Girls, guys, what is the most common choice of outfit in your country, for restaurant or family visits?

Here in Belgium, more and more often you see people opt for a casual outfit for these occasions.
20 years ago, you would see many people, especially 50+, visit their family or a restaurant in formal clothes.
Today, you see jeans, T-shirts, sweaters, casual shirts and even sports shoes on kids are not uncommon.
Do you see the same tendency?

• Nope, here it's (almost) strictly formal dress code for these occasions
  • Formal dress code is more common
  • Casual dress code is more common
    Vote C
  • Casual all the way
    Vote D

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Ah the 40s and 50s when men and women knew how to properly dress :(

Honestly it depends on the restaurant in question if it's just your regular Joe kind of place you would dress causally, nice jeans and a nice shirt, but if it's more upscale your dress formally.

• Absolutely true Phoenix!
      Couldn't go to a business lunch in jeans and sweater :o or I'd lose the deal :-(
      Fortunately I'm not a sales person so generally casual is no problem :D

• Me neither... and I'm not certain if we wouldn't "disappear" if we knew where to get that stuff. We'd fall under the term "they know too much" :-(

• Probably /=

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 12

• Hi.

It depends on the purpose of the visit. Here in Malaysia, if the occasion is only to meet up or hang out with friends and relatives, it is mostly casual all the way.

However, some occasions here like meeting in restaurant with business partner for business discussion, this will automatically go to formal code dress.

Then some parents might want to meet their future in-law, this is either going to casual or formal dress, depends on who the person will met. If he/she comes from rich/wealthy family or having VIP status, the other person that wants to visit this family will need to perform themselves in a well mannered code dress (as mentioned earlier either formal or casual). We live in multicultural community so either the person is Muslim, Christian etc all would prefer having a dress which won't expose their body much during the visit or meeting.

In countryside, dress for men on both occasion isn't matter but he usually wear something like t-shirt+jeans at least. While for women, the Malay girls mostly go for traditional dresses like Baju Kurung or Kebaya if there is family gathering/visits. This too, depends on situations.

• That's interesting, thanks. Especially the fact about living together with many cultures.
      With the lots of immigrants from Africa and the Middle East we have in Europe, our society is also quickly becoming more multicultural :D

• Casual. We went out Christmas eve and I just opted for one of my favourite dresses and some leggings and my boots, I think the smartest person there was my boyfriend in a black shirt and jeans. Formal would be way too much just for a restaurant visit.

• Okay thanks, so it seems to be a European tradition at least :D

• For restaurant it's formal a suit for men and dress / high heels for girls. After if it's a mcdo it aren't the same.
    For family diner it's smart casual (quite conservative too since we eat with grandparent, etc...).
    Like for summer it's a dress and wedge for men just a polo shirt and short.
    In winter it's generally a dark skinny jeans / black pants with a shirt and a cardigan. Like this :
    secure.polyvoreimg.com/.../96896299.jpg
    i.ebayimg.com/.../$_32.JPG?set_id=880000500F
    This kind of cardigan are very popular, pratically everyone in my family wore them ^-^
    For men it's a jeans, a shirt / polo shirt and a sweater / cardigan.

• pretty casual unless it is a real fancy restaurant. But I often like to dress slightly over casual when I go out anyway just because I have no other occasion to.

• Sounds great :D
      Haha over casual... I'm trying to imagine what that would look like!

• The only thing I can think of where you dress formal is when you're playing in an orchestra concert or you're going to a wedding. Everything else is casual.

• That was an exaggeration of me. Some business scenario's require semi-formal attire. I'm a bit spacey today.

• Haha no worries, I understand what you mean!

• Casual dress :) very common, jeans and maybe a pretty blouse and for guys, jeans and a shirt. Maybe it's my family too, but we don't get all dressed up bc we know them, so, why would be try to impress them like that.

• Yeah me too I doubt whether a suit really impresses people except for formal occasions...

• Depends on the restaurant but overall where I live is a fairly casual laid back community. casual or as we call it here "upscale casual" is what's most common.

• Mostly casual, in my case it's always casual :)

• Depends on the restaurant or the occasion. Most times you see a mixture of casual and semi-casual (I'm from Canada)

• It's remarkable how the opinions from all over the world have a lot in common :D
      Casual is really the rule, almost everywhere!

• Over here it is casual for the most part.

• causal

• Casual.

What Guys Said 5

• I still see people go black tie formal for the more ritzy restaurants. It's best to err on the side of caution and dress up instead of looking shabby. You can always remove coats/blazers and things later if you're overdressed.

• That's true as well, better be overdressed and downscale :D

• I agree with you. Im also from Belgium.

• I've been to Belgium and Europe in general is more formal than North America.

Sports shoes on adult men are the norm in North America. Tons of sports wear in general. Somewhat ironic for the least healthy generation of all time.

• Haha yeah we see an American business man as a guy in a suit wearing a cap and sports shoes :D

• It's just so pathetic. Our grandfathers managed trench warfare in leather soled boots and our generation needs cross trainers to waddle from the couch to the fridge.

• Yeah this world is just not logical...

• Casual all the way

• Casual is more common.