Why do people think it's fine to criticize men's fashion but it's not okay to criticize women's fashion?

If a guy wears skinny jeans, a lot of people make fun of him. However if a woman wears a revealing piece of attire, a lot of people say "You go girl!" If someone criticizes a woman's clothing style, a lot of people say "A woman can wear whatever she wants". Then men can wear whatever they want as well, who cares if people criticize men for wearing certain clothes.

Correction, Women do get criticized but more people come to their aid. Men on the other hand, nobody comes to their aid.

Most Helpful Girl

• that's true.. All that u have said.
    As for the why? I don't know. I guess most peopl just like to judge I don't know

Most Helpful Guy

• Well for a start. You get a LOT of guys squeezing their way into skinny jeans when they're not built for them and end up looking like a sausage. Which is fine if they like that look and are comfortable (although it doesn't look comfortable lol) Skinny jeans, in my opinion, don't suit a guy unless he's built like a twig. This is why I prefer slim fit.

As for people criticizing, let them. They only want you to conform to what they consider to be stylish which is wrong because you're an individual. The common saying goes that everybody has an opinion which is true. However, the issue with people today is they expect other people to go along with whatever their opinion may be. Just ignore them.

• Those are super skinny jeans you are referring to, regular skinny jeans feel comfortable and I'm not even slim.

• No they don't and I am slim.

• Well maybe your getting the wrong kind, some of them make you cumbersome. Also you need to get used to them, I know they feel weird at first but after a while of wearing them they feel normal.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 35

• Hahahaha SINCE WHEN?

It's a hilarious world that's in your head, man...

• Uhh I don't know what reality you're in but here in Real Life women are criticized for *anything* and *everything* that we *ever* wear.

• I'm not saying it's only women that criticize men, I'm saying that it's both men and women that criticize men.

• Look, if you want to hold a civilized conservation then go ahead but just stop with the name calling. It's time for me to sleep, maybe tomorrow we can continue this conversation.

• I'm not name calling. Your choice to see things as insults is not my problem.

• Women get criticized all the time for wearing things. Women get called hoes for wearing revealing outfits, or get criticized if they are being too modest. They get compared to one another all the time, just look at any fashion magazine, they always have a "who wore it better" section.

Just youtube Fashion Police, and you will see women being criticized for what they wear.

Men also get criticized, don't get me wrong. But it happens to both. I think people are just too judgmental in my opinion.

• Women get criticized for having their ass out too lol

• 😑 people always critize everything regardless of gender

• I promise you, for every tacky girl wearing revealing clothes, there will be other people who secretly or openly will not like it. Many people criticise people's fashion male or female. I'm not sure where you are basing this off but from my experience it seems pretty even if actually not slightly skewed more towards judging women over their appearance. I see far more guys for example making comments about revealing clothes on a girl than a guy wearing skinnies. In fact, my boyfriend wears skinny jeans and no one has ever made fun of him for it.

• I was going to say, guys only get made fun of for wearing skinny jeans if they're emo, but if you're emo you're just going to get made fun of, period

• @FallOutBoy2001 Yeah that's true. My boyfriend is a 23 year old male who is definitely not "emo" in the slightest. It just suits his frame better (he's very skinny so other pants can look very big and mismatched on him) and he is more of a artistic type of guy. If he was this emo/scence kid then I'd get why people may think it's fun..

• Women get criticize also over what they wear. Even tho she may not hear it people may be thinking it in their minds. We live in a judgmental society where people are judging every little detail about you. Its not right. But its something that you should not worry about and focus on. Its vanity. Whether your a guy or girl be comfortable with what your wearing

• If a girl wears revealing clothing nobody says it publicly but you might be like "wow she looks extra skanky today." To your friend beside you. A slut is a slut and if everyone knows she's a slut then there's no need to say it out loud. For a guy tho one friend might notice he's wearing skinny jeans and point out that he's wearing them, not to be rude or anything but as an observation and then the friend that's actually the douche bag calls him gay for wearing skinny jeans which are normally seen on women. then everyone thinks it's ok to call him a fag.

• Women get criticised just as much sure some people are impowering but many others will say that they're slutty, tacky, cheap/poor.

In my opinion guys have the upper hand because although they also get criticised if someone isn't into their style they don't get called sluts. You can go without a shirt with nothing said to you where as if we show our belly, cleavage, or legs we're automatically sluts.

• Correction we get criticised more.

• So, if you dress modestly in a liberal state you get bashed as a prude and if you dress skanky in a conservative state, you get called slutty and a skank

• @adfsdg1996
      I doubt the majority can be that's why that state is known to be either liberal or conservative it's pretty much guaranteed and in that case i agree with you i never said i didn't. Im just saying it doesn't apply to everyone in that state which would make you stick out.

@Falloutboy2001
      And i would like to think not and that people respect one anothet or keep their opinions to their self but there are people that talk behind peoples back and are judgmental to those that are different.

• Men historically have had thicker skin and can handle it when someone lets them know honestly what they chose to wear is not flattering.

• That's not true. Girls get in trouble for showing a fucking shoulder in class. Or you get sent home because you decide to wear yoga pants during a game of kick ball. Because "it's a distraction to the guys". And if you wear something that " revealing " you get labeled as a slut.

• Women criticise women's clothing a whole lot more than they do men's. Yes men get judged for lots of style things but nowhere near as much as women. It's always about what women should wear and what they can't wear and their weight. It's just that lots of women are fighting back. ANYONE can wear what they want in my opinion. Everyone can do what they wanna do fashion wise. Ain't hurting nobody.

• We say it, just behind each others backs😂

• What are you talking about? I have been criticized by people for literally everything I've ever worn out of the house

• And no, no one has ever come to my aid, save for maybe two people to respect that I will dress how I feel comfortable

• You made this up lol

• A guy can wear whatever he wants and a girl can wear whatever she wants.
    If I don't think a human looks good in their clothing I will think my opinion of the outfit, guy or girl. That doesn't take away your right to wear whatever you want, just that I don't like your outfit.

• Are you kidding me? Women face the most criticism.

• I can wear whatever I want? Have you ever try walking out with a bralette on as a girl? Have you ever been told what your wearing is inappropriate because of your body shape that you cannot help? I think not sir

• If anything more girls try to copy what guys wear because whatever they wear is cool. It probably depends on what area you stay in

• With that logic I should walk around with short shorts and rainbow colored shirt with high heels. I mean it's not like other dudes are going to call me a faggot. It does depend on where you live. Like where I live every one dresses anywhere between classy to trashy. Exotic to blain. People aren't so judgmental about clothing here. In all honesty though I think girls have it worse than guys. The thing is though girls are the ones judging each other while guys are being judged by both men and women

• *plain, not blain

• I criticize everyone's fashion choices. If you walk out of your house dressed like a clown (not literally), I'm obviously going to look at you funny.

I think I'm more harsh on other girls just because I feel like females have a lot of fashion choices, so when a girl looks bad I'm like: "Are you kidding me?" Especially if I know she owns cute clothes, because what a waste? She has potential.

• Their body their choice. Instead of focusing on what others are wearing you should focus on fixing your attitude lmao

• @angelicsakura If you want to look like a clown, nobody's stopping you. I'm pro freedom of choice.

It's not like I say these things to people's faces. The asker wanted honest responses, and I gave him just that.

Maybe you should focus on not judging people based on their honest opinions. I'm actually a pretty sweet and loving person irl, but you know what they say: assuming makes an ass out of me and you (but mostly just you).

• PC culture is why which basically states who you can't make fun of and who you can. At the minute you can only make fun of straight white men.

• More people come to women's aid probably because women get criticized more on average.

• What are you talking about?
    Women are criticized way more than men. You guys can wear sweatpants and a T shirt and that's fine, but we must dress to impress nearly all the time. I think men have it easier in this category.

• Lolol! Women are judged much more harshly on appearances. What world are you living in?

• Read the update.

• I don't think people do come to their aide more

• Yes they do, people always say "She can wear whatever she wants." However if a guy wears skinny jeans, everyone tells him to "man up" or other insults.

• That's not really true. People JUDGE women by their clothes, some people even say that by a woman's choice of clothing she deserved to be raped or cat called. It's really reaaally harder for women, we don't get to wear whatever we want without being labeled.

• i think it is both ok

• Lmao that's just not true.. girls get so much more shit for what they're wearing

• Who thinks this? Modern, up to date fashion is ugly regardless who it is for.

• People should wear whatever they want. As long as they're happy with it I think anything is ok. It's fun seeing what people come up with

• everybody can wear what they want

• I've always found the opposite to be true.

• More from Girls
    5

What Guys Said 27

• It all depends on how much you care to entertain those types of comments in your mind. For instance, I like my jeans skinny cuz I hate loosely fitting clothes. That opinion supersedes whatever feelings someone may have, they wouldn't know whats best for me

• I agree that no one really comes to a man's aid, but women definitely get criticized much more

• I think when it comes to guys, our dress is addressed and made fun of on the spot out loud. Girls might be more quite and behind there backs.

This can be completely wrong and we just only focused on ourselves this whole time.

• What universe are you living in if you think women aren't criticized for revealing dress?

• I actually agree, but women are defended more than men on practically everything

• I see people doing that all the time.

• Stereotypically women are associated with fashion, and fashion ultimately gets to decide what people wear. Men are associated with bravado, and this only allows very particular styles. There are limits though; I have heard people criticize women for wearing too revealing of outfits, but mostly it's ultra-conservatives or old women who do this. Personally, I don't conform, and wear whatever I want.

• I don't think most people don't criticize women if they wear revealing clothing, especially at inappropriate times. Im a little surprised by your experience honestly, because I've always noticed the exact opposite of what you're suggesting

• Because you can't call women on their bullshit because they'll label you a misogynist especially if you're right.

• seriously? women get called sluts, nerds, prudes, etc, all the time because of their choice of clothes

• Basically all of my pants and jeans are slim fit/skinny however you wanna call them and I have never been made fun of. Women always compliment my style. Though I don't even listen to dudes, cuz you know... why take criticism from a guy whos wardrobe is made out of 10$ jeans and running shoes.
    And people learned their lesson, never ask for my opinion, cuz I'll be blunt without compromise.

• It's because women have organized a million little rules, guidelines, limits, etc such as "never ask them their ask".

Men are not interested in jumping through hoops in conversation.

• What I hate is that women get wider selection of clothes. Go shopping for clothes and compare number of shoes and clothes. Go on I dare you.

• Who the fuck said I cannot criticize a woman's clothing? We all criticize a friend of mine in my group because she dresses up like a gipsy.

• Uh dude. Girls outfits get criticized more lol

• Everyone wanna see girls in skinny jeans it shows their figure... why would anybody wanna see your legs and ass?

• It doesn't matter. A woman who is stupid about what to wear will pay the ultimate price when she's 25+ and single.

• Because we should not tell women what to to wear.

-every feminst ever.

• Screw PC culture and opinions are like ass holes really every one has one and is entitled to use it but we don't have sit there and be forced to endure the content that comes out of it also

• dude, girls do it so much you wouldn't even know

• Because sloots gonna sloot

• I only really care when a girl with a nice booty wears leggings and gets mad when I look at her

• Because society is gynocentric. Meaning it favors and values women over men.

• Good question

• Women tend to get more sympathy in general, not just with respect to their fashion choices. They are seen as defenseless victims in the same way children are. It's a condition fostered by feminism.

• Haha, welcome to the feminized world.

• Stupid double standards.