Which of the three body types are you?

Those of you familiar with health and anatomy will know there are three basic body types: Mesomorph, Ectomorph, and Endomorph. These three basic body types determine the fitness level you're genetically "built" for as well as risks for disease, etc.

IF YOU ARE A:

Mesomorph

-Mesomorphs are naturally meant to gain weight, but not necessarily in a bad way. Their body WANTS to get big and bulky but it also builds muscle very easily with relatively little exercise. Unless you live an inactive lifestyle that is almost totally devoid of exercise, you will have a naturally muscular build. However, this can also work against you as you WILL get fat if you're not active. Your body wants to get big and it's leaving it up to you to decide whether that extra mass is going to come from fat or muscle. As a mesomorph you are naturally capable of immense short bursts of strength and/or speed, but you run out of steam quick because you've got crap for endurance. Basically, sprinters and powerlifters.

Ectomorph

-As an ectomorph your body is naturally lanky/slim/slender. You don't need to exercise much, if at all, to keep thin. You build lean muscle easily but it's very difficult to add bulk/mass even if you wanted to. Endomorphs' bodies burn fat the easiest and most efficiently. As far as athletic capabilities go, endomorphs are built for endurance. They make great distance runners/marathon runners because they can go forever, despite the fact that their strength and/or speed levels may not necessarily be all that high.

Endomorph

-Endomorphs have it rough. Their bodies naturally WANT to be fat and out of shape and they have to fight VERY hard to prevent that from happening. They don't respond well to exercise and they need to work a LOT harder to keep in shape than mesomorphs and ectomorphs. They need to closely monitor their diet and exercise often or else they will become overweight/out of shape/sickly.

So, which one are you? I'm a mesomorph.

• Mesomorph
  • Ectomorph
  • Endomorph
  • I'm not sure

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd say I'm inbetween a Mesomorph and Ectomorph... But I don't think I could ever get BIG like by lifting weights... I'm more inclinded to leaner muscle growth.

Also I'm slender/thinner looking, but I have a little bit of fat around my mid-section... a little gut, but its nothing too bad I don't think, but I'd love to lose it. Nothing a bit of excercise, and a bit of a better diet wouldn't fix tho.

What Girls Said 28

• Mesomorph. I'm chubby and I always have been pretty much from birth, but I've also always built muscle really easily. Like you said though, it's pretty easy for me to gain weight as well if I'm not doing enough and especially if I'm eating a bunch of junk. Which I try to stay away from for the most part, because it makes me feel crappy and I'm all about fresh, non-processed food, cooking from scratch, etc. I weigh more than I look because I have quite a bit of muscle.

• Mesomorph. I've always had an athletic build. I can lose weight very easily and also put it on easily if I don't exercise. I lost 15lbs in 4 weeks after putting serious effort into my diet and workout routine. Interval strength training works perfectly for me along with some cardio on the side. I gain muscle definition easily so I guess I can "build" muscle more easily then others. I love to eat so...over eating is my greatest down fall :(

• A mixture between them all. I gain body weight at a standard rate. It easily turns to muscle after about 2 weeks of daily running though although according to my family history I'll probably be an endomorph after the age of 35

• ectomorph lol. such funny named categories lol.

• ectomorph .. I like to run and I don't pick up pounds very easy.. if I do I kan loose them in a decent amount of time.

• Ectomorph... I've been slim since young... I want to put on some weight

• Ectomorph :P

• If I had to pick one I would say ectomorph but as I have gotten older I do have to work harder to keep off the weight but I am still a small person but I have a feeling a lot people won't really find out about their body type until they are older. At 18 most people are fit and thin but give them a few years and a few babies for the girls and their body may go from ectomorph to endomorph. I know many people who were thin and lanky in high school but are really big now.

• I'm mesomorph, which is weird because I'm a girl. I gain muscle very easily, I had to stop going to the gym because I was getting a six pack. Serious. I put on weight easily, but I lose it even more easily.

• i'm an ectomorph hands down. I am tiny (5'3" and 90 lb) but I'm one of the if not the strongest girls in my grade

• Mesomorph. It honestly looks great to me :) I have some muscle, some fat and mostly curves in the right places.

• Mesomorph, I'm a linerbacker of a girl.

• Ectomorph, but I'm probably one of the laziest people out there. The only physical thing I do is dance (at home/the club not classes). I think I got very lucky! :)

• Endomorph, and it sucks

• I am an ectomorph. I'm naturally skinny and I don't need that much exercise to lose even a pound or two even though I'm always active. I can run for a lot amount of time just not at a quick pace like you said.

• Mesomorph

• I think I am a mesomorph even though I don't really fit any of those very well.

• i've taken college anatomy, physiology, and micbiology and I've never heard those terms lol

• Http://health.learninginfo.org/body-types.htm

It was one of the first concepts thrown upon me when I started consulting trainers for fitness advice. They needed to know this to tailor plans for me.

• I'm an ectomorph.

• I'm in between mesomorph and ectomorph.

• Endomorph. I gain weight really easily.

• I'm a mesomorph and currently in decent shape.

• Mesomorph with a workout addiction, so I'm pretty satisfied with my body.

• Mesomorph. :|

• Endomorph :(

• Ectomorph

I'm naturally thin. I can eat what I want and never exercise and still stay thin

• Ectomorph

• mesomorph

What Guys Said 28

• You know, I'm not sure. I'm naturally slim and I've never been fat in my life. I lose weight very easily but at the same time I gain weight very easily. I don't easily gain fat. Just muscle. However, I MUST sustain the same amount of food intake or else I will lose that muscle.

• Between Ectomorph and Mesomorph I'm lanky/slim/slender but I am not built for enduance. I was a sprinter in high school and I could put on weight easily but it was lean muscle and definition not bulk. Also I probably could not get fat. How much I eat does not effect my weight.

• Although it is not TOO common there are people out there who blend traits from two of them.

• I have a twin who is no doubt ectomorph and I have broader shoulders than him and probably 30 pounds heavier. But still without question I'm lanky/slim/slender.

• Im Mesomorph, although it is extremely rare that any person is just one single body type of the three, most people are usually at least mixed between two but allot have all three. I'm not quite sure which of the other two I fit into after mesomorph but I think I might be a little of the other two. for the most part I am mainly mesomorph

• Mesomorph describes how I am nowadays. Back in high school and into my mid 20's I was an ectomorph and could run miles each day - I was even the PT leader at my last squadron when I was in the Air force. I like the fact that I can now build my arms and chest really big and fast, but I hate the fact that I can't run as fast and long as I used to.

• This is really interesting, I've never heard of these. The Mesomorph described me perfectly, I had no idea that there was a classification for my body type.

• I'm a total ectomorph..tall, lean, built for running, etc. I've tried to increase muscle mass on several occasions, but my body's metabolism just goes too quickly, I suppose.

• i think I'm a tall mesomorph with a high metabolism lol I guess I'm a tos up between mesomorph and ectomorph

• im tall lankey and skinny which would make me an ectomorph and I gain lean muscle easily. I can gain weight in muscle or fat and lose weight at random though. I can easily get ripped to an extent while keeping it all muscle. and I have both power to bench way more than my body weight and stamina to run like cross country distance and speed like a sprinter in track. what does that make me? am I like in between or is that not possible? this is really cool but kind of confuzing haha

• I'm an ectomorph and so is everybody in my family. I've kind of noticed the endurance running thing. Once I get my pace I can pretty much run all day, lol.

It kind of sucks though. I find it really hard to gain weight and muscle and really easy to lose weight. I need to change up my diet and see if I can't pack on a few pounds. I've let myself get way to skinny.

• I hear ya, I'm 6'2" myself and at this time last year, I was hovering in the high-150's pound mark. Thankfully I've rejoined the gym, and began to lift in addition to doing cardio - I'm now just under 170 pounds.

• should be more choices imo...personally I'm an ecto-meso, but I put meso

• I'm a total ectomorph. I'm 5'9" and 115 pounds. x_x

Though my endurance is pretty crappy and doesn't suit the description.

• Ectomorph #16. A Lot of skinny people in here.

• Sadly, I believe that I'm an Endomorph... DAMNATION !

• Ectomorph.. With my body type, 3-4 hours of physical activity everyday, and still growing, I have to eat about 3,500 calories a day to stay the same weight. And that's still only 135 lbs

• I am most definitely an ectomorph.

• iam a mesomorph I do work out and I do have muscles but I can't gain weight I just stick to my recent weight no matter how much I eat

• I think it's very common for people to be variations of each. Though I fit the Ectomorph type exactly.

• true Ectomorph, 5'11, 137 ilbs, thin but muscular build. and yes I can walk walk walk for miles without getting tired.

• 6 foot, 240 pounds @ 10% body fat... I'd say I'm a mesomorph.

• Given your descriptions, I find that 'mesomorph' appears to fit me. I'm also rather inactive, though, so...

• something between the first 2 .

• I'm an ectomorph aka a hardgainer... I don't know about that "You build lean muscle easily"... we're called hardgainers for a reason, its not easy for us to gain any weight.

• 6ft 180lbs @ 14% body fat you tell me

• ectomorph

• mesomorph, I put on muscle incredibly easily

• Ecto/meso-morph.

• ectomorph :(

• Mesomorph