Why don't guys like fashion?

What do guys really think about fashion? My brother asked me why I dress the way I dress , he says that boys don't like fashion. I said that I couldn't care less what boys think about my style cause I dress for myself. I love fashion (of course not every trend) I call my style a mix of bohemian, street and feminine. I wear a lot of skirts and dresses, but never heels. I like being able to run to the bus, so I always wear converse, even with my dresses. I wear a lot of colors and prints like flower printed leggings and bright pink shirts. My friends say that I always buy the clothes that no one dares to wear. I don't care about brands but I like pieces that stand out. I also like to design. These are similar clothes to what I wear.

link

link

link

So the question, why don't guys like fashion and are girls who dress this way a turn off?

Most Helpful Guy

• I love it when women say that they don't care what men think about their fashion.

Ill bet if men everywhere laughed at you, never talked to you and made fun of you because you wore a garbage bag spray painted in rainbows, you'd care. Not to mention you're asking if guys are turned off by a way a woman dresses.

There are certain styles and looks that men are attracted to. Most of them won't be able to tell you what they are. But I'm going to tell you right now, those pictures are not it.

1. the first one looks like an over sized bag you get at wall mart. Or It looks like she just took her shower curtain and put a rope around her waist.

2. This one is a little better, but the colors remind me of grandma. IT looks like she stole something out of grand ma mas closet and cut it to fit her.

3. The shirt is alright, but the shorts are just awful. You wouldn't catch Gwen Stephani wearing that.

If you are wearing clothes that people say "no one would ever wear that!" That might be a clue to change how you dress. Unless of course its just loud and awesome. Which typically isn't the case.

If you are not getting compliments on your clothes, time to buy new ones.

• Thanks for being honest, but will it make me wear different clothes? No. I do not care if people laugh at me. I'm a thespian and a couple of weeks ago I walked around with a and oversized jumpsuit and a clown wig to promote my play. Also, I never said that people don't want to wear my clothes, they say that they don't dare. I get lots of compliments from girls about my style, I posted the this because I wanted to know why and I guess some guys think I wear garbage bags and grandma prints.

• Question..are you gay?...you sound like a gay fashion critic..

• Cos fashion critics are notoriously gay?

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 32

• First of all, I would differentiate "fashion" and "style"...

Fashion is what everyone else thinks you should wear. I don't really care for fashion, because most fashion trends I see are pretty dumb. And if something comes around that's actually good, it'll be gone from the store shelves very fast, because they need to keep rotating the fashions to keep you buying more stuff.

This is why clothing retailers make 90% of their income off of women. You don't really need to buy clothes that often, but by constantly changing the fashion trends, the industry can make you spend the majority of your time shopping. So "fashion" is a commercial gimick.

Style, on the other hand, is cool. That's kind of your unique trademark or the way you present yourself. I do care about style...although it's not the only thing I care about. And also, style is not just how you dress!

Ultimately, if we guys spent all of our time just caring about how we dress, we wouldn't have time to spend on the other more testosterone-induced activities that drive us to impress you. And caring about how other people dress is kind of silly to us, because we think there are better ways to judge people.

It's not that we never care...it's just that unless we're metrosexuals, there's more important things for us to do...

• Well, fashion is what people tell you to wear. Fashion is a fabricated belief created by corporations and the media in order to control you and tell you that such and such fashion is the way to go. Fashion IS the brand.

Most guys don't care about that because it doesn't do anything for us. All we see are shoes, pants, shirt, jacket/sweater (if on) and see how it looks on you and how you carry yourself in it.

As for the styles you're into, it depends on the guy. We don't know the names of the styles because they don't matter to us. As I said before, we look at how you carry yourself in your clothing. And after we've come to a conclusion (which literally takes SECONDS) we move on.

We don't care about how long it took you to put on make-up.

We don't care about how long it took you to figure out what to wear.

We don't care about why you chose to wear your uggs instead of whatever else you have.

Just don't dress trashy or like you just woke up. That's really it.

And if you don't care what what men think about your style, why ask?

• i don't mind a girl with fashionable taste, what concerns me though is if they are being artificial or materialistic or giving the fear of high maintenance...since you don't wear heals, I am less inclined to believe you being artificial and since you are the experimenting type, you are probably not materialistic but, realistic and deal-oriented when it comes to shopping habits as well

there are also guys who like fashion, a friend from college taught me that very quickly, and she did such a good job that I was able to be more confident and actually go out with more girls

• Just curious, why do you say you're less inclined to believe she's artificial because she doesn't wear heels and is experimental? Not disagreeing or agreeing, I'm really just curious.

• I guess I see your point. I think there are plenty of artificial girls who are obsessed with other aspects of fashion, though, and plenty of girls who like shoes who aren't artificial. Don't really think there's that much of a direct link between the two, but I see where you're coming from.

• Okay, if you apply your case to drill down further for girls that have not as many high heal shoes, you can find realists, i.e. less artificial, and that's where you put the environment and how she dresses together, for example sporting events, picnics, beach, and outdoor adventure...point is, there's a time for shoes and times for not wearing them

• I think you have a pretty interesting style (I like Miley Cyrus' outfit the best). Guys are usually just thinking about other things and are more goal- and action-oriented; perhaps that's why we don't think about our own fashion as much. I mean, we do think about it (I have a very particular style, etc.), but we're not obsessive.

As far as girls are concerned, I like a girl who dresses well. Maybe I'm silly enough to be fooled by the "high-maintenance" stereotype, especially if I see a girl wearing expensive brand-names, etc. But in general, as long as a girl is reasonably well-coordinated and neat and doesn't dress in a "slutty" way (e.g., too revealing, clothes that are too tight, etc.), I don't think most guys will pay attention, myself included, to the way she dresses. Best of luck.

• To put it simply, I think that when a girl puts a lot of effort into her outward appearance, it makes her seem vain. Most guys are taught to put function before form, so the idea that a girl would sacrifice so much practicality and put so much effort into looking good makes her seem like her priorities are all out of whack.

• Because fashion is extremely pointless and is one of the biggest evils of the world. =P

My take: wear whatever the hell you want and don't care about what society thinks.

I stereotype girls who are into fashion, for ex: sometimes I see girls with Louis Vuitton purses, lululemon tops, UGGs, 100$ brand name jeans, etc. Materialistic. Snobby. Arrgogant.

Think about the cons of fashion for a moment:

- Expensive, high-maintenance lifestyle that requires much more money

- Increased demand of sweatshops and child labor around the world

- You lose time by looking through blogs, magazines, deciding what to wear in the morning, etc

• I'd like to hear opposing views rather than just thumb downs.

The question asked for my opinion and it's that fashion is pointless and society shouldn't have to tell you how you should dress. The millions of children working in brand name factories most likely feel the same way. It's ridiculous how people would pay over $100 more to buy a pair of jeans that look exactly the same. Fashion is much more than clothes, it's also about society, labor, profits, capitalism, etc. This is why I hate it.

• That's definitely plausible.

I should restate what I said then: fashion, as only an art form of clothing, is perfectly fine, but what fashion can lead to is what I hate. (i.e. child labor, high-maintenance lifestyles, snobby ungrateful rich girls on shows such as America's Next Top Model, girls putting down other girls because of their clothing, and so forth...) You know what I mean now?

• I was completely on board with you till I read that you think all the girls on americas next top model are all that way-that couldn't be farther from the truth...many, if not most, of those girls came from nothing, some from small towns, some from projects, some were single moms, some from abusive families, and yes some from high class snobby families...but some of those girls worked their asses off to get there..just saying.

• This question is like saying, "Why don't girls like videogames?"

It really depends on the guy.

I'd probably say that most guys aren't nearly as into fashion as girls are. Especially since we dno't have to wear cosmetics and it isn't nearly as advertised to us, as it is to girls.

• I give less than a sh*t about fassion, and the only men I know that actually care, are borderline queer if you ask me...

All I wear are tucked in white t-shirts, blue jeans and boots... If it is winter, I may wear a leather jacket. To me clothing is just something you use so that you won't be naked... not something you define yourself with.

• We care about fashion, hair and makeup far less than you can imagine. Other than personality issues, be value health/fitness, cleanliness and grooming.

• You won't here me say, "you're going out with Lisa!? But her clothes are so 2009!". In other words, I don't give a f*** about fashion. Good style and attractive clothes is not the same thing as fashion in my eyes, it can be, but then it's just a coincidence.

One more thing: I don't like girls that dress bohemian to be fashionable. What makes the bohemian girl attractive is that she don't care about fashion but wears what's comfortable. Bohemian girls should be more spiritual IMO.

• We're guys of course we don't like fashion. We throw on whatever we think is cool and makes us feel comfortable. There are more important things in life for us to worry about than fashion. Sports is one of our highest priorities. Fashion is one of the highest priorities for women so deal with it.

Although gay guys love fashion. The first dress is awful. The rest are ok.

• Why don't (MOST girls) like football, farting, punching each other, yelling at tvs, not sharing your emotions...the list goes on,

im not talking about everyone but for most its not interesting, to be honest we care about what certain features look like (not just t*ts and ass but mostly) than the clothes themselves.

• Well is because fashion is most generally for women than guys. I myself have a small fashion but and check that I'm color coordinated and whatnot.

And most guys don't really care what women wear unless it's really bad. It all depends on their tastes. I don't really care what a women wears since I mostly look for personality.

• I disagree with your statement entirely. Guys have their own fashion. "Jocks" Wear their sh*t (Jerseys, Armless shirts, SHirts cut down the side) "Preps" have their own stuff (Aero, Hollister, A&F, etc) "Emo/Scene" kids have their style (Hot Topic, Spencers) "Skaters" Have their style (Skateboard branded merch like DC, Fallen, etc) You have to look at the steryotypes. Theyre fashion styles and trends.

• I don't take time learn all the designers and research it but I to like wear what I think looks, if that what you mean. I like fiirst 2 but I the shorts on the 3rd where really ugly. actually the boots the 1st girl was wearing have always been wicked sexy to me especially with right skirt. If I think it looked good it will definitely be a turn on

• I like girls who dress nice (:

and I know I'm gonna get grilled for this but I like fashion too not in a like omg I'm gay type of way but I like to look nice so I dress nice and know a thing or two about fashion. I'm not up on reading vogue or anything like that.

I think bohemian is alright not my fav but it's alright

Personally I like feminine and casual. I love when a girl dresses up. Like a button down blouse, slacks and heels (:

• fashion sucks!...n specially if it's tried by a girl who should stay 1000 Km away from it!

if what you are wearing is lookin nice on you then why would you wanna go for some weird clothing which freaks a normal guy out?

• I'm in love with winter fashion. Believe me, not all guys hate fashion.

• Cause the straight guys don't like fashion, whereas the gay guys will point out if your thong doesn't match your bra. lol

• I'm a guy and I had no idea what Bohemian style was until I saw these pictures. I agree with the comments about girls not liking sports and violence. I play baseball but it doesn't upset me if a girl doesn't care about it.

• not all guys are like that I like to look nice so yea I pay attention to how I look and I'm not g@y. and most men are not turned of by a woman who dress's nice.

• Straight guys just want something that doesn't smell and fits comfortably. I don't care about fashion since I am not going to dress the way some gay guy in France things I should dress. I don't let other people dictate what I do, what I believe and how I dress.

• It's like asking why do men love sports?

• fashions dumb. wear something appropriate but if a girl I to into clothes I wonder how interesting she really is. could be just clothe deep.

• I love fashion! I wanna be the third ever fella to be on the cover of vogue, hahaha.

• hey I like fashion. fashion is not only girls.

if you want to see fashionable stuff?

• It's boring.

• fashion doesn't like me

• we don't have time for it! we d rather watch sports, rather than cloth!

• Guys who like fashion are usually gay...

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 7

• I'm pretty sure guys just care if you look good, not necessarily if what you're wearing is "fashionable". If it happens to be fashionable and flattering too, then more power too you, but there are plenty of fashionable outfits that look ridiculous, and unfashionable outfits that look great.

Sure there may be some guys who are really into fashion, but I think most would just find a girl who's into fashion a turn-off if they're too into it (spend too much time, effort, money on it).

Of course it's a matter of opinion, though, so answers will vary.

• I think it's societal. Girls are taught, "Oh! Isn't shopping for clothes FUN?!? =DDD" and boys are taught, "If you care about the way you dress, you're a fairy." I won't get into my long crusade on societal gender equality, but suffice it to say that in my opinion? Those ways of thinking are outdated and they should be changed. Unfortunately, I think it's going to take a loooong time for that to happen.

And also, the reason I think it's societal/cultural is because I knew a guy from France who was completely, completely, 110% straight, but who enjoyed going to the fashion shows in Paris (he also liked go karts, airplanes, and photography, to name a few varied hobbies). In that society, kissing other men on the cheeks and carrying bags is a-ok for a man, and Paris is a fashion powerhouse of the world, so it would stand to reason that it would be more acceptable for a man to be in to fashion.

...lol, I don't know if that's the kind of answer you were looking for, but eh, w/e.

• This is genius, actually. I agree with you totally. Our progressive world, all that, which will not change, eyy? Haha.

• Most guys want to see girls in something classic and flattering. And often in something revealing. :P Many things in fashion are neither.

Most fashions similar to the kinds you posted are different from what the majority of other high schoolers wear (from your age, I'm guessing you're in high school), and to many guys, that is a bad thing. Whether they realize it or not, a lot of times it seems their opinion on it is formed almost unconsciously.

But honestly, as long as you can pull it off, it won't be a turn off. I dress similarly to that and hey, haters gonna hate. ;)

• Cute outfits. Some guys like fashion some don't. My boyfriend does. He asks for my opinions every now and again. He's not brand obsessed; he just cares about his appearance.

• The concept of fashion sucks, I don't need some rich magazine editor telling me what to wear.

• Guys like to look good 2 but most of them aren't into fashion like us girls are

• my brother loves fashion and he's straight