How do you care for leather boots?

I've never owned a pair of leather boots before, and I am about to splash out and get a really awesome pair. I want to be able to look after these and make them last as long as possible.

I'd like to know
1. What do I need to buy, like types of oil or cleaning brushes? That kind of thing...
2. What routine should I do, like how often should I do maintanence?
3. Do's and don'ts?
4. Any other tips you can think of?

Thank you very much!

What Guys Said 5

• Well, i make sure they are well fed and have lots of love. Encourage them to express themselves and be confident.

Follow these few steps and you will have some well rounded, humble leather boots

• They are ducking sexy when girls wear them

• Never owned anything leather besides a baseball glove. Gotta oil it up and form it at first.

A Google search should help you out

• oddly enough, I used baby oil to keep them flexible, and waxed and polished them

• There is a section in Target that has all the cleaning products you will need. Pretty much just a brush to use, then polish, then brush again, and use a nylon last to give it a little extra shine.
    Just don't polish them right before you have a guy kissing them, if you do that. Make sure it has dried for a few hours at least first.

What Girls Said 6

• 1) Any shoe polish would be great, a fabric cloth and a brush. All of these can be found in a shoe polishing kit, so I would invest in one
    cdn.notonthehighstreet.com/.../...e-polish-kit.jpg

2) It depends how much you'd wear your shoes out. I think every fortnight would be good. Just use the cloth and rub some shoe polish on your leather boots, then after give it a good brush down when done. Just leave it for a couple of minutes to dry

3-4) The only don't I would say is not to fold your boots (if they're knee high or over knee high length), that would create some wrinkles in your boots that can show over some time. A do? There is leather spray you can purchase to keep it looking like brand new J would buy that too.
    When I usually buy my boots, I ask if I could keep the air filler things in the shoes (usually you would see this in the shop when they have it in display. It's what makes the boots stand up straight and not slouch all over the place) I either grab those or purchase a clip so they can stand up straight.

Mm I think that's it

• A nice pair of real leather boots is a fine investment! (Have you chosen a pair already? Make sure that it is all proper leather... sometimes they sell boots that are part leather and part synthetic leather, which ages just horribly... I'm not falling for that again!))
    They might just offer you the right leather-care product in the shop, or you could ask if they have polish in the right colour, or what product they recommend.
    You don't have to polish them all that often, just when they get a bit scuffy. Two brushes is good: one to dab into the polish and squish into the scuff marks, and the other to buff (swish lightly and quickly in a tangential motion for a minute or so until it is all shiney again)
    It's not a big deal if they get wet or anything, although you might want to stuff them with newspaper overnight to help them dry out, and to keep the nice shape that you paid for...

• Look it up online - it's not difficult.
    Just like any other skin - keep them hydrated... They have a specific liquid with a sponge for that.

• I want to know, too.

• I know shoe cleaning products are the best to use, but I don't own any, so I just clean my leather boots with a damp cloth.

• A wee touch of vinegar in water and dab any stains out... thats what I've used chgzdaniel x