There's a lot of hating on men's jean shorts. I have a few pairs. Yes, I know they're out of style, but I think they look good. They fit like my cargo shorts fit, knee-length and appropriate width. They are not cut-offs.

Aside from being "out of style" (which I could give two shits about), is there any reason they're inherently unflattering that I'm not aware of?

Mine fit like this:

link

NOT like this:

link

I suspect the latter image is why they get so much flak.

Most Helpful Girl

• They just look goofy. And that second image is atrocious, but that's not what I'm talking about. There's just something very off about them, very much the opposite of any kind of style. I'm no fashion maven, but I think I'd actually be embarrassed to be with a guy who was wearing them.

• This comment confirms my suspicion that there is no logic behind fashion.

They look "off". Very vague. I honestly wear them to break the mundaneness of wearing cargo shorts every day. Plus I associate them with heavy metal and skate punk music which I'm a fan of.

Different social circles will associate different clothing articles with different meanings.

What do you associate them with that makes them seem "goofy?"

• I can't totally justify it. In general I like the idea that you should wear whatever makes you comfortable, but I just can't get on board with this one. Maybe some of it is a big city thing. I think of jean shorts as something of a rural look. They would be really out of place in most of my social settings. Almost like a guy wearing overalls or something.

• Interesting. I live in the suburbs and on a college campus, where, while not TOO common, they do occur.

What Girls Said 4

• Jean shorts only really seem to work when you're a 16 year old boy on a skate board.

They just look a bit confused - like a guy can't decide if he's going casual or not. I wouldn't say they are unflattering, shorts just generally look better - in my opinion - in other materials like a cargo short. The material fits the style better.

But if you're comfortable with them I don't see a problem with it; they aren't as embarrassing as some of the style around nowadays.

• Haha firstly I must say that the latter image made me laugh a lot.

Secondly, those shorts look great to me. I love them!

One reason they can look not so good is if you have short legs, but even then you can get them a suitable length.

I can't think of a reason why they'd be considered unflattering. I guess it's just preference. As for them being "out of style" - I didn't even know they were!

• lmfao the second picture was just hilarious. But anyhow, I think the jean shorts in the first link look great and if yours are like that, by all means go for it. I don't hate jean shorts, as long as you can pull them off. If you think they look good, then you should wear them! At the end, its all about how comfortable you feel in what you wear.

• Girls worry way too much about the fashion they wear, and not enough about if they actually like what they are wearing. I am guilty, I have worn a pair of shoes that KILLED my feet but they were so popular I just HAD to have them. I learned ym lesson. In my school a lot of guys wear jeans shorts. So I don't really see the deal with it. If it is comfortable to you then go for it. Don't just wear someting (or not wear something) because it is not "popular." As long as you are happy :)

What Guys Said 3

• wear what's comfortable regardless of what people think . if you like it, wear it. I dress in motorcycle riding jeans that have reinforced padding on the knees, thighs, crotch, and other areas that need to be protected in the event of protecting from motorcycle road rash. I like them regardless of what other people say.

• Jean shorts aren't jeans and they aren't shorts so yeah. they fit in their own category.

Lol the 2nd pic was funny

• hahahahahahahahahahahahahahha nice well I think jean shorts are ok.i don't have more than 1 pair if that many but I'm with you bout "y are they going outa style thing but I like mine and ima wear them if I want to