Bumps on my legs and the back of my arms?

I get bumps all over my legs and the back of my arms that look like goose bumps but I have them all the time. Starts just above my ankles. It's not razor burn either and I've used all kinds of lotions and stuff but they are still there. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

my sister said my pores are just sensitive..and I've heard lots of people say they have it too and say there is no way to get rid of them.. but I want really smooth legs and arms. :(

does anyone know anything more about this situation. I'll be okay if you tell em there isn't anything I can do about them.

Most Helpful Guy

• Go to your dermatologist, and talk to him about Keratosis Pilaris. The more commonly used term is "chicken skin" (personally I don't like to think I have the skin of a chicken :P ). I found that there is a way to make your skin smooth, or at least smoother, by just rubbing the affected areas with Vasaline Lotion every night before bed. However you might still have red spots.

The condition is genetic, where your skin produces too much keratin (hence the first part of the name "Keratosis"). If there's too much keratin, then hairs get trapped underneath the skin's surface and becomes inflamed, which leads to those bumps you see. But don't worry, they don't stay forever. Eventually people outgrow the condition. I think almost 50% of the population has it, so it's nothing more than an eyesore.

In the mean time, talk to your dermatologist, and use Vasaline Lotion. I hope this helps!

What Guys Said 1

• if they are red then the hair follicles are infected, stop putting lotion on your skin keep it clean and it should disappear

What Girls Said 4

• I have them on my arms too - I really hate them because sometimes they look really red and blotchy. I used to get pretty self concious about them; I still don't like them, but I'm a bit more - eh, I don't know what to do about them, I can't get rid of them so... oh well.

I've tried some things with some results.

I've used ex-foliating/moisturising bars - one really good one was from Lush that worked pretty well. It got rid of some of the bumps- and smoothed the others out so even though they were there, they weren't rough or textured.

Other than that I just make sure I wash them well - work up a good lather. It keeps them nice and smooth. Dry properly. And moisturise afterwards.

Other than that I don't know how to get rid of them - but the results from scrubbing and exfoliating is pretty good.

• you have chicken skin, there's no cure

link

• Fuck......awh damn ittt.. oh well....geez, that sucks rofl

• If you have rough, bumpy skin you may have a condition known as Keratosis Pilaris. Keratosis Pilaris (or KP) is a common dry skin condition that looks like goose bumps. These bumps can either appear skin-colored or red and are most commonly found on the arms and legs. Your dermatologist can tell by examining your skin whether you have KP.

KP is caused by a build-up of keratin (a protein that makes up skin, hair and nails). Keratin can form hard plugs in skin's hair follicles, which creates rough bumps. KP generally runs in families, and is more common among people with atopic dermatitis (eczema).

While KP is not a serious problem, it can be unattractive. The good news is that KP generally goes away on its own as you get older and can be reduced with a daily skin care regimen. You can reduce skin roughness and redness by taking lukewarm showers and baths, using a mild soap-free cleanser, and applying an exfoliating moisturizer every day.

• I have them on my arms and thighs, the best thing I've done about them is using one of those rough shower mittens and scrubbing really freakin hard in the shower. I don't know if they're the exact same things that you have, or if they are if you're willing to scrub your skin till it's raw, but as long as I maintain that they go away.