How to deal with a dry hair?

My hair has became so dry these last days and it drives me crazy. Do you have some natural remedies or oils I can apply on my hair everyday or before shower?

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 22

• I sure do.
    When I was younger my aunt dyed my hair red for the first time. RED!! Haha.

Anyways, I did not like it so I had to bleach my hair and dye it to get it back to my natural blonde.

A hair dying addiction began...

I've been every shade of blonde, brunette, and even black. That is a lot of bleaching.

My hair eventually was so damaged that it got really thin. And it felt like straw.
    So I started to research to find what would work for damaged hair.

One thing was shampooing. Are you aware that shampoo is a big reason to damaged hair and thinning?
    So, I started trying things that'll work. And here is what it is.

DON'T- Shower with hot water, hot water is actually very damaging for not only hair but skin as well.
    Water should be slightly warm.

DON'T- Switch from one temperature to another. Always stick at one which should (Like I said) be slightly warm.

DON'T- Shampoo your hair daily. Shampooing strips the natural oil from our scalp which helps protect it and keep it moisturized.
    Realistically, you should only be shampooing once a week.

DO- Use conditioner. Instead of shampoo, use conditioner to when you want to wash your hair. It doesn't strip your natural oils but it does clean your hair. But, make sure you rinse your hair VERY well. Or it will weight your hair down and make it feel unwashed.

DO- USE a dry shampoo if your hair is feeling not so fresh or weighted down. It is amazing for those no poo days.

DO- Use coconut oil. Coconut has so many amazing benefits to not only the hair but skin as well.
    Use it as a deep conditioner overnight with a cap over it to protect your pillow/bedding. You can either use the oil alone or mix it in with a deep conditioning treatment.

DO- Use natural possibly organic, SLS, Sulfate, Silicone, paraben free hair products.
    There are many that are VERY affordable.

DO- Get your hair trimmed to get rid of all of the split ends because if you don't, the split ends will keep working thier way up and cause more damage. You should be getting it trimmed slightly once a month until your hair recovers.

Also, try to limit styling products and heat (Blow drying, straightening, curling).

And, make sure you're taking a multi vitamin daily and drinking AT LEAST 3 liters of water per day and are eating healthy. Try to limit junk as much as possible.

Do all of this, and you will start to see great results.
    But don't expect it right away.
    Hair will always take some time to get back to its natural gloriou

• I suggest doing a coconut oil mask about once a month or every two weeks depending on how dry your hair is. I do that for mine about once every two months since my hair is naturally quite oily but, it leave my hair super shiny and super soft.

There are also sprays and serums you can put in after you wash your hair to help seal in moisture. I use a coconut spray by OGX. You can find it at target or Walmart for under $6. It's really light but, don't put too much or your hair will look too oily. I can literally tell when I forget to put it in because my hair will look crinkly and not smooth at all.

• -Absolutely do not use heat on your hair, no flattening irons, no curling irons, try not to even blow dry your hair, I mean if you set it on cold, i guess.. but air drying is way better
    -Before you take a shower, use coconut oil in your hair and leave it in for 1-5 hours, or however long you'd like, you should do this at least once a week. (but you don't need it on your roots, just mid hair and on the ends)
    -Wash your hair less frequently, only 2-3 times a week.
    -Other than coconut oil, castor oil, organ oil, jojoba oil are also all good for your hair.
    -When you do wash your hair, try to set the water temperature to cooler, or at least pin your hair up when you're washing your body if you wish to use hot water.
    -A few tips for frizzy hair is to a. sleep with a satin pillow case so that your hair does not frizz like it would on a cotton pillow case, b. after you're done with your shower quickly rinse your hair under cold water, your hair kind of has pores like your face, so when you use warm water to shower and get the conditioner in your hair, you use cold water to close those powers and keep the moisture locked in, c. do not towel dry hair, you can pat your hair with your towel, but do not rub, what also works is using a t-shirt to dry hair, but still don't rub hair.

• Here are tips that work for me.
    1) Don't shampoo your hair every day. Depending on your hair texture, once every 2-3 or even 5 days may be enough.
    2) Deep condition once a week. Home products: egg yolk, mayonnaise, avocado, honey (may lighten hair), and coconut oil or olive oil.
    3) If your hair can handle it, a leave in conditioner or oil would be good to protect your hair from the cold winter winds.
    4) Tie your hair up or braid it at night. The friction against your cotton pillow sheets can further dry out hair. Silk and other fabrics with slip will reduce friction.

• Coconut oil. Leave in conditioner. Do not wash your hair every day. When you wash your hair, get a hot oil treatment and olive oil shampoo. If you have to wash your hair use conditioner instead of shampoo

• I just mash avocado and rub it in my ends. Then shower after at least 30 minutes.

• Avocado, banana, olive oil, coconut oil, honey, egg, almond oil, jojoba oil, and argon oil. Mix all the ingredients very well at once. To get results apply this hair mask at least once a week. You should be applying one of the oils I mentioned to your ends, so they could get proper nourishment, just like the human body or a plant, it needs to have good nourishment. Remember to do it only on your ends and not your roots, in order to avoid the greasy look. These are the oils that I know of that are meant for dry hair, so it's good to apply them everyday especially right before a shower. When it comes to dry hair the solutions are almost endless. Do some research, you might find out about amazing solutions.
    With that said, I also recommend getting a trim if you've got any split ends due to dryness of your hair.

• olive oil. coconut oil

• This time of year is always tougher on hair as we turn the heat on in our houses and the hmidity drops. I know its been controversial lately but I get the best results from WEN by Chaz Dean for my hair. I love it!.

• My hairdresser told me to use a mask of kerastase. Never tried it yet but it's kinda expensive.
    Try Argan oil apparently it's good!

• There's something by "bumble" that's for dry hair. Also morracan oil is even better

• There are plenty of remedies online for dry hair. You can always use a hot oil treatment or make your own hair mask.

• Coconut oil and avocados it's very hydrating and moisturizing. Try lush products.

• 20d

What do I do with an avocado? Cut it in half and rub my hair?

Not trolling, srs question lol

• 20d

I'll give it a go, my sister uses Lush, they sell their shampoo in bars don't they?

• 20d

@Cosytoasty some of them are "naked" packaging free products but not all. If you ever need help. Lol you can message me.

• I use different oils for my hair to be smooth: olive oil, almond oil, tea, in arabic they call it اكليل الجبل which i have no idea what it is in English. And i wash my hair with drinking water

• apply coconut oil, esp before shampooing your hair for 5-7 days before stopping. see if that helps

• Argan oil is better than coconut oil. Saturate your hair with it (or whatever oil you end up choosing) 15 minutes-an hour before showering like normal. Your hair will be so soft and silky after.

• argon oil works well, or I bought some indian hemp stuff that works well. Don't wash your hair every day, it strips your hair of it's natural oils. Also, if you can, towel or air dry your hair instead of blow drying it.

• Try morroco oil

• Argan oil is meant to be good

• Coconut oil works great! Just massage it into the ends of your hair, let it sit for 15 minutes or so, and be sure to wash it out all the way

• i swear by coconut oil and i have naturally curly hair and this helps a TON!

• What shampoo do you use and what is your daily method?
    Shampoo can be very drying. Some people don't wash hair every day because of this. Or they just do this thing called Co washing instead, using conditioner to wash hair (actually works, but not forever, gotta use shampoo from time to time because of build up etc) or they condition first to get that barrier, then shampoo, then condition again. The shampoo can strip our hair, that's why the conditioner first.

Winter, this happens a lot to lots of people in winter. Like how people get dry skin in winter. That's why it's probably just a recent thing.

Also, something you can do is coconut oil as others have suggested, but to be honest, nearly all oils are good for pre shampoo. If anything, just to give the shampoo something else to strip from your hair instead of all your natural oils. You can even leave them on overnight.

Hairstyles make a difference too. Having hair down in winter is more damaging than in summer sometimes.