Would you switch your usual skin care routine to a retro one?

Nowadays we've got skin care products such toners, micellar water, exfoliating creams, serums, face wash, etc... that come in tubes or bottles. Back then there was less variation, and of course it was far more simple. It was common to use bar soap usually an all purpose one, steam your face with hot water, and use the special product, cold cream. Cold cream comes in a fairly large pot, very vintage style, not like today's products that come in tubes/bottles. It is used to cleanse and moisturize.
I know I'm stating the obvious *insert Nicholas Cage meme here, "You don't say?"*

124

Most Helpful Girl

• Unlike most people who use tons of paraffin based creams and horrid soaps on their face, I don't have bad skin. I have only ever used water on my face. It is very sensitive to chemicals. If I wear make-up I use coconut oil to remove it before washing my face with water.

You do not need all these chemicals. Some people have skin conditions and some medications are required to ease the suffering and discomfort, but normal people: you're literally throwing your money away for some placebo and a sense of inclusion or elitism.

• Have you tried natural homemade skin care recipes before?

• I use a natural home made body wash in the shower. On occasion during the winter months I will use a moisturising face wash which I also made. My skin can dry out and chap in the cold, windy weather.

The ingredients for both are very simple:

Raw Honey (most honey is pasterised and this process kills most of the natural benefits of the honey)
      Coconut Oil
      Castile Soap (natural vegetable soap)
      Essential Oils (Grapefruit and Basil for my body wash - Tea Tree and Mint for my face)

Depending on water type and method these soaps can be tricky to get a good lather, but once you are used to it they aren't an issue. You can also choose to not use oils or to swap and change and use whatever you prefer. Make sure they are safe for skin and not aromatherapy oils or scents. Pure essential oils is what is needed.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 4

• i dont do any skin care
    i just wash my face with water everyday

• I only use cocoa butter. so no

• The expensive ones have perfume and other additives to make it cost a lot more.

• I don't want to rub ineffective creams on my face.

What Girls Said 11

• Yes I would! Actually saw that video before and found it fascinating, that's how I actually became interested in what life would be like if I change my skin care routine. However, I have no money to actually get older things, but I would do that steaming thing.

• Well, I would assume that products back then had less chemicals/ingredients in them than the ones used today, so that plays a role in that. Nowadays companies want to attract people to their products so they make all these different skincare lines when it really doesn't take that much to get your skin clear.

To answer your question, I kind of already do, at least when it comes to simplicity. I just use an exfoliating facial cleanser (I don't like bar soap), moisturizer and call it a day, and my skin is pretty clear. I've heard steaming is beneficial too, so I'd be up for trying it.

• I heard that my great grandmother used to use cold cream, the Nivea brand. She was known to be very beautiful and took very good care of her beauty, wouldn't hurt if I try out one of her beauty secrets, lol.

• God no, that would never work for my skin.

• If it was suitable, why not

• Noooooooo

We have the technology now that they didn't back then. No way in hell im giving up a single product in my routine lol

• I prefer baby products.

• no i wouldn't change my routine

• Never..

• No. I have troubled oily acne prone skin and need medicated products to keep it under control

• no fuckin way

• I would defo try it!