Does it hurt to get a tattoo or not?

I'm thinking about getting my first tattoo and I was wondering if it hurts?

1318

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends, really.

Where it is going to be, and your own sensitivity to pain. It does "hurt" but it's not really painful, if that makes sense?

I've got a few, and the best way that I can describe it is basically like a long pinch. You can feel a stinging sensation, but it's relatively easy to block out. You just kind of go numb.

I always bring a book, and have never had a problem concentrating, during the process.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends - your extremeities will hurt the least - except around ankled, knuckles, bones - like feet, ankles, knees, hands, fingers...

It will hurt the most from your core outwards. The further from the core the less it will hurt.

It's an incessent scratching sound + the wiping of the ink by the artist also tends to irritate the skin - the bigger the tattoo the more wiping it needs... + it depends on the style of tattoo you're going to get.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 17

• Yes, it hurts. It depends on your sensitivity to pain, how you handle the pain, where you get your tattoo and how your tattoo artist applies the tattoo. www.beforeyourtattoo.com/images/Pain-Men-2.jpg

• In my experience it only hurts during and the intensity of the pain depends on the location of the tattoo.. I mean if u want the tattoo get what u want and where u want it. don't let a little pain dictate a lifetime of possible regret because you couldn't stand a couple of hour of slight pain.

• Yes, it hurts. It depends on where you get it though. There are pain charts for tattoos you can look at to determine how much you care about the pain.

It won't kill you though. If I were you I would just go and get one done where you want it. Tough it out then in the future decide if the pain was too much or fine (if you choose to continue to get more tattoos)

• Not really after you get past the outline of the tattoo. It's kind of like a baby bee sting you multiple times in the skin. If you need a break from the needle ask your tattooist to give you a small break. Just remember not to make any sudden movements are jerks.

• I don't have any tattoos

• i think it hurts a little

• No it feels like a massage -_-

• Depends where you get it

• Depends on where you're getting it and your threshold for pain

• Depends on the person. My girlfriend has five tattoos and she said none of them hurt when she got them.

• Of course it hurts, it's a sharp needle rapidly injecting ink straight into your flesh

• It hurts if you're a baby

• Depends what part of your body you get tatted

• Why scar your body to find out

• hiiiiiiii

• It does hurt like hell. Lol. I have a question, do you prefer if guys shave their body?

What Girls Said 12

• It depends on the location you choose. Some are more painful than others.
    I have a tattoo on the top of my foot, which I was told was a more painful area. Maybe 3 inches long and at the widest point an inch and a half. To me, it didn't hurt too bad, as a matter of fact my mom held my hand way harder than I held hers (I was 17 when I got it, needed mommy's permission lol) I think that hurt more than the tattoo.
    I recall when getting it it burned a little more than anything else. For me, getting it wasn't that bad though.

• There is pain, but after awhile it dulls out. Some areas hurt much more than others - anything on bone or with thin skin hurt the most.
    Be mindful of that and the size of the tattoo because once you start they have to finish. Imagine a half drawn tattoo for the rest of your life 😉

• Nah man it feels like butterfly kisses

• It feels like someone scratching a really bad sunburn to me. I have my wrist, thigh, and upper back. None of them were over the top, crying in pain. On a 0 to 10 (10 is I'm dying).. let's make a c-section a 6, the tattoo was a 2, 3 at times.

• I had my wrist inked (that was my first tattoo) and it hurt like hell for the first minute but then I kinda got used to it. But i have a high pain tolerance. I don't know if you have piercings but if my nose was a 2/10 and my lips were a 6/10, this was prob a 7 max.

• It hurts more in certain places than others but it'll also hurt more if you have a lower pain tolerance.
    I'm gonna get a tattoo and ik it'll probably hurt but I'll just cry and deal with it.

• Depends on the placement, colors or not, complexity of your design. Smaller ones tend to not be as painful. Your ribs, back and ankle can be a bitch. Also this all relies a great deal on your general pain tolerance.

• Yes it hurts hahaha

• I didn't know if it depends where you get it at

• It is going to hurt pretty much regardless... some parts of your body are going to hurt more than others though

• I want one soooo baddd but spine and the side of your midsection are the most sensitive and hurt like hell

• It might. Depends on your pain tolerance, the location of the tattoo, the size, and the artist themself. I've only 17 tattoos at the moment, but I didn't find them to be painful. Well, most of them anyway. The 2 on my butt hurt. The ink guy said that basically, the places on your body where the sun don't shine, can often be the most tender.

• It depends on where you're getting it.

• No, no it doesn't hurt.
    It feels soothing. -_-