Can hair texture change easily?

I used to have bouncy and wavy hair from my childhood till the age of 12. After 12 my hair texture took a complete 360 turn. The waves somehow turned into tighter curls and my hair became coarse and frizzy. Now when I turned 22 my hair turned smooth and gained back the wavy texture. Why does it happen?

1mo Wow! This question has been selected as a great question by g@g. I feel honoured. Thanks g@g 😄

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. Once my hair grew loosely. Today I grow pointy hair.

Most Helpful Girl

• My hair texture changes completely depending on the weather and humidity and saltiness in the air.
    For instance in cold and very dry climates my hair becomes very smooth but utterly FLAT and electric which makes it stick to my face, and if Im in a changing room at a store my hair will become like this:
    2.bp.blogspot.com/.../static+electricity+2.jpg
    I absolutely despise my hair in these weather conditions, for well obvious reasons.

Then my hair turns to its natural state in mild temperature and mild humidity which is wavy, with slightly more volume to itself.

Then in very humid weather, and rainy weather especially my hair curls up a lot and becomes very voluminous.

My hair is the most curly though with tight curls when there is salt in the air, like when Im in places near a sea or ocean. The texture changes COMPLETELY.
    So yeah when I go on holidays somewhere my hair just goes on holiday too lol. But also changes by the seasons as well though.

What Guys Said 1

• Yes, I think hair texture keeps changing throughout your lifetime. How much it can change that can't be said for sure.

What Girls Said 19

• This has to do with your hair follicles changing there is no real way to determine what caused it to change. However that is what has happened.

Some possible factors that could cause it to change could be:

Hair products that you have introduced to your hair care routine.

A change in your diet

Also some kind of naturally occurring changes in your body could have caused the changes in your hair.

I attempted to post a link that explains the scientific occurrence of this change however the site won't let me since I'm still new. I can pm you the link to it if you'd like though.

• because of your changes that occurred in your body, and ya it happens because that after 12 it was the time of your teens-periods, mental stress. these can lead your bodies giving an abrupt change so ya,,, now your teens have gone and so ya,, you have back your wavy texture..

• Yup cause it's all about hormones in your body. Plus stress. Stress can literally do anything including changing the hormones in your hair. Stress is like cancer if you think about it in my way.

Anyways I looked at your picture and you look STUNNING and I still think your hair is perfectly bouncing and wavy

• It happens so much to me. As a child it was more loose crimpy (no real defined curls), then it got very curly. Now it's long and it's winter so it's more dry and more wavy the curly. I'll wash my hair, then after a day or so, the curls have fallen out. I think it's just due to hormones, length, how you manage it (do you flat iron the curls out every day? apply oils?) weather, and maybe diet.

• I used to have naturally straight hair now I naturally have really curly hair. I don't know why hair does this but it's normal. Lol.

• I think yes
    My hair used to be almost straight with slight waves, till I was 13-14
    After that it became more wavy and slightly frizzy.
    But then I was on meds for long time. Probably it was because of that.

• My hair use to be very tight coiled curls to. It's now curly but loose curls. I don't mind it, I actually like it better this way.

• Yes hair changes because of the environment you're in, the sun can also ruin your hair texture making it coarse (for some people).

• Yes, my hair texture has changed over the years. I used to have soft, silky hair and now my hair looks kinda dry from over-shampooing and weather

• hormones and diet can affect hair texture and thickness

• My hair use to be coarse and curly and very thick! Now it is smooth and almost limp but my hair still curls into soft ringlets.

• yup, it happens (i used to have straight, smooth hair as a child and now i look like a character straight outta the lion king)

(my japanese teacher used to have black hair as a child and it just... turned yellow once she grew up (she was half Asian half American or something)

• Yeah it happens. My hair used to be straight and smooth then went to thick and a little fuzzy and now it's wavy, kinda frizzy, and smooth. I would prefer the first one.

• My hair has stayed the same.

• Yeah based on your diet and health.

• Maybe teeneger hormone? A bit like acne come then go away when your 20

• Loads of people's hair changes in puberty and never goes back, so so so many people have their hair change during pregnancy and never go back. Some people lost their curls entirely and some get more curly.

• Umm, did you use to straighten your hair a lot in the past? Because something similar happened to my cousin.

• Who cares! You are still smoking hotttt 😎

Aww thank you dear :)

Seriously, you have beautiful cheek bones and eyes. Your hair is beautiful, love!

Thank you love ❤