Is my cartilage piercing healing properly?

Monday, I got my cartilage pierced, with a gun, (I KNOW IT CAN SHATTER MY CARTILAGE SO DON'T LECTURE ME K AND I DID GO TO A PROFESSIONAL TATTOO/PIERCING PLACE NOT CRAPPY CLAIRES)

I want to know if its healing properly, there is no crusty bits coming from it, Its not sore if I touch around it, only when I touch the initial piercing, it also doesn't hurt if I was to sleep on that side, (apart from the back stabbing me in the head, lol)

also what gauge is the bar? considering it was pierced using a gun and compared to my other piercing it looks to be about a 1mm width/18 gauge. All my other piercings are 1.6mm (tongue & lip and normal ear piercings)

Also, I've been cleaning with salt water, which I've used for all my piercings and I've never had an infection, so yeah, answer if its healing properly and the gauge?

It looks to be about a 1mm/18gauge, of which when its healed I'm gonna ram in a 1.2 then a 1.6 so all my piercings are equal.

Thanks guys, it is sore I'd I tap the rim of my ear a bit, and obviously it won't be healed in a few days xD thank you
BIG BIG UPDATE.

I woke up friday morning, my ear was HUGE, red, swollen, extremely sore. Through out the day the earring was embedding into my ear, So much I took the back off, the earring left no room to put the butterfly back on.
when I got home I whacked in a 1.6 ring as it was all I had to allow room for swelling, still extremely sore and today I took it out after a huge bit of puss came out the back.

Bye bye cartilage piercing. NEVER EVER using a gun again.
My ear is still very swollen, and tender.

Most Helpful Girl

• It sounds like it's healing fine so far. Piercing guns use 20 or 18 gauge jewelry. It varies. Keep using the salt water to clean it and you should be okay. Don't try changing the jewelry for at least two months, and maybe longer. Cartilage piercings can be very finicky about healing. You don't want problems. Keep in mind though that all kinds of random things can interrupt the healing process and you may have to take it out if it doesn't continue to heal afterward.

For example, in 6th grade, I got a cartilage piercing about halfway up my ear. With a gun. I'm not going to bitch at you for that because I did it too. Though that was when I was 12, before I knew better. I'm sure you're aware that piercing with a gun is a horrible idea as far as sterilization goes, and a responsible piercer would not use one. Anyway, not the point at all: Mine was healing perfectly, until about a month in, when I got hit in the ear with a volleyball at a game. It was ridiculously swollen for several days, and I eventually had to pull the jewelry out through the BACK of my ear because the front of it was sucked so far into the swelling that I couldn't take it out normally. Blood, pain, that whole drama. I left it out for about a week, but continued cleaning it. SOMEHOW, I was able to get different jewelry back in it, and it healed up perfectly after that. That was lucky, and it's a miracle that I didn't have to see a doctor to have them cut the jewelry out.

But what I'm getting at is that little mishaps like that can ruin a piercing [and possibly your ear] and that's something you have to think about. That's another good reason NOT to use a piercing gun. The kind of jewelry used in a piercing gun doesn't allow room for swelling and you can't move it around much when you clean it. If I could go back and just get pierced with a needle and have a ring for jewelry, I never would have had that issue with mine, haha.

What Guys Said 1

• Can take a while to heal, if infected takes longer...

What Girls Said 2

• A way to check if it's healed... Gently[Sp?] LOL]

Yeah gently tap the rim bit a couple of times...Pain=Not ready to change...No pain then you should be good to go! Bt personally I wouldn't advise changing at such a early stage... I've got both mine done and they are STILL sore even after having them done over a year... Hope its okay for you :)

• must not have been a great place if they used a piercing gun... that's like piercing 101: don't. use. piercing. guns. plain and simple.

from your description, it sounds like it's healing well. even if it feels fine, though, don't change it yet. wait until it's fully healed (6-8 weeks) before changing the jewelry. good luck with the stretching once it's healed, cartilage isn't as easy to stretch as lobes (obviously) and it will probably hurt like a bitch. heck, even just stretching my lobes by .2mm hurt. ears are fickle.

• Yeah, I know stretching cartilage is going to hurt alot, I used to have stretched ear lobes, but I took them out.