but look at the suicide squad Joker! All the females think he's hot

• Man wearing make ups? Ha ha ha.

• Because men who use makeup are gay. End of story, next question.

• Probably because makeup is feminine.

• It's feminine I guess?

• It is totally acceptable! You just have to be in an awesome rock, metal or punk band!!!

• Isn't it kind of weird? What exactly would this enhance and wouldn't girls notice right away?

Make my hairline look thicker and maybe thicken a patchy bit in my eyebrows.
      possibly hide the patches under my eyes i get when im tired?
      Im not sure what else might work?

• actually, newscasters will, and i do believe male models will

• Guys and girls look stupid similar if neither wears gendered cloths or make up and has similar hair when we moved from caves to civilization it got awkward cuz it was hard to tell each other apart apart from voice. Added to that women didn't wanna get pegged as a woman back then because no laws instantly rapped if your a woman. Years later religion comes around sets all these standards and laws homosexuality is pegged as going strait to hell so women now freerish to be women now start to do things to exaggerate the female form make up cloths etc. gay men start doing that anything associated as gay is seen as demonic and there you have it. Make up is bad on guys because A It was originally meant to exaggerate femininity something modern men still have a problem with identifying with. And b because the first dudes to use it where gay which was like equivalent to murder back then and stigmas like that stick till people realize why they're there to start with.