Do any of you think that people, in general, have an inherent negative stereotype for the unattractive.

[Not important] Okay I know I've posted a lot of questions concerning looks, but I keep getting inspirations for new ones. I'll be likely to post more, if you wish to read them please visit my channel. lol.

[Now my side-notes are related to the question] I know it's not socially acceptable to be judgmental about one's character based on their outward physical appearance, facial or otherwise. But my theory is that if you show someone a picture of a very attractive person of the opposite sex with a strait face and a picture of a very unattractive person with a strait face to the same individual, and asked him/her which one of the people in the two pictures is an overall nicer person, they would pick the more attractive one.

While I know it's not right to judge people based on their looks, I do notice an instinctual tendency to prefer the company of an attractive person. Once someone does broaden their horizons on a social level and gets to know more people on a more personal level they will prefer the company of the ones they simply like more.

I'm talking just first impressions before people start talking.

As a highly unattractive person, I do notice an instinctual tendency of some people to brush me aside for the more visually appealing. I don't use this as an excuse to feel sorry for myself just so you know, I'm just using this for an example of my personal experiences regarding this theory.

If you feel you might actually think this way, don't be afraid to voice your honest opinion it doesn't mean we'll assume you dislike people based on their looks, it means that you'll be confirming my suspicion about human nature.

Also feel free to voice any of your personal experiences that may relate to this question, aiding or hindering the beliefs behind this.

Thank you for your time. Answer honestly, and think hard.

-Alright, I guess I wasn't clear enough. Which I can understand because I agree. I mean that people, unattractive or otherwise, have an inherent dislike for people who are unattractive. Though this doesn't last long.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've been reading several of your questions and I think the answers have been very interesting when looked at as a more general census of how people feel about "unattractive" people. I think there is something to judging people by their looks. I think most people do it, and most of those who say they don't are lying. There was a study done among health professionals who specialized in working with obese and overweight people. The researchers wanted to know if the professionals had a bias toward far people. Turned out that despite knowing that most cases of obesity are either due to genetics or other factors not controlled by the person in question, the professionals associated them with being lazy or just worse people than those who didn't have weight issues.

That said, from personal experience (and this is based mostly on people at least in their 20's or older) unattractiveness very often coincides with people I don't think are good people. My theory for this is that the human face is shaped with age based on common expressions. Someone who is usually happy has a face that shows it. Someone who is always angry looks different. Just look at bodybuilders (especially the women). The strain they put on their bodies changes their faces. That's why you can sometimes tell peoples nationality just by looking at their face even if the ethnicity is ambiguous.

More as a mistake than anything else a German big brother celeb once said "Someone's looks are the first thing your see" and I think it rings true to your question. In many situations we have to make snap decisions on what kind of a person we're dealing with. Sometimes looks is all we have to go by. If you see someone who doesn't seem attractive you ask yourself, does this extend to their personality? I think it's a great discussion to have, and one that despite what some of the others have said here, can be had again and again. Nothing like creating awareness of people's biases against people they may not consider attractive.

What Girls Said 5

• It's because we're human. As human beings, we're naturally wired to favor those who are more attractive and would make better mates. It all goes back to the cave man days, the strong survived. That's why we find things like physical fitness more attractive. Also, beauty has a lot to do with symmetry. Studies have shown that people we find most beautiful have facial symmetry, it shows you have good genes. It's all animal instinct.

• I will never be outright mean to an unattractive person, I treat them exactly the same as attractive people. Same with weird, or creepy people. Everyone deserves respect, if they're respectful to you. But this is only me. In the past, I have had similar experiences. I've been b*tched on before, and it taught me a lesson. Unfortunately, many people haven't been taught.

• but attraction varies from person to person.. for example I may see someone and think theyr attractive but you may see that person and think theyr completely physically unappealing.. so that whole idea of people choosing to be with attractive people is bs because everyone consider beauty as something different as in beauty is in the eye of the beholder right?

• Sorry, I guess I needed to illustrate this.

It really has nothing to do with what people see in general as attractive and unattractive. This is more of a personal thesis. This includes what your opinions of attractive and unattractive are. Do you feel you have an inherent negative stereotype towards people who are unattractive when you first see them?

• Ohh I see so like literally judging people based on their physical appearance.. as in negatively judging someone based on the fact that I don't think theyr physically attractive? well in that case it makes sense because isn't that the way racism is passed down generation from generation. people who are racist teach their children to link negative thoughts towards someones appearance..i think when were young we think what were told to think but as we get older we experience things first hand our

• Minds then change after that due to what we experience

• This experiment has been done, look it up. Once a person ceases to be a photo and starts talking and moving, it really doesn't mean much.

link

• Yes. I used to be quite unattractive when I was younger. People did treat me different. There are always going to be a handful of people who truly don't judge based on looks and treat everyone fairly, but many don't. People generally prefer attractive people. Some people either dislike, are repulsed, or feel pity for unattractive people; regardless of their own attractiveness.

What Guys Said 5

• Well I'll keep the answer kind of short but I'll give it a shot:

I do think that it's true, and the reason why is that it takes some set of positive attributes to be successful. With beauty, you're more likely to be successful, so people have either learned or evolved to respect those with beauty

I also think that it goes both ways also. Good grooming is pretty inseparable with beauty, so if someone is well groomed and dressed nice, we'll not only look at them as more beautiful but also be more nice to them because we'll see those positive attributes in them. Also, if you can get to know someone and then they're also a good person, you begin to get to see them as more attractive.

I mean yeah it's true, humans like to see good things in other humans and we'll act nice to those humans

As far as personal experience, I kind of had a few problems earlier when it comes to my physical appearance. I had an eye disorder that made my eyes look very unattractive (red and crossed) and also some pretty bad acne. When I got eye surgery and also my acne cleaned up, people definitely were nicer to me the moment they met me. But it wasn't until I got over the lingering insecurities that people truly showed me respect. So I think that in general, you're right, but people don't have a negative stereotype for the physically unattractive specifically as much as it's just a positive outlook on any attractiveness (personality, physical, etc)

• There are some fun sites that let you guess if a person is a serial killer or a regular member of society, this is one you can have a go at link

• hell, people are so shallow, self-centered and vain these days- anything that dnt fit their tiny little world that they consider sexy, attractive or cute- they immediately dismiss it as unattractive, ugly or something to ridicule.

• Everyone judges people by thier looks if they haven't spoken to them or know nothing about them.

• Studies have been done with infants where they have not been socially conditioned ie exposed to cultural influences. Babies will spend more time looking at attractive faces as opposed to unattractive ones, I have a friend who commented that she would take her son to the shopping centre and he would be drawn to attractive people. Our brains are wired to appreciate attractive features.

As you get older you relise that their are other factors that affect attractiveness for example the classic studies of a guy who is dressed in a suit as opposed to a McDonalds uniform rated more attractive in the suit as opposed in the low paying job even though it was the same person same physical features etc

Why has Kate Moss made millions, just because of how she looks, becasue she is unique or special, she has nothing to say just an image and yet she has made millions just from her appearance.

It also cuts the other way some people are biased against attractive people, that is discrinimation against attractive people.

Attractive people are assumed to be more extroverted, popular, and happy and can earn more than unattractive people have earlier sexual activity with more partners etc also both men and women value partners on their attractiveness. Attractive people get more attention, interest and might develop more confidence etc...

If beauty is skin deep the ugly does that cut to the bone...more unattractive people in the world...