Girls, why (lots of) makeup?

I don't get it, here are some reasons why not to wear it:

1. If you're pretty you don't need it, if you're not it doesn't help

2. It looks like you try too hard

3. It looks like you don't like yourself so you put on a fake face

4. When kissing we want to taste your lips and not lipstick

So why do you do it? There must be a reason which I don't see.

Most Helpful Girl

• LOL, wow you got a lot of answers and they all say pretty much the same thing.

I don't wear make up. I rarely wear Eyeliner. But that's it.

I have found that it actually makes my skin worse...

I find it fake and unnatural.

Some girls like to wear it for fashion reason or whatever but I find it to be a waste of time.

I like to think I have a pretty face and wouldn't want to give any one the wrong impression that my skin is perfect. Because its not.

A lot of the times girls wear so much make up because there is so much to live up to these days and they feel they do not meet the satisfactions of men if they don't.

So simply put...

Why?

Society.

:)

What Girls Said 42

• Most women have forgotten the purpose of makeup. The trick about it, is to not look like you have it on. Makeup is used for many reasons, cover flaws, and/or highlight best features. However, most women forget it is the "effect" of makeup that we ultimately want to achieve. If its put on right, a girl will always look better, and more polished. Whether its light /day makeup or a little heavier/ night. Guys shouldn't really noticed it. That's the point. If you do, then she didn't do a good job. Oh! One more thing, a lot of times women put makeup to make themselves feel better and not always for men.

• I have some acne scars and sun damage on my face. I am very pale so as a result all of my 'flaws' are within view. The make up I wear looks natural and you really can't tell I have it on. I don't feel like I am trying too hard. This boosts my self esteem and makes me feel better about myself. I can't afford a chemical peel so this is the best choice. If I am dating a guy and he doesn't like the taste of lipstick then I will wipe it off before I kiss him.

• This is my first answer (^.^)

In general, many girls feel that they need to pile on the make-up in order to measure up to society's image of beautiful. They want to look like celebrities. They want to impress men.

I, personally, wear makeup as an extension of my outfit. I think of makeup as just another outlet for self-expression. It's fun and great to experiment with. It washes off at the end of the day and doesn't permanently change your appearance. I love red lips because to me it screams 'badass'. Nothing I do is to impress men. I dress, act and accessorize the way I want to. But the majority of the time, I don't wear any. If you take good care of yourself, ladies, you won't 'need' any of it.

I look nothing like a magazine model, and that's okay I don't want to.

the models in the magazines scare me :P

• The media present all these beautiful women who have clear skin and a fantastic natural glow, we try to achieve that or be "up to standards" as today we're all pressured to look like we've been airbrushed..

Put a magazine in front of a guy, all the girls with perfect features are "fit" and you want to be known as attractive.

Plus, wearing some makeup makes us feel more comfortable and complete. It isn't always about what others think of us, it's how us girls feel.

Why all of a sudden are guys doing their hair? Wearing jewellry, dressing a certain way, trying to get 6pacs? Oh right, because the Media are presenting guys with amazing 6pacs and amazing everything.. and of course, girls find them attractive but it doesn't necessarily mean we write off normal looking guys.

• Makeup feels funny on my face, and it's too muh to deal with anyway. Even like foundation and stuff.. I just feel gunked up :p so I don't wear it. Sometimes I feel like my skin doesn't look as clear as those who wear concealer and stuff but I get over it pretty fast. If someones gonna judge me for the amount of makeup I wear I don't wanna talk to them anyway

• 1. well I feel prettier in it

2. haha...ugh

3. there's always something to fix but no I like myself

4. yeah I wear lip gloss actually and it's like coca cola flavored. (lip smackers stuff) my boyfriend likes it

• Most guys don't even notice girls have makeup on.

They don't realize truly what a girl looks like without makeup.

• haha well makeup is supposed to be used to enhance the features not redo them

For instance I usually just wear some foundation, blush, and mascara. Foundation covers little blimshes I have, blush pops the cheek bones, and mascara makes the eyelashes longer or thicker.

Now...What girls do now-a-days is put on lots of eyeline till it looks like their eyes are getting sucked into a blackhole, 5 different color eyeshadows on their eyes, and blush so hard it looks like they got popped in the face.

I never understood why girls do this either. Maybe its because they feel more mature when they put it on or they really truly aren't comfortable in their on skin.

• i use eyeliner. period. and yeah actually it can enhance your beauty when your not naturally easy on the eyes. as long as its used in moderation and for the right reasons its perfectly reasonable. the reason why you men think make up doesn't make a women look better is because you see girl who is attractive you don't realize that she's wearing makeup (because she has done it in moderation and correctly) so when you actually notice that a women is wearing makeup is because she has put too much on and therefore she is unattractive. you think that attractive girls don't wear makeup because you don't notice that she has on makeup.

• its all about confidence, most girls wear it to just try and feel better about themselves and whatnot. I personally hate makeup and feel its a waste of time to put on, and I only wear it when I have to (i.e. special occasions, parties, etc) but just going to the store or to work or something like that, I don't need 4 lbs. of makeup caked on my face. not to mention I have sensitive skin so things like coverup just cause me to breakout. and also especially through high school, so many people were use to seeing me without makeup that whenever I wore it people were like WOAH! ha ha so yea it just has never been a priority in my life to always have it on.

• Because we feel insecure about the way we feel. Now, be honest, do you compare an ordinary girl with girls you see on p*rn videos? Now, I mean facial-wise, breasts, waist, hair? You would be surprised how many guys categorise many girls as 'ugly' or 'boring' because ordinary girls don't live up to their 'fantasy' needs.

Girls wear make-up to be noticed and to make a good impression towards guys, and also to cover blemishes or scars on their faces. I mean, you yourself could be trying too hard yourself by putting on too much aftershave or hair gel in order to look good - that can be a major turn-off for a girl!

Just remember that not every girl feels confident about the way she looks, so as a result, make-up is used.,

• basically because tons of girls are insecure. not everyone has the perfect skin and lips or w/e but instead of coming to terms with it they over do the make up.

some make up that's natural looking is one thing but so many people over do ittt. yuck.

• Guys gawk and drool over the girls who wear a pound of make-up.

Even on here,I'm not gonna say names,but there are quite a few female users who are..."using" pictures of site models,and the girls are orange from the orange tan,have a pound of eye make-up on etc and guys on here compliment them.

• It's for the other girls. It's all really a competition to see who's the prettiest and stylish and such. Occasionally it is for our boyfriends and other srecial people, but girls use it to be prettier than other girls. I personally rarely use makeup because it's essentially lie paint, but some girls are in love with it.

• It's not to make us look pretty, it's to touch up on certain things. Like I personally don't like to wear make-up that looks like I'm wearing makeup lol. I only put a darker shade on my eyes and a little bit of eyeliner (also use the eyeliner for mascara) to basically show off my eyes. As for lip stick I hate it, I only use a shiny coat sometimes vaseline to make my lips a little more showy but that's basically it. So yeah make up doesn't make us look pretty, we just use it to show what's pretty about us, unless you're bad at make-up. . .then it kinda looks like a clown that was recently run over o.O

• i only wear eye make up. I think it makes my eyes pop. lol it enhances your beauty. I don't wear lipstick or blush or foundation. eyeliner, mascara, and shadow. that's all. I don't think I'm ugly I don't have a confidence problem. it makes me feel better. I feel put together rather than a hot mess

• I do it because it looks nice. I don't cake it on like a lot of girls. Just maybe some eye liner and a little eye shadow. I shoot to enhance what I already have instead of trying to hide behind make up. And it's not because I think I'm ugly without it. It's simply because I like to wear it. Half the time guys can't even tell anyway. lol

• well this usually starts back in high school. When you see most girls wearing makeup, you feel that you should to. Girls like being noticed by other girls, it gives them confidence, which will eventually get boys to notice you. And then putting on makeup becomes kind of like a habit.

• I don't wear anything except mascara to make my eyelashes a bit longer looking, light blush for a healthy glow and that is it. Most women wear it because they want to look fresh. In old times women would put blood on their cheeks and lips to make themselves appear more vital ---

• girls who wear a lot of make up should do 2 things

1. make sure thier neck matches thier color of thier face

2. and love what they truly are

i wear eye make up and "rarely" wear foundation on blemishes

lipstick is so pointless unless like your going to a serious fancy get together!

it taste weird and feels wierd

i perfer lipsmackers its funny and flavorful!

• They say that It is to hide flaws, on where we feel insecure. I don't even remember the last time I wore make-up. I don't think I ever have...Maybe a little bit for dances or an event, but that's about it. I don't really care what people think of me. They should like me for who I am and not what I can pretend to be.

• Did you ever think that maybe we just like wearing it? I only wear eye make up and most people can't even tell the difference between when I wear make up and when I don't but I always feel a little bit better with it on.

• There are different reasons to wear different products. Foundation evens out skin tone. Concealer covers up spots. Mascara lengthens lashes. Eyeliner defines eyes. Eyeshadow adds a little pizazz. Blush adds some color to the cheeks. Lip gloss adds some shine and sometimes color.

I never wear a lot of makeup. I don't put on a mask. Most girls use makeup to enhance what they already have, not create something totally new {at least most girls I have come in contact with}.

• Its fun. I don't really look much different with or without. But I just like putting on eye shadow and mascara just for the fun of it. I don't think makeup is as serious as some people tend to make it out to be. To me its just like mixing and matching clothes. Does it really matter if I wear blue eye shadow one day and none the next. I look the same, some of us just like the fun of easily creating different versions of ourselves to match our moods of the day!

• well I wear a very natural looking foundation to cover blemishes and even out my skin tone, and I hate when girls wear too much and look fake aswel. guys often think I am not wearin make up which I think is great =)

• Well umm make up is usually a cover up its not a new face or anything its jst lyk a beauty enhancer us girls hav blemishes and much more andf its rare not to hence the reason 4 using makeup. However I completely agree for the unnatural look there's no need and guys don't even like it. And for me its not lipstick its lipgloss and my lipgloss tastes good ull probably lyk it :)

• here are some reasons why we use them.

1. if we are pretty we want to look MORE pretty. if we are not, we just want to look better.

2. we like feeling feminine.

3. at least I don't use too much lipstick when I'm gonna kiss my guy...but we are not always gonna kiss someone right? so we use sometimes.

I personally don't use too much make up. only on parties and stuff... but those are the reasons why most of the girls use.

• I only wear eyeliner and mascara.

I don't understand why girls paint on their faces. I think it's because they have self-esteem issues. Or they think they look good with makeup caked on their face. Or because they think they're cool because they have a purse full of makeup.

• Some women feel naked without it. Personally I do it for myself, of course I don't wear make-up everyday but when I do it's just to enhance certain features.. Why? ... Why not :)? I'm also in the modeling business so when I work it's pretty obvious that I have to.. People have told me I look great without make-up, but that doesn't mean I'm going to never wear make-up. Every woman, whether she's fug plain, or attractive, does look BETTER with correct make-up ;)

• Idk but I just don't have the talent for putting on make up well like a lot of my friends so I just don't lol. which also means I can get ready in 5 mins while my friends take hours.

• More from Girls
    12

What Guys Said 3

• Amen to wearing less makeup. Most women need very little to none to get by and actually beautify themselves. A woman's natural beauty doesn't needs to be covered with multiple layers of chemicals. Organic or low pesticide amounts are better. :)

• Its normally a self-confidence thing. Makeup makes you feel amazing when your in it, if your inclined that way, so it boosts your self confidence so much. As well as that, a lot of people say they don't it cos men wouldn't see them the same but from what I've noticed, girls wear makeup to please other girls. They have to do it in a certain way, not too much not too little, more foundation than bronzer or blusher, lala. Cos if not girls will say something. Not even make fun of them, just something like

'Hmm. Wearing a lot of makeup today, aren't you?'

And that's like, f***ing, stabbing someone in the arse with a katana, for a lot of chicks, 'cos they're desparate for that girls approval. Desperate for all girls approval, like.

I think if your wearing it for that reason, though, you should hang back. 'Cos that's not cool, like. But that's the world, you know? Girls try and do makeup like lads try and get laid.

Anyway, I wear makeup 'cos of how feminine it makes me look. My Samantha, who very rarely wears makeup, if anything a little eyeliner, never complains. She never even notices when I wear lipgloss, LOL.

Btw lips don't have a taste, LOOOL.

• i agree if makeup must be worn I think keeping it to a minimum

"i wouldent chase a painted face"