Simple question, you're out on a date and the check comes...who pays? Especially if it's a first or second date type of thing, or just something new, someone you're not boyfriend/girlfriend with. Personally I think the guy should pay, maybe a bit old fashioned but I don't expect to pay on dates, especially not the first few. Chances are every time you paid for dinner I bought a new shirt, shoes, jeans, got my nails done or something along those lines that already put me out the same if not more than where ever I'm being taken. That and if it ever does become a boyfriend thing with me you're gonna get treated like a king anyway so I don't think paying for dates is too much to ask.

Most Helpful Guy

• The guy should be paying. If the girl wants to offer then it's a nice gesture on her part, but the guy should be the one paying. ESPECIALLY if he was the one that asked her out.

What Guys Said 2

• In modern times I think people should go Dutch in most circumstances!

• I think the girl should always pay.

What Girls Said 1

• I'm probably going to get raped with down arrows for this, but I feel the same way you do.

I'm old-fashioned in believing that the guy should always pay for the first date. Unless I did the asking and initiating for the first date, that would be the only exception. But if a guy asks me out, he should pay for the first date and next couple, it makes me feel special. Once we're an exclusive couple, then going 'Dutch' or me even paying for his share sometimes works fine for me.

And girls do spend way more time and money getting ready for dates than guys will ever, ever pay and invest time in planning dates. I agree with you there.

Good luck.