How do you shave long childs hair?

My son if 4, and he has never had a hair cut! I feel uneasy about the idea of taking him to a hair dressers as he has beautiful hair and he can't sit still for longer then five minuets. I picked up some reasonably priced hair clippers with lots of diffrent length settings so I can have a go at doing it myself.
His hair is very long, past his sholders. He gets complements every where we go and I love how he looks but am a little afraid of what he will look like if his hair ends up too short. I was thinking of doing it all over on the longest settings but I would love some feedback!

Here is a picture of him now: How do you shave long childs hair?

What Guys Said 2

• Take him to a barber. If you're still keen on performing the cut yourself (which I highly advise against) you should just shorten the sides. Its kind of hard to see how his hair grows out in that pic but I'd personally start with a 3 at his side burns. I'm trying to imagine the kid with short hair and tbh I just can't see it.

• I'm not a expert or claim to have experience or much knowledge on subject but from what i've seen start with grade (size) 4 and start from the top.

What Girls Said 1

• Oh. My. God. What an adorable baby! He'll look cute with or without the hair, don't worry. Although the hair is gorgeous!

Maybe look up a few styles on Google and YouTube with him? There'll be tons of ideas. Then, look for a child friendly hair dressers or barbershop in your area. They'll be well trained in cutting fidgety, lively or even scared childrens hair.