Should I get a navel piercing or not?

Reasoning:

I really like piercings, but for career reasons, I cannot have any on my face. I don't like nipple or genital piercings, so a navel piercing sounds like a good options.

Considerations:

1. I want to know if it'll look good or not. I won't get one if I can't pull it off. I know that's up to personal opinion, but I'd like you to leave yours.

I know I don't have perfect abs, but I've started a six day a week regimen to tone my body.

link

2. My husband dislikes any an all piercings, but he dislikes navel piercings the most because of "bad experiences". All his ex girlfriends had navel piercings, and they all turned out to be kind of psycho. There's one part of me that says I should take his feelings into consideration and not get it because he's my husband, and whether or not he finds me attractive matters. But there's another part of me that says it's my body and I can do what I want with it. A navel piercing is not that extreme, and I can always take it out. Also, I have the feeling he'll get used to it. He didn't want me to go blonde at first, but now he thinks my blonde hair is cute.

Please impart your wisdom {or just your opinion} upon me. Thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• Ok, I have mixed feelings here.

I can kind of see where your husband might be coming from. Not a big fan of the concept of body modification (piercings or tattoos). I don't even really care for earlobe piercings on women, and I know those are very socially acceptable.

On the other hand...navel piercings are really sexy! More so than any other piercing. I may not like the idea of piercing in and of itself, but I won't deny that on a lot of girls, navel piercings are hot.

The other factor here is that you say you like piercings, so that's a part of who you are. I believe that people should be who they area...which I suppose is the main reason I don't care for body mod, because you should be happy with the way your body came. But I guess you could also equally argue that you wouldn't be yourself if you didn't like piercings.

So ultimately, I think, if you really want one, you should get one. However, I suggest that you try to persuade your husband to agree with you. True that you don't strictly need his consent since it is your body, but since you are married, your feelings are tied together. So if you do something that hurts him, it will end up hurting you in the long run. I doubt that he finds the navel piercings unattractive since he dated girls who had them, but it may bring forth some emotional pain for him. Last thing you want to do is remind him of an ex-girlfriend!

So reason with him. Take his feelings into consideration, and hopefully he will take yours into consideration as well. That's what I would do.

What Guys Said 13

• personlly I like navel piercing, and ears (only two one each ear at most)only.

to many come off as sluty and unattractive...

i hate lip the most, it gets in the way of kissing.

but if your husband says no then maybe talk it over with him first.

and so longs your not crazy, then it should be fine then right?

btw navel takes the longest to heal and most likey to get infected be carefully

i had a friend that got really sick because she didn't maintain it properly. it turned all green

i called her green peas because of that. hahahah

• Just don't bother with belly button piercing anymore. "everybody" already has that. Boring by now, and hidden most of the time. What's the point of a hidden piercing. They don't attract us guys nor push us away. It's just last year's piercing (well, 2004-ish).

• It'll look good, just make sure you get the right one that fits your style.

Get it. You're right on all points. However, he did mention he had bad experiences with girls with navel piercings so he might put up a wall in regard to the psychoness he remembers and that you "might have now." Just comfort him and tell him you're the same person and that those girls were just coincidences and have nothing to do with whether they have navel rings or not.

• MY OPINION!:

It is your body and you should have the freedom to do whatever you want with it! End of story!

Are you telling me that if you decided to let yourself go and eat your way to be an obese ball of grease of 300 lbs of a woman he will leave you? Well, such marriage won't be a good thing to have,isn't it? Not to say that you should balloon up to 300 lbs because that would be very stupid of you but still...

• Respect your husband on this matter. (although a navel piercing probably would work on you, you're slim and young enough for it)

• NO. They are VERY Unattractive.

• I think piercings are unattractive.

And if your husband dislikes them, why would you get one?

Do you really NEED one?

• you'd look fine with a white gold post in there.

swear to him you'll never go psyco

tell him it'll make you feel sexy and that it will be good for him! (that better be true before you say it)

see if that works

• hell ya. and you body looks way sex you should get one. I think their hot

• I like them I think they are hot.

Now hubby does have a say in this? Doesn't he?

• definately.

• piercings rule

• It will come out if it doesn't work out...

What Girls Said 5

• This is a bit sticky. I'll start with the actual piercing first.

Navel piercings are easiest to hide and the jewelry you can put in there can either hang and dangle to attract a lot more attention, or you can put a simple curved barbell in there to maintain the piercing and at least decorate it.

Now in terms of your husband, simply because he had bad experiences with ex girlfriends and navel piercings, it doesn't have a single thing to do with you. You're his wife, not some chick he's dating and he should understand your level of importance to him and that you chose to marry him and are married to him now.

If anything, he might be afraid that the piercing gives you a sense of confidence that turns into arrogance and unruliness in the relationship. Sit and talk to him about that and reassure him your reasons for getting one and that a simple piercing will not change your personality. He might not agree but it is exactly as you said, it's your body. If this piercing will express a part of you, then let it. Reassure him that he has nothing to worry about and that you're doing this for yourself.

• You could pull off a naval piercing, you have a nice body. But if your husband doesn't like it, you should talk to him first. It's not as easy as just taking it out, you have a giant hole in your stomach (I have one too).

So, my advice is just talk to him about it, let him know you love him, and it's not going to change how you feel about him.

• i have a naval piercing, and theyre overrated. honestly. if I didn't look weird without it, or if I didn't have a hole in my belly button, id take it out. but honestly, if you want a piercing that bad, go for it. :3 but have you ever though of something out of the norm? like hip piercings.. I think theyre super pretty. look into other piercings maybe.

• You don't need *abs* to pull off a navel piercing, just a flat stomach, which you have. I say go for it. It's pretty much no-risk, just cover it up or take it out if you or someone else doesn't like it.

• i think you should talk to your hubby about this before you act... :)