Doesn't anyone embrace the natural beauty they were born with?

OK, this is a pet peeve of mine- I have naturally curly hair (which can be a pain in the butt sometimes) that I don't dye or straighten because (most of the time) I like my hair color and I think it's pretty when I just let it curl. But after finding out I have naturally curly hair, people always ask "Oh, do you ever straighten it? You should- it would look so good!" It bugs me, why shouldn't I embrace my hair's natural curls? I don't go around telling girls with straight hair they should curl it. I know straight is in right now, but I like my hair the way it is.

So, do you guys stick with your natural beauty or feel the pressure to alter it when fashion dictates?

Most Helpful Girl

• My hair is naturally curly too and I prefer it that way. I rarely ever straighten it, mainly because of where I live. It rains like 75% of the year at least in Oregon and is humid year round, haha, and I'm not much of an indoors person. So it's kind of pointless in my eyes. When I do straighten my hair, I get a lot of compliments though just because it's different from what I usually do. I like the curls and volume, so I usually change up the cut and how I style it, rather than straighten it. I DO dye my hair, obviously, but it's because I get bored and love change. I don't care what fashion says, haha. I love colors. I don't like looking the same way all the time, and I don't like looking like other people either. I like doing the chameleon thing.

What Guys Said 6

• I think it's rather silly to base such things on what is in, especially since that changes so often, but some people just like a change every now and then; and there is nothing wrong with that. I straighten my hair sometimes, when it's shorter because I don't particularly like the curls at the ends when it isn't the length it is now, when it's longer the weight straightens it out a bit. That is for me and no one else though=)

• I'd say for the most part guys embrace their natural selves to some extent. It's extremely rare for guys to straighten their hair no matter how much it waves or curls. On the other hand, many guys spend hours upon hours in a gym to improve their physique. I'd say we enjoy what we've been given but always strive to be our natural best. It sounds cheesy, but it's how a lot of guys view it.

• Most people fit well into boxes and look the same like clones you should leave you curly hair if your happy with the way it looks then why not

• I stick with the way I am. I don't like making drastic changes to my appearance...let's be honest...it's not like I'm going to be a CIA agent or anything.

• Thank you ... I love a girl who will stick with what she was born with - don't like makeup, excessive jewelry, tattoos, piercings, or hair dye ... or cosmetic surgery. Women are beautiful creatures -- don't f*** up your natural God-given beauty.

• Well thanks, but don't go imagining I'm the perfect naturalist. I have one tattoo and I wear makeup when the mood strikes me, usually when I'm in a little nervous and wanting to look my best (job interview, first date) or in a formal setting (wedding, formal dinners etc.). Generally though, I'm with you on natural beauty being messed up by alterations, and thanks on behalf of my gender for the compliment.

• How You act is just as important as how you look!

What Girls Said 10

• I have naturally straight hair and funny thing is when I was younger I felt pressure to be 'curly' because that was the style that was 'in' then. I never changed according to that, I always went with what makes me comfy

• I know this is a late answer, but I'm answer anyway. xD

I have natural curl type of things also. Only they aren't really curls. Just really annoying waved curls, lol. So I usually straighten them or actually make big curls. I hardly let myself go natural. I'm not sure why, but I just can't stand how it looks, I guess. But I adore my hair color and I don't think I would ever want to dye it another color. I really like a person who can let there hair just go natural. I think it shows true beauty if you do do that. :) So yep, don't change yourself just because it's "in fashion". I've learned that lesson a million times. ^_^

• Well, do you do your hair the same way everyday? If your comfortable with your usual style, that's great, and don't let anyone try to take that away. For me, I have extremely unmanageable hair, and I get straightening treatments, because I have to. But if you like your curly hair, then stick with it. You might want to try changing it up occasionally though, if you wear it the same way everyday. If you want, you could straighten it sometimes, but leave it curly most of the time. Whatever your happy with.

• I personally like the variety. My hair is naturally wavy and I love it like that. But I also like to wear it straight and to curl it. I love curls so much I'm getting a perm soon. And I do what I want with my hair, not what society says is "in". Natural beauty is a gift, I think you should be proud.

• I guess you could say that I embrace my natural beauty.. I don't do anything with my hair besides comb it and put it in a ponytail and I don't wear makeup either, so I don't spend a whole lot of time infront of the mirror.

• i have curly hair.. I love it... sometimes when people tell me that it would look beter stright I'm like whatever.. I have been wearing it stright but most of the time I still love my curly hair

• Nope everyone wants what they don't got

• :) I love my hair blond and strait I don't think I will ever do anything to it!

• I think you're being ridiculous. This isn't about changing who you are or what you were born with. Those people aren't telling you to get plastic surgery to change your nose. It's just straightening hair. It's not a big deal.

• True, they're not telling me to have plastic surgery, but my issue is just that why should I have to change at ALL from my natural state? If I want to, that's one thing, but when other people suggest it, it feels like they're implying the way I look now is less than good enough. It's not like it majorly upsets me, it's just one of those irritating things people do that I wish they wouldn't.

• it takes a lot of courage to embrace ur natural beauty! its kinda hard because if you don't look a certain way you get pressured (directly or indirectly) to conform to a set standard and if you don't look like that then its like wtf...well to a lotta people anyway. I have naturally kinky/curly hair and I straighten it every 6 weeks with a perm. I kinda wish I hadnt started though its too much hassle, expensive and just a bother. my sister has the same kind of hair except not chemically altered and its beautiful, I don't want her to think she has to do that to be pretty either. and then there's this girl at my school who has this cute little afro and I'm like omg she's cool lol. and guys like her so I guess it really doesn't matter