Do you think girls and guys judge female attractiveness differently?

My best friend has modeled for Victoria's Secret, so she obviously has a slamming body and beautiful face. Girls always say she's OK or average, nothing special. Guys say she's hot and one of the most stunning women they've ever seen. Do you think girls rate her lower out of jealousy, or do you think they judge attractiveness differently than guys?

Most Helpful Girl

• From experience, I think that girls judge other girls much more critically than guys do. Since most girls do have body insecurities it's easy for other girls to use that against them. If a guy got mad at another guy and said, "Well, at least my triceps are bigger!" I doubt the other guy would care that much. But if a girl got mad at another girl and said, "Well, at least I'm not fat. And by the way my boobs are bigger." then the girl would most likely be really upset and offended. I don't think that all girls say things like this to other girls because they are insecure or jealous. For the most part, I think it's because girls know that saying these things will upset the girls they say it to. Girls tend to be petty, mean, and drama starters.. Not all of them, but a large majority. I've said things like this to girls I didn't like, not out of insecurity or jealousy at all, but simply because I knew it would bother them. But I do agree with you that there are a lot of girls who say things like this because they are insecure or jealous.

• One time a guy tried to insult by calling me ugly I was very confused. it was the first and last time a guy tried to insult in that way

• Took the words right out of my mouth.

What Guys Said 16

• Women kind of have crappy taste in women ...ok, maybe average at best. I think most women know the kinds of girls that most guys go for, they just try to tell us guys that the lesser attractive ones are hotter and call the ones we think look good "sluts" (as if that will change most mens' minds).

• True true, they can try, but our minds will never change, it might bend, but won't change

• I think a lot of girls let attitude judge it... If a girl thinks a girl is a bitch she is usually over critical of that girl purely on attitude, they don't consider how she looks and that other people could see something there. I don't think many guys care about a girls attitude. Anyway most girls are different around guy friends than they are around their girl friends.

• Because to our very cores, men and women are wired differently with things like this. A man can look at a woman and tell within 10 seconds or so if he's attracted to her. For women, it happens in stages. She needs to feel a connection with him, she looks for a lot of the long term things before she commits to him.

So when you have girls competing with each other (whether they like it or not), they are going to feel feelings of jealousy. If they stand to lose nothing against another woman, then they will judge more accurately. Even still though, what one woman's preference of beauty can be completely against what another woman thinks is beautiful.

One of my buddies is a bigger guy. He's not fat, he's just big and tall. So he likes the taller and thicker girls, while I do not. There have been times that we've completely disagreed on how attractive a girl was. I've also seen this in women too.

• I'd have to disagree with women feeling attraction in stages.

I can tell in 10 seconds if I'm attracted to someone.

• I think its a good mixture of both actually. Girls are extremely jealous of each other, and the pretty ones are always hated by other girls. They won't even know the girls personality, but if they think they aren't as good looking as the prettier girl, they will trash them and dislike them.

As for the different judging between guys and girls, I think guys have a much more body based scale than face. Girls think other girls are pretty for their eyes or their smile. But most of the time, guys base it off of boobs and butt. So if a girl has the most amazing eyes and flawless facial structure with no boobs or butt, some girls might give her an 8 or 9, where some guys could go with the 5 or 6

Hope this helped!

• Youre like an expert..i totally agree with all of that. I feel shallow but I would never be friends with a girl that I thought was prettier than me...despite whatever her body was like. it depends on her face to girls

• Oh yeah, girls do have different opinions compaired to guys. I'll give an example, there was a TV clip of Ms. Scotland with a friend at Wimbledon and my mum and sister both thought the friend was hotter, trust me, she wasn't.

And a lot of girls have a bit of bitchiness in them so I wouldn't throw the possibility of lying in jealousy out the window.

• Of courese! A woman might spend lots of time making up her eyelashes, thought I might never notice any or care a little. A woman spends hundreds of dollars to her nails but I do not care or look at. women in general desire to put more make up but men often perfer and love staring or watching women when they are not wearing make up, standing in th emiddle of the house, looking rough, oh, it is the best time to cheat and find out the beauty of a woman.

Men look at checkbones and natural body type than maintian diet, make ups, or dress.

we look at how women naturally walks not the way she wants to. we love to steal the way women talks naturally than flirting, licking her nails, fingures or rolling her tough on forefront teeth. Those are all exagerations and men migh not find very attractive. IN general, men like women as they are not the way women often potray themselves or desire to be.

That is the big difference so to me, woman waste their money by making up because I will never care how cute she is with make up but only care her natural cheekbones, and beauty without make up.

• Love your answer, but out of curiosity: why are cheekbones so important?

It's funny because I don't wear a lot of make up, but there are times that I do like looking girly. And I've noticed guys do treat you different when you are make up as oppose to being natural. And one guy I'm talking to wanted me to take a picture of myself during my bleh day. Haha

• guys and girls are different.

guys are visual. girls are emotional.

yes, there are different views of attractivness between the two.

look around at the couples when you are out and about, I am willing to bet a lot that the girls are way more physically more attractive than the guys.

just think of it like this, think of the hottest guy you can, real or in your mind. now, if you had a picture of this dude, naked, and went up to other girls on the street and asked them, if they would have sex with him, you are going to get a lot of yes's

now, show the same picture to random guys you meet, and there are going to be a lot more no's.

• I'm certain of it. And I've noticed that often, gay guys judge female beauty the way that girls/women do.

I can't count the times a girl/woman/gay guy has said something like "Oh! So-and-so is gorgeous!"

Then I see So-and-so and think "Holy sh*t! I think I rode that for a six-count in the rodeo last month!"

Women and gay men should be disqualified as judges in beauty contests except in the talent and fashion portions, where the straight male judges don't care.

• i don't like skinny starved models. I want curves ( in a moderate portions) and a lady that has a healthy body and leads a healthy life. May be she looks nice because of her face.

• i think girls would judge a chick that's hotter than them low why you ask ? well most people believe that a hot chick is either a stuck up bitch or that she is a loose girl or in the guys case she high matienece and always stuck based on her looks honestly hot chicks with hearts or gold and abs of steel and a booty softer than a baby bottom are rare.

• Jealousy could be a factor. But the guys amy think she's hot because she models. I think hotness is judged differently by everyone. What I find attractive the next guy wont. So in a nut shell everyone judge attractiveness differently.

• I think for the most part they judge attractiveness differently

• yes it's quite the truth!

• Absolutely. Girls and Guys are wired differently.

• Yes, men and women judge attractiveness differently. Now, it could be jealousy but who knows.

• Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder... the more you drink the pretty she gets well untill you wake up the next morning and realize the mistake...

What Girls Said 19

• Oh I definitely do. However, not all men are attracted to victorias secret models. I think that's usually a cultural thing.

personally, I'm bisexual and very attracted to women and although victorias secret models are sometimes pretty, they usually don't have the type of curvy body type that I find very sexy. some of them don't have especially amazing faces that attract me either, but not ugly or anything just not my taste sometimes. not to say skinny girls aren't attractive but I have a soft spot for curvy girls. like kanye said "the good life, where we like the girls who ain't on TV because they got more ass than the models." lol oh yeah that's right. I make kanye references. >.<

about the culture thing though, I'm very mixed and I think being part black american and part black latina as well as white shapes my views on beauty. if you put me in a room of very mainstream white guys who love skinny girls like the vicky secret models, the hard bodies and narrow hips and small butts, I'm less likely to have common tastes with them in women. if you put me in a room of black or mixed latin guys who love curvier, softer women with full hips and butts I'm way more likely to have common tastes with them. these are just general basis though judging by culture. there are white guys who like curvy girls (esp. latino white guys) and black guys who like tooth picks but there's definitely a noticeable cultural trend in standards of beauty .

i do think men and women see things differently sometimes though. that's why many of us don't understand each other. ill hear things that some men say that make no logical sense. of course I know lots of guys who would think they sound like idiots too sometimes but other times they are like "well he may not be making much sense but I understand what he's saying." I'm sure men feel the same about women.

also ill go out on a limb and say that women may be more into accepting female beauty in its more natural forms, where sometimes in some cultures (culture plays a huge role in this I'm sorry) men like the most artificial, unnatural archetypes of female beauty constructed for them by the media. they buy into it easier because they are men and don't feel the kind of emotional connection to insecurity concerning female beauty that we may have. if you are on the outside looking in its very different than if you are the one on the inside having people shout at you and judging your body and female beauty.

and I do think lots of girls are jealous but so are lots of guys so I don't really think that's a point. I think men and women may express jealousy differently though.

• There are a lot of women I find beautiful that people don't agree with and others that I think are average that men slobber all over. I don't think it's jealously, but preference. I think with straight women, feminine beauty isn't about attractiveness but aesthetics.

I don't think Megan Fox is beautiful but thought Kate Winslett in Titanic was absolutely stunning. I love Scarlett Johansson but find Jessica Alba's beauty nothing special. I don't find Rihanna very pretty, her looks are severe but Ciara is gorgeous. I think it just depends, as a woman, less on sexuality and more on personal preference. As for jealously, I'm jealous of all the gorgeous women out there - lol - don't matter whether I think they are attractive or not.

• Kate Winslet and Ciara are hotter than Jessica Alba?!

• In my opinion - but I don't want to have sex with them so I guess we're just seeing them from a different perspective.

Lol.

• Jessica Alba is extremely overrated! Plus, she SUCKS at acting. Honestly, she is still around only because of her looks. Pretty-yes. Most Beautiful Women--No.

• I think a lot of woman view girls beauty differently too...because we know everything fake (tan, nails, makeup, hair extensions, boob jobs ext.) that a girl can do to make herself more 'beautiful' to men. So when a woman looks at another woman, it's easy to spot those things & often times we see through it and realize that the girl without all the stuff isn't really that beautiful. So we may be more opinionated & critical when it comes to beauty. Because I'm fine if a girl wants to look her best, I wear makeup at times and am into fashion and taking care of myself. But I consider a girl actually beautiful, when she has none of that and still looks pretty.

Where a man doesn't notice until the next morning when she's not all primped...where as one guy put it to me "That's why you leave when she gets in the shower" or he just doesn't care because as long as she's out in public she looks nice to other men...

• Perfect answer! I was thinking the same thing. Guys and girls DEF view beauty differently.

Guys just see the overall package, while I think girls look for details. ie. I notice nails and brows (I'm a freak about brows, haha), while I'm sure a guy doesn't care about those things.

Also, honestly, most women are illusions. Guys don't know what a Megan Fox has to go through to LOOK like Megan Fox.

Personally, I've always admired girls who were natural beautiful. ie. Rachel McAdams

• Girls sometimes say that out of jealousy, but perception of beauty still vary between men and women. Men don't notice details like women do, they also care less about facial features, e.g. if the woman has a specific flaw, guys may not even notice it at all, because they're distrascted by body parts they find attractive. It's like women don't see the forest because of the tree, men don't see the tree because of the forest.

• Could be jealousy, could be they just don't think she's attractive. Lol like me, a lot of people think Megan Fox is attractive but I just don't. Is it out of jealousy? No, but some girls don't like her because of jealousy. Anyway, everyone is different my opinion on beauty is extremely different than most peoples.

• Girls always know when a girl is 'hot' its a matter of whether they are comfortable enough with themselves to admit it.

Many women see each semi-attractive woman as competition. Its one of the saddest thought processes ever.

• I don't judge by jealousy at all..and most of the times the boys don't find the girls I think are stunning and who most girls think a hot good looking..they chase the ugly girls and I mean it not by jealousy they could get so much prettier girls but they pick the less pretty one =S

• i think like a man when I see a hot girl and they turn me on. ain't gonna lie. sometimes I spot a hot girl from a mile away and my man would be too late to check her out because I already did. he would even say damn woman are you a lesbian? lol. and I even tell him the chick's got a nice ass. lol

• LOL that is funny! A chick don't have to be lesbian to know when another girl is hot! lol Yeah I tell my boyfriend sh*t like that too like "Dang look at that girl in the white shorts" or we were at walmart and I seen this chick that was hot! and got out of walmart and said "did you see that chick in that miniskirt and black jacket that was blonde" and he is like "OMG she is f***ing hot" LOL I do the same thing! ha ha this is funny!

• thats right. lol... I don't hate chicks who are hot because I actually like seeing them.. ;) its good for my eyes. lmao especially if they dress up nice damn! sometimes I would actually ask them where they got it.

• lol, really I don't think it matters as long as your an overall nice guy, plus looking at your profile picture .. if that's actually you., you seem prettttyy jacked my friend :P also it shouldn't just be that you look like but that your physically fit, and that's also a turn on

• Definitely! I myself though, am not afraid to admit when a girl is pretty. Of course jealousy runs all through me. But I'm honest. I'm just as honest as a guy would be. How ever, most girls are stubborn and can't admit when someone looks better then them.

• Well some girls are different than others.

Some are jealous

some put down models because it makes them higher then them [kinda jealous but not really]

then there's girls, such as me, who think that Vic. Secret models and other famous people are beautiful, but we don't envy them or pay attention to status's.

And of course guys aren't as complex as that :P

<3,

Natalie

• oh yea, definitely. that's why there's that term, "girl hot" vs. "guy hot".

• Yes.

But I am bisexual.I can easily call another girl sexy,beautiful,gorgeous etc.I have low self esteem,but I can definitely recognize an attractive girl.Definitely.

Girls who play down Megan Fox:

"Eh,She's average,I've seen better looking" lmfao.Sureee,average,Maxim doesn't agree heehee.

• yes!boys and girls judge attractiveness very differently,not doubt about it!

• Yeah. Girls I find average guys think and bangin' and the ones I find super hot they're like "meh".

• Yes, guys attractiveness is different. I don't think a girl is hot, sexy, or beautiful. I may think a girl is pretty, cute, or average.

• Absolutely. Women have no idea what men actually like. Have you ever seen those ridiculous magazines that have basically anorexic models with no curves whatsoever? Well that is what we "women" are told is what we are supposed to look like. But men don't want a women to be too skinny, just like women don't want men to be too skinny. Men also like some curves, they butt & boobs. While models are not supposed to have either of those, ridiculous. As long as we are talking about curves, women are also told they should have huge boobs in order for men to like them, so plenty of women get implants or are just insecure about their chest size. But, while men like breast, it really is not "that" important. No man is going to say no to a girl just because she isn't a DD. Women are the ones who put these stupid expectations out there. Men have what they like, just like women do, but men don't expect women to be perfect. If I could give women one piece of advice, it would be love your body just the way it is, & some man will appreciate it. The only who cares that much about all this "important" stuff, is women, so quit putting so much pressure on yourself, & enjoy the body God gave you.

• yes I think they do. for example, I look at a girl's hair, the way she dresses, how she carries herself and face to estimate if she's pretty or not. I don't know what guys look at lol. there are some girls that guys go crazy over and I'm like "Her?" because I just don't see it. not that she is butt ugly to me, but she's just not beautiful in my opinion.

i think girls like megan fox and megan good are beautiful and most guys would agree. but then there are some girls that a lot of guys think are hot that I think are overrated. like scarlett johanssen is average looking to me. I don't think she is all that. the lead girl in the movie "the perfect 10" was more like a 7 to me, she was nothing special I though. jessica alba was hot in like 2004/2005 but she's OK looking now. ciara is cute but beyonce is better looking. I don't judge girls on how sexy looking they are, its just facial beauty and how she puts herself together.

• well yes .. but I think its just something between all the people not just boys and girls for example .. I find " Cameron Diaz " really pretty while you don't .. it differs from a person to person .. and about what guys say .. I think .. " the way she moves the way she talks the way she dresses the way she stairs the way she does her hair " make herr " the hottest they ever saw :) some girls just don't Realy try to keep in shape ! :) if you put it in mind U'll do it ;) .