Why do some girls act as if they're the Fashion Police?

I read through A LOT of fashion blogs & posts throughout the internet. I have even made a few posts myself & I gotta say, I had a fair share of girls shame me for my outfit choices. You see it all the time with celebrity posts as well. "Why is her hair like that? So manly." "That skirt is too short. She looks slutty!" It's as if any time a woman decides to go against society's norms, she's an enemy to every other female. Yes, some guys can be misogynistic about a woman's outfit as well. But I honestly see more girls hating on others than guys. Why is that ladies? Why can't you just respect that another girl is confident about herself & congratulate her? Trust me, us fashionistas are more focused on the latest shoe sales than stealing your boyfriends.

What Guys Said 3

• So much pressure on girls to conform to the prevailing fashions. We guys can generally get by with a T-shirt, and if we have to dress up, we all dress alike, so no one is going to criticize us unless our tie clashes..

But women's fashions change constantly, and you have to be up with whatever is 'in.' Most women are trained to evaluate each other's clothes according to the trend of THIS MOMENT... it's not an individual choice!

• 16d

It's not just staying up to trends. If you don't dress in a "classy" way, you're automatically branded as a slut. I dress to celebrate my body & how I'm getting closer to all my healthy goals I set for myself. I don't show skin, because I'm trying to invite sexual partners into my life. It's really sad that people assume the worst of others' without even asking them to explain themselves. But even when I do explain myself, people still tell me I need to cover up.

• 16d

Such a minefield. Showing a lot of skin is ok and even encouraged for girls at clubs or parties, generally, right? But iI guess you 're criticized for doing the same thing in informal situations? The same people who would be wowed by your outfit at a club call you a slut in the grocery store! Or at work, even more!

Something like that is going on?

• 16d

It's been something I've dealt with my whole life. Either my taste in style & fashion is "too weird" or "not ladylike".

• The women who behave like 'fashion police' are usually jealous of women who can pull off those super sexy looks.

• 16d

Well, the better way to go about it would be to ask those girls for fashion advice instead of policing what they wear. But that's right, women have to constantly be petty towards one another. Frenemies for life! *sarcastic tone*

• 16d

I agree! Perhaps an even better way would be to wear whatever they like and stop giving a hoot about what OTHER women wear!

• 16d

Exactly!

• They are more like fashion gestapo especially when they judge how guys dress.

What Girls Said 3

• Chill, they're undercover detectives, smh.

Srs tho, people need to stop judging other people for outfit choices.

• They're jealous

• 16d

They make it very obvious too. Jealousy really is an ugly thing & it just wears down your self esteem.

• that's just the way some people are all we can do is ignore it