If you are passionate about your personal style, should you change it for a job?

Let's say your style is not compatible with a job you went to school for and that you really really want. When you've tried to go in, as you, you know you've been outright rejected because of the way you look, or your hair, or your fashion choices. Do you think that, that person should change their look to suit the needs of the job they are after, or just keep trying to find someone who may accept them, even if it means they are unemployed forever or never employed in the field of their choice?

• Ditch their pride, change their look, they can always "be them" on the weekends
  • Be 100% true to themselves, even if it means, never getting their dream job

Most Helpful Guy

• Is there a middle ground where you can adapt to your work environment while maintaining your personal style as well?

Part of me says be 100% true to yourself and don't change to please other people, but the other part of me knows that it is possible to do both.

At the beginning of a career, you will probably have to conform to what is expected of you as far as appearance. Once you are established, have a solid reputation, THEN it's easier to "be yourself".

What specifically is your situation? What style do you want to maintain and what kind of career is it that you are trying to get in to?

It's actually not about me, just a question I was thinking about after watching a news segment about a guy who was heavily covered in tattoos stating that he had been rejected so much for looking like he looked, but felt that shouldn't be the thing that prevented people from hiring him. He was a chef and people didn't want to hire him because he would intimidate or scare the guests off or the people he wanted to work for, didn't take him seriously according to the interview. I've never had to change my style, hair, or otherwise for a job.

Most Helpful Girl

• If you have to change too much of who you are for your job, you probably won't be there for the long term. I'm fortunate to work for a company that encourages diversity (not just color or gender) and realizes the worker isn't just a person performing tasks for the hours they are paying them.
    There are more and more companies like that today than there used to be who feel this way.

Look around, do your research.

There's a company or companies out there where you can be more yourself.

Be strong... stay strong!

What Guys Said 7

• How you dress for your job, is for your job. People really don't argue that. Unless you work at a clothing store selling clothes you hate, people know that's not how you dress, business attire, polos, khaki pants. We are all in the same boat. Unless you really are trying to make a statement, then work in your favorite clothing store, or local shop without a corporate mandated dress code

• The short answer is yes.

Your employer doesn't give two shits about what you think your special snowflake style is. You go to work, fit in, get your shit done... Then you can go off and be who and how ever you want. If your "dream job" was that much of a dream, you wouldn't do things to prevent yourself from getting it.

• Fuck society, society always wants people to be drones and do as they are told. Is there any way you can go on your own and create a business?

Funny you should ask, but I actually do run my own business, though it has nothing to do with my style. I'll repeat what I said to the other poster, which was I was thinking about this after watching a news segment about a guy who was heavily covered in tattoos stating that he had been rejected so much for looking like he looked, but felt that shouldn't be the thing that prevented people from hiring him. He was a chef and people didn't want to hire him because he would intimidate or scare the guests off or the people he wanted to work for, didn't take him seriously according to the interview. I've never had to change my style, hair, or otherwise for a job.

• I am afraid a lot of people pick A to pay the bills.

• my style is casual mountain biking clothes most the time but im an engineer and welder so at work i have to wear overalls and big boots. its not me but its work and that pays for me to have a great life so do the maths

• My job is my life style. My life style is my job, am a chef.
    Have anyone told you that your look is inappropriate?

• If you have bills to pay you can't be worrying about your style lol.

What Girls Said 7

• The work force is very competitive. Don't make something as petty as your own personal look be the deciding factor against you getting the job. Use the weekends to breakout and Once you've made it in your chosen career you can start bringing out your individuality again.

• We all do and... consider the military change first day out
    besides, this changes throughout the years anyway, it's not a uniform

• I have met doctors with blue hair and piercings all over their faces. Saying you can't find work because of the way you look is a cop-out. Someone who says that just plain doesn't want to work.

• It depends on if you love the job or not. If you don't like it AND have to change your outward personality then I'd look for something else.
    If you love the work then have to suck it up

• Job> style
    I would change my style. As long as it doesn't go against my principles and values.

• I don't ever want a job where I have to directly deal with customers so I think my work place would be quite accepting of my personal style.

• Hmm.

Honestly, if the change was respectful, yes I think it's okay.

I mean we wear office clothes to work for a reason. It's just the dress code there. Even if someone hated office clothes they have to adhere to it.

It sucks but I guess that's life.