Good prom hairstyle ideas for down, or half up/half down? Tips for contouring?

I hate having my hair up when i leave my house. I just need some ideas. I've got curly asf hair and its thick so that might be a factor.

Also, I recently bought a contour kit. Any tips at all? I've watched a lot of how to videos but I don't know 😂

Most Helpful Guy

• I love long curly hair on a girl. Leave it down, curl it, glitter it and you'll be the perfect girl to be seen at prom! Any guy would fall head over heels to see you that way!

Most Helpful Girl

• Are you gonna do your own hair? I suggest checking out all the hairstyle tutorials you like on youtube and practicing them a few times beforehand. If you go to the hair dresser, usually they have a booklet you can look through, or you can even bring in photos.
    As for the makeup, goddamn it I can actually contour (even though I'm too lazy to wear makeup most of the time) but I can't explain it for shits, guess I"ll just have to fly over and do it for you and @rainbowfangirl :P

What Guys Said 2

• I've no clue lelz sorri

• What did you did last year looked gorgeous
    Just do that again

What Girls Said 17

• For contouring I personally like to apply the darker colours first (on top of foundation ofc) just along the nose, jaw and cheekbones. I blend all of that in so that if it looks messy i can make up for that with the brighter shades. Although if you have a glittery highlighter I recommend not doing it on places other than your cheekbones and browbones.

by the way, I also have curly af hair. It's very frizzy and thick and there's just lots of it. I like to airdry it and use straightener on the ends and then use a curling iron on all of the hair. Makes it look a bit more hollywood you know.

• Get a pinterest and look on there, heaps of good ideas. As for contouring, couple shades darker than your skin tone, blend blend blend (blend up not down), practice before hand a few times and use a little product at a time.

P. s. yes I know I have really harsh contour in my picture it's just how I like to wear it some times.

• what ever you do don't straighten your hair, because that's what I did and half way through the night it sorted to curl and just looked awful. Honestly just leave it down, but I suppose if you want it out your face and to look a bit differernt you can get the front pinned back or something.
    Also, with the contouring just practice... Don't use too dark colours... don't over highlight because otherwise you'll look like an alien...

• I've got pretty thick curly hair too. An updo that's always nice is a classic/messy bun. Yes, even for prom, if you know how to do it. You could also do something like a top knot, or the ariana ponytail thing, maybe even straighten your hair? I don't know if you want that.

For the contouring, I'd say get practising! Grab your supplies and just go. You'll learn along the way. Make sure to pause sometimes and view your work so far.

• Here is a guide for contouring. Make sure to blend, blend, blend!
    cdn.instructables.com/.../...RHIFGNVFL0.MEDIUM.jpg
    A pure chocolate brown contour shade works better than one with an orange undertone. You want to avoid the muddy look. Make you go 3 shades darker than your skin tone when you contour and 3 shades lighter than your skin tone when you highlight. I also recommend to not opt for a cream contour, it's so much easier and less work to use powder product. You should use highlighter on the cheekbones too , it adds such a beautiful difference.
    When it comes to hair ideas for prom, you can never go wrong with classic curly/wavy hairstyles that girls usually have on special occasion. Hairstyles like polished looking curls, aka romantic curls and Hollywood waves. Large glossy curls or waves never go out of style and you can easily achieve the look with a large curling iron.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h_CRsw1wWU

• Wear it down. Straighten it if you can. I like curly hair just not for prom. Contouring put the darkest shade on the top sides of your forhead and put the 2nd darkest slightly below your cheek bones and bring it only by the sides of your face ( so about half way across your cheek) . Dont connect them. Put the darkest shade slightly on the sides of the top bridge of your nose and drag it down to make a narrow U under the tip of your nose. Put concealer or a lighter foundation under the eyes, on the brow bone, the eye lid, on the sides of your nose, near the tear ducts, the space between the brows, and draw a line down the top of your nose. Then blend all of that. If you have highlight or a shimmery eyeshadow put it on your cheek bones. Just a little.

• You could do a waterfall braid.

• Here is some hairspiration

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3R-WYyh8QBY

• Do urself a favor, & Get a professional (gay) opinion.
    Or ask a couple stylish gays to weigh in. Don't ask them "up or down" ... ask them: "what would be the fiercest and most flattering" ... then whatever the consensus is, just go with it. Don't over-think it, just trust in their ability to make it fabulous.

• 0|0
  • As well as contouring your nose you can contour your head. Put the darkest shade on your hairline, you choose the thickness. Maybe a couple of centimetres, then blend it. Take a highlighter and add it to your fod lol

• Bruh prom is not even close hahaha

• you look pretty

• I'm going to homecoming too and unfortunately I know nothing about makeup. :/

• Have you checked YouTube videos? Michelle Phan?

• Sorry I'm zero help. I just cake on foundation and don't do contouring.
    And hair well... You've seen my hair... I have no idea what I'm doing