My hair is falling for several months (please read the details). Any advice?

Ok, so I really need help with this issue and I need an advice from someone who struggled with this. I don't have any lack of vitamins and minerals , I tried oils (argan, coconut etc.) and nothing , seriously. I use conditioner but my hair is still thin and frizzy at the ends.
And it's falling. A lot. I had a stressful time in June until the end of July when I was eating very little. I was like 98 lbs at 5'4 and I was lacking energy. I think since then my hair started to fall. But now I am healthy. Why is still falling out?My hair is falling for several months (please read the details). Any advice?
Look how small is my braid! Now, seriously I am really worried.
Thank you!

Most Helpful Guy

• I have just read something about hair loss with anorexia, which could have been relevant to your previous stress situation. When your body is depleted of resources then it directs what resources it has to vital organs. Your hair is made up of a protein called keratin. Apparently this can become depleted when the body is starved of resources.

You say that you're healthy now so there is no particular reason why you would be low on keratin, but you could always try keratin supplements for a little and see if it makes any difference. Read up on them first, obviously.

Most Helpful Girl

• Have you tried castor oil? Us black women use it all the time to keep our hair from breaking off since its more brittle than yours. Try using it in a hot oil treatment once a week or once every two weeks. And put it on your hair while it's still wet to seal in the moisture. Oils are useless if you don't

Also, cut out shampoo. It just dries your hair and scalp out. When I stopped using shampoo, my hair was fuller and I had way less shedding happening.

Fast forward to 6:08 on this video, and you'll see how her hair change in a month just from using castor oil. She also talks about how to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Tyy1U2mTY

• 5d

Never tried it. Thank you. And you don't use anything instead of shampoo?

• 5d

You're welcome.

Also, one last thing, I saw somewhere the you said your hair is falling at the bulb. That means your scalp isn't nourished enough. The products will keep your hair healthy, but you may have to eat a natural based diet to get it back to where it was. Not vegetarian necessarily, but lots of fruits and veggies and only lean proteins. Cut out sugar and processed foods and snacks. Fish is great because it has natural oils, Omega-3 Fatty Acid, in it that's good for skin and hair and nail growth. And eat eggs. Awesome source of protein and that's all your hair is: protein.

I know Russia doesn't necessarily have as much of a diet problem like us Americans, but just because you aren't overweight doesn't mean your skin is healthy.

• 5d

Oh, alright. Yeah, it think that the problem is inside, indeed. I am eating healthy lately, but I think i'll have to wait longer. That's why I asked really, to see if someone struggled with this and if it's normal to wait more than 3 months to get back in shape.

What Guys Said 12

• Depends.
    If the hall that's falling off has a white little bulb attached to the end , the follicle has reached the end of it's cycle and will begin again , that's usually normal , if you're losing handful of them everyday. Probably want to up your protein and go easy on the braids , they are quite harsh on the roots.
    If the hair is falling off without a bulb , crooked and all you might want to wash your hair less often , maybe 3 times a week if you aren't doing anything active to stop drying the strands out.
    Once hair is damaged there really isn't anything you can do to salvage it. Less shampooing , more conditioner , no combing when wet , no hair pulling , no blow-drying , be gentle.

• 6d

Thank you! Very helpful. My hair is falling with the bulb attached. And I thought this is worst. Well... thanks again for information.

• 6d

Fast metabolism eh.
      Well some people have thicker hair , some people have thinner hair. It's just genetics. If it's falling out with the bulbs attached I'm not sure if there's way to counter it. A lot of snake oil salesman out there so in your search be careful eh? If not your money would soon be parted.

• You poor thing! You have my sympathy.
    There is a strong connection between eating disorders and hair loss and it would make sense that it should resolve when you get back to good health but I don't know for sure.
    I recommend seeing a dermatologist as soon as possible, but there are also some relatively expensive products, a Rogaine for ladies sort of thing but as far as know not terribly successful. Here in Europe there is a very reasonably priced caffeine based shampoo from Germany called Alpecin that is supposed to be very good for hair loss. Again not something to try just on it's own. First stop, dermatologist.

• 5d

Rogaine is temporary effects and if causes hormonal imbalance.

How's this caffeine based shampoo btw?

• 5d

@YourFutureEx
      I don't have a hair loss issue but the wife is losing more than she likes, so I bought some for her. No feedback on hair loss yet, but I'll pay more attention the next time I clean the shower drain trap and drop you a PM if I may. I've started using it myself and I love it. The hair feels fuller and softer and I don't need conditioner.

• 5d

Alright :)
      I'm trying myself too.

• Don't worry. Solution is at hand. There are 6 Core Hormonal Imbalances that can cause Hair Loss Problems. They are Testesterone , Estrogen , DHT , Cortisol , Thyroid and Insulin. Nutrition and Hair Care Plan can Rebalance these Hormonal Imbalance. There are 4 Specific Hair Loss Triggers. After doing a Hair Loss Trigger Analysis you will know which is the exact reason affecting you.

• I think it's just do to stress, you may not be as stressed out now, but you still have a considerable amount of stress. It should be getting better as you have less stress now, but it takes time to for your body to heal and repair itself. Also dying it will make it fall out also. I don't know if it's true, but I heard on the radio that Ariana Grande was losing a lot of hair (in patches) due to coloring her hair so often. Stop coloring it and try to maintain your stress a little better (easier said than done), and your hair should stop falling out.

• Eat plenty of fruit and wash your hair no more than two times a week without conditioner, using this shampoo:
    www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1_a_it

www.weleda.co.uk/.../...oo_Bodywash_RGB-medium.jpg

• 6d

Explanation: humans are mainly frutarians, so most of their diet should be fruit. But these days fruit has about 40% less vitamins that it used to have, and people think eating 4 pieces of fruit is a lot.

Moreover people wash constantly because they consider their body natural oils to be dirt. That oils actually is what keeps skin and hair healthy, so you should wash only enough for keeping true dirt out.

In fact soap on the body is really don't needed, as skin is flat and all detritus goes with water alone. So only shampoo from time to time is really needed.

• ıt can be because of lack of vitamin you must see a doctor

• Probably a lot of this has been caused by the stress you have been suffering go and see a doctor or a professional

• Iron deficiency

• 6d

Could be? I had some sort of anemy, but now i eat healthy... but you might be right.

• It could be part of your Genes. I suggest that you go to a professional and maybe get some ladies minoxidil or some type of hair transfers

• Did you search on google the causes for hair loss?

• 6d

Yes, and that's why I came up with the idea that this started in that time when I was eating less...

• 6d

Maybe the hair products you currently use are not that healthy for your hair? I think there are products specifically for people who suffer from hair loss.

• It was definitely caused by stress and not eating enough. Although you say that you're eating fine now, are you getting enough protein and fats? A lack of one or both can lead to hair loss and thinning of the hair.

• apply egg on your hair it helps...

What Girls Said 14

• oh... you remind me of when i went underweight a few years ago... please put on some weight and you'll see your hair health will improve gradually

• Have you had blood work done to make sure all of your levels are up since June?
    Stress can be a huge factor in hair loss - I had a really bad time when I was younger and lost so much, it took a good 6-9 months to stop falling out and then longer to start growing back. I lost a significant amount of weight two years ago and heaps fell out again but it didn't take as long to start again after that but I had to make sure my iron, vit c and d were up with supplements.
    I also cut a good chunk off so it was healthier instead of the ratty ends that kept breaking. It's pretty frustrating though

• 6d

Thank you! So after a stressful time could take several months to stop falling, right? Anyway, you helped me. I thought it should be healthy again after a month or so.

• 6d

It'll grow back 😊 Be kind to yourself. I cut mine to a long bob in 2014 after it thinned out and it's already back to my bra strap and super thick with regular trims. It'll get there

• 6d

Well, a new haircut it's always nice. :)

• You were more than 20 pounds underweight. Your body doesn't just bounce back from that. You should be seeing a doctor because clearly you've done more damage to your body than you realized.

• 6d

I guess you are right I am expecting too much from my body... it maybe takes more than 3 or 4 months to be normal and healthy again... that's why I asked if someone has struggled with this before.

• 6d

Well, you could ask your doctor...

• I think you should get your thyroid checked. Your body's reaction to stress is to diminish itself with weightloss and excessive hair shedding can come with this. You may need bloodwork and a specialist. Hormonal imbalances are notorious for strange weight changes and hair growth issues. So please look into this. I hope you get to the "root" of it soon (my bad) and feel better☆♡☆

• It. Plus just take a bit of time for you hair and body to recover from the stress. It can also be something blocking your follicles or an irritating such as a ring worm on your head. I'm won't scare you but look at your scalp and see what's happening there.

• cut it short
    yes you heard me :P
    add vitamins add proteins in your diet even more
    shower less
    don t pull your hair a lot so don t comb them a lot or braid them :p
    condition more and so
    go check a doctor just to be sure

• Have you had your thyroid checked? Eating disorders can throw it off balance, screwing everything up

• Hair requires energy, the more hair you have, the more you need to "feed" it.. when struggling with an important hair loss, finding the source of the problem is the first thing to do, 98lbs is waay too thin, you should eat more, healthier. Second thing to do is to get a haircut, I hate to say this but it'll be easier to cut as much as you're willing to so that the rest of you hair receives more vitamins, third thing to do is treatment. Natural remedies need to be done on a regular basis, a rather radical one is garlic and argan oil, it's smelly and nasty but it's apparently one of the best ways to make hair grow back.. I would also suggest seeing a professional about this, they'll give special shampoos and vitamins to massage your hair with.. Stress and anxiety make things much worse by the way. Start treating but unless you start getting bald spots (god forbid!) don't obssess over this.

• try adding some biotin to your diet.

• apply argan oil

• You might have alopecia. But, i'm no doctor. So, you should go see one. Do you see any bald spots? Have your brows and lashes fallen too?

• 5d

Oh, no, no! Not bald spots. I thought the same in the beginning, until I saw what alopecia really is. Thank you for feedback.

• 5d

Oh ok my sis has alopecia and its really sad. You should still see a doctor and if the cause un unknown then you can wear extensions or a wig that looks real of course

• You should be talking to your doctor instead of asking us for help. Good luck💟☮️

• Please go see a doctor. None of us are medical experts on here.

• 6d

I asked if someone struggled with this, that's why I said "read the details ".

• 5d

Sorry ahaha, didn't read it properly.

• 5d

It's fine. :)

• Cancer?