For girls - Is it a myth that shaving encourages hair growth?

This is meant for girls.

Is it a myth that shaving encourages hair growth?

Are there particular areas where the myth is actually true?

What is the best way to clean a girl's back of the minute hair? Of course shaving is not an option for the back.

Do lotion or cream hair removers also encourage hair growth?

Most Helpful Girl

• hair does not grow back any thicker or faster...its a myth...it only grows back stubbly and looks thicker because of the stubblyness. if you want it to grow back nicely...wax! or pluck...those hair cream removers like Nair and Veet work but they come back just like when you shave. However hair cream removers...smell awful..ew really! except they work really well...i like waxing except it irritates and pulls on my skin...and shaving causes bumps and hate that too...so far I like the hair cream removers because they don't cause any irritation and are easy to use except I don't know if they're good for your skin...do some research. hoped I helped :)

What Girls Said 6

• I would say it's generally not a myth - maybe for people who have blond hair that's already thin, shaving wouldn't affect it much. But darker hair does tend to grow thicker if you keep shaving it. That's true for pretty much any area in my experience.

For body hair like that, I would recommend waxing. People say it does eventually cause your hair to grow back thinner and more slowly.

• Ok. I can relate your response to my case. No, not me; my partner. :)

• No, it's not true, it just seems like that because the hair grows in all at once. Cutting a hair, which is essentially what shaving does, can't change the rate of hair growth. Neither do lotion or cream hair removers.

For the back, waxing or bleach would probably be good. I've actually used Smooth Away for, like, my arms and stuff, and it actually works. :P

• Great point - about shaving being essentially the same as cutting hair. Never looked at it that way. Thanks.

• Its a myth. At least in accordance to my body.

I have been shaving my legs for years and when I let it grow back it is still blonde and the same of amount of hair that I started with.

Plucking/waxing actually encourages LESS growth/less coarse/lighter in color, in my experience. Which is pretty sweet.

I have no experience with lotion and cream hair removers, but the smell alone seems like it is enough to burn faces off.

When you say a girl's back, what exactly are you referring to?

• Thanks to all your points. As to your last question, I meant, not the butt, but the back. Everybody seems to have such a smooth and spotless back and I wonder what they do.

• Well I'd imagine theyre either born with it(no hair on the back) or they get it waxed.

I don't know how much it would cost or even if you can get it waxed, since most of the time its peach fuzz. But I have seen some lower back hair that is not peach fuzz, but like beard hair. And that's very unfortunate haha.

• For the first question yes shaving increases hair growth. Which is why girls leg hair goes from soft to cactus prickly when they start shaving. I don't know about the other stuff.

• Shaving does not make your hair grow faster and thicker, or whatever. your just cutting it, that's like saying, when you cut your hair or 'trim it' down it grow back thicker? nooo, it will always stay the same thickness, though it may make it darker.

• Do lotion or cream hair removers also encourage hair growth? No

Shaving does do that for some people, the hair can grow up thicker and darker

• Yeah - I think it would be fair to say that effects of shaving may vary with so many other variables.

What Guys Said 1

• In my expereince it's true... I've had a beard since 8th grade, but its always been peach fuzz... Went into the Army and you HAVE to shave every day, whereas I didn't before... Basic was 3 months, and after that 3 months of shaving every day I could grow a full thick beard at the age of 19...