Why don't people ever ask what guys are wearing/wore to events like Prom?

I only ever see girls get asked what they're wearing. Why not men?

1mo Why don't people care?

Most Helpful Girl

• im always asking my guy frie ds what they are wearing when they do something important... so i dont know why people dont

guy "friends"? What are you, 5?

anyhow, my point remains. im always interested in what my friends are wearing, regardless of gender, and i dont see why people would only care about female clothing choices.

Well said Reflect, the operative word (in case Asker can't figure it out :-) ) is PEOPLE.

Caring, for what ever reason floats one's boat, as you clearly imply is not gender specific. Because it's clothing, they are still quit a few people who choose to put that in the female box. It's just another one of those stereotypes perpetuated largely by people who choose to stay closed minded and are afraid to change with the times. So girl, thanks so much for standing up and not being one of them.

What Girls Said 11

• To be honest with you, girls clothing is much more interesting, lots of variation in just about every article of clothing and accessory you can think of. Oh yea, then there's makeup! Just walk into any major department store and look at the clothing sections, the women's section is generally 2-3x the size of the men's. Men wear pants, shirts, jackets and ties. Also, be it society or the female gender, women as a group tend to be more focused on beauty, style, etc.. Hope that give you greater insight.

• I reckon guys do ask & care... but won't ask their friends (or immediate peer group (s)). Probably mosy will ask "What do you think" questions to family like mum & dad. Otherwise do research in mens mags or the internet!

If I'm going to a party with a group of girls, I wouldn't want to turn up wearing the same outfit as another. That's the only reason why I'd be talking about it.

Why is it so bad to look the same?

• Because they most of the time wear boring suits so it's not like the answer is gonna be anything special or interesting lol

• Because they're always just wearing some suit, it's not very exiting.

That's kind of sexist when you think about it.

What did you mean

What I said, people only care if they look good or if they don't, they don't care which brand your suit is.

• i ask

• because i think the guys are more concerned about what happens after prom... ya meen

• They usually just ask what color he is wearing.

• Maybe because a girl has more options.

• Well most assume a guy will wear some type of suit.

• Cuz that's sooo gay. That's what guys think.

• Because women are taught from a young age that their looks give them value. Which is wrong, but that is why women on the red carpet are doing #ASKHERMORE.

Honestly, people saying most guys wear boring suits. But there are plenty of fashionable guys out there.

Is that what you thought in high school? I didn't. I was always taught to take pride in my appearance, say a good word when you can and to be the best girl/woman I could be. My brothers were also taught the same concept as a boy/man.

I asked other girls because I was genuinely curious, usually looking for new ideas or something was cool looking. If I really liked it, I passed on a positive word.

True, guys have more fashionable clothing then ever, but personally I could never keep track of all the women's styles, etc., so if I can learn something and make someone feel good at the same time, it's a win-win.

Sounds like you went through that alone w/apparently no one to turn to for guidance. I feel bad, must have been quite a tumultuous time for you. Our backgrounds are actually quite similar in many ways. I didn't come from $$ (dad was a school teacher & mom worked retail to make ends meet) & I had kids in my classes who were jerks as well. Where we differ a little is that I didn't care what the jerks said. The friends I had were my friends and that was fine by me and I fit in with who I fit in with. Why in the world would I want to look how others think I should and not be myself? Heck with them, their loss, not mine.
      One other thing I did make a point of doing is that whatever I wore, it was neat, clean and wrinkle free. My grandfather was a tailor & he taught that expensive clothes may be nice & all, but you get a better idea of a person by how they wear what they wear & not by the cost of what they wear.
      I'm willing to bet those kids in your high school & mine are still jerks today.

You sound like a really nice person and you have your head on straight. The best weapon you have is to just be proud of who you are. Do that and there are no amount of barbs that can pierce your armor. Girl, that will tick them off even more because you know their game and that is extremely frustrating to them.

If you want to talk more about it off line, please feel free to IM me. I'm a very good listener.

Stay strong!

What Guys Said 10

• I got asked what I was wearing to prom, but only because people know I like to make a spectacle of myself. For my junior prom, for which the theme was "A night on the water," I wore a captain's hat. Senior prom was fairy tale themed, so naturally, I wore a white dinner jacket, and carried a cane.

The answer to your question is, people will ask the people they think will have fun answering. Generally that means girls.

Why?

Your*

In general it's girls that care about what they're wearing, so they're much more likely to want to talk about it. If you ask most guys what they're wearing to prom, they'd likely say something along the lines of, "Uh, a tux..."

• Nothing to stop a guy asking

• Because in general girls care more about prom and besides guys wear a suit, girls can wear many different things.

Is this some lame way to make some gender war.

Yes, that's what I came on here to do. Create another gender war. You got it -_-

• Because none at that age cares about suits, for some, suits are just for rich sick people that they love to hate. So you had a suit or a tuxedo.
    I grew up wearing suits, so what kinda of suit did you had?

• Because nobody cares about a guy wears.

• guys dont giva a fook... we sort the car

its just not important in the grand scheme of things is it?

• Because they already know you're generally wearing a suit or tux.

• Because it really doesn't matter. Guys are typically wearing some variety of tux. Girl's dresses are very different from one another. Plus, guys don't give a flip about what other guys are wearing. They want to know how hot that guy's date is. Similarly girls, don't care what the guys are wearing. They want to compare themselves to the other girls.

• Because men are supposed to look powerful, and women are supposed to look pretty. That's generally accomplished by men wearing what is effectively a uniform that conveys authority and being part of the establishment. It should be well cut and make him look good, but shouldn't draw attention to itself. By contrast women are expected to be lovely to look at, so their dresses are meant to be unique and eye catching.

Interesting take on this

• So.. BRO. What did you wear?